Race For #1 2022 Draft Choice

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2B001718610 wrote: Think it is pretty apparent that the Bucs will finish within the top five, if not the top two, in the draft order.

Wherever they finish, I don't see them drafting Kumar Rocker, and would hope they do not even entertain any thought of doing so.

Whatever prompted the Mets to drop the ball on him, just the fact that he is a Boras client should be enough of a reason to stay far, far, away. As far as the reputed arm problems, I can only say, where there's smoke, there's normally fire.

Hard Pass on Rocker for me.
They had agreed on a signing bonus but then the Mets saw medical data about his shoulder that alarmed them. As a hedge against him having injury issues they wanted to renegotiate downward and Rocker refused.
Have to believe whatever they saw was legitimate. I know a lot of people would have been thrilled to take Rocker instead of Davis, just glad they went in the direction they did.

I was more in the camp of Leiter over Rocker, but they both had some worrisome moments towards the end of their season.
Orioles take over the lead after Arizona sweeps the Phillies
mouse

Post by mouse »

Referring back to the Rocker thoughts, if you like what Ben did this year - getting a discount from the number allocation to allow extra money for later picks - there is no way you take Rocker. Boris (his agent) would never agree to a discount. He wants his client's full allotment plus half the next guy's allotment as well. And he's still miffed he didn't get more.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Sure. And, the owner doesn't want to part with a dime for either Boras' client or the next guy. It's the game behind the game.
Javy

Post by Javy »

63617B7D6B0E0 wrote: Referring back to the Rocker thoughts, if you like what Ben did this year - getting a discount from the number allocation to allow extra money for later picks - there is no way you take Rocker. Boris (his agent) would never agree to a discount. He wants his client's full allotment plus half the next guy's allotment as well. And he's still miffed he didn't get more.
And I was happy with what they accomplished in the draft this year. While it may not be reasonable to match that result every year, it provided a declining fanbase a ray of hope to see how many outside of Pittsburgh felt about the coming talent wave.

Over the last 10 years or so, I have come to believe that taking a top pitcher, either HS or college, in the top 10 or so of the draft is extremely risky. Strasburg is probably the best example of boom and bust in the same package. Exploded on to the scene like a meteor, got hurt, flamed out, was okay for a couple years, big year and world series, and has hardly pitched since. Mark Appel is another bust candidate. They are the 2 extreme risk scenarios I suppose. Give me a position player, particularly college, any day in that premium draft spot.

Still no guarantee, but a higher success possibility.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

162334343F0634343F3834510 wrote: Sure.  And, the owner doesn't want to part with a dime for either Boras' client or the next guy.  It's the game behind the game.
???

they spent all the money they were allowed to spend
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

True. Good point.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

65677D7B6D080 wrote: Referring back to the Rocker thoughts, if you like what Ben did this year - getting a discount from the number allocation to allow extra money for later picks - there is no way you take Rocker. Boris (his agent) would never agree to a discount. He wants his client's full allotment plus half the next guy's allotment as well. And he's still miffed he didn't get more.

I thought this was interesting and showed, at least MLB analyst's thoughts on draft prospects, Obviously it was part of our approach to Davis to get him to go underslot. And this past year's draft gives us some insight into how BC and team might approach next year depending on our draft position.

Draft debuts

Eleven players from the 2021 Draft immediately enter the Top 100 after turning pro. All of them are first-round picks, including the first six selections:

Marcelo Mayer, SS, Red Sox (No. 9, fourth overall choice)

Jack Leiter, RHP, Rangers (No. 12, second overall)

Jordan Lawlar, SS, Diamondbacks (No. 13, sixth overall)

Henry Davis, C, Pirates (No. 23, first overall)

Kahlil Watson, SS, Marlins (No. 28, 16th overall)

Jackson Jobe, RHP, Tigers (No. 50, third overall)

Brady House, SS, Nationals (No. 60, 11th overall)

Colton Cowser, OF, Orioles (No. 83, fifth overall)

Sam Bachman, RHP, Angels (No. 96, ninth overall)

Sal Frelick, OF, Brewers (No. 97, 15th overall)

Matt McLain, SS, Reds (No. 99, 17th overall)
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Orioles with their 18 game losing streak are going to wrap up the #1 draft choice by mid September. The Pirates should pick no later than fourth, which should be a very high rated prospect.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

414D4C171E171F12150A10270 wrote: Orioles with their 18 game losing streak are going to wrap up the #1 draft choice by mid September. The Pirates should pick no later than fourth, which should be a very high rated prospect.

The O’s have officially quit. I’d love to see their run differential over the past month. They don’t just get beat, they get humiliated almost every night. No way they’re this bad.

The last 10 games the Pirates are 5-5. The DBacks 4-6 and the Rangers and O’s 2-10.

The pirates are 3 games back of Rangers and DBacks. 7 behind 0’s.

That big 8 run rally in the 8th….I wonder how many people are going to savor that game this hot stove season? They picked a bad time to pretend to be a .500 team.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The O's never started.

They're in the AL East and have either no pitching, or next to no pitching. For them to move up, they've got to get it.