The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Big news on the relocation front. Oakland now a big step closer to staying in town:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2021/10/27/a ... park-plan/

Listened to them talk about it driving Mister Man to school this morn on MLBNR. However, I also read this article this morning, that sort of puts a leash on the good news for now:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/at ... e-2467177/

The guys on MLBNR said something about a binding resolution by the city and the county will be voted on I think early next year. The binding agreement is what the A's ownership requires.

IDK all the ins and out of this, but apparently the county came up with some sort of new tax designation on all of this stuff, so it's creating new revenue, not just moving it from one place to another. There still has to be environmental impact studies.

But for A's fans, this has to be the best news they've heard so far, because as recently as July/August, things weren't looking so good, then STH got their bills in the mail for renewals that skyrocketed in price.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

634542575E5245535B300 wrote: Big news on the relocation front. Oakland now a big step closer to staying in town:

https://ballparkdigest.com/2021/10/27/a ... park-plan/

Listened to them talk about it driving Mister Man to school this morn on MLBNR. However, I also read this article this morning, that sort of puts a leash on the good news for now:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/at ... e-2467177/

The guys on MLBNR said something about a binding resolution by the city and the county will be voted on I think early next year. The binding agreement is what the A's ownership requires.

IDK all the ins and out of this, but apparently the county came up with some sort of new tax designation on all of this stuff, so it's creating new revenue, not just moving it from one place to another. There still has to be environmental impact studies.

But for A's fans, this has to be the best news they've heard so far, because as recently as July/August, things weren't looking so good, then STH got their bills in the mail for renewals that skyrocketed in price.

If the ballpark shown in the mock-up is anything like what it will actually be then PNC will have another one in the most beautiful ballpark in MLB.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

So interesting discussion on the Tucker Barnhart trade to Detroit, and what it means for that team on MLBNR this morning.

Interesting in that in the course of the conversation, they talked about what could possibly be the outcome of a salary floor for teams that haven't been spending. This was in direct correlation to the possibility of the Tigers reuniting AJ Hinch and Carlos Correa. However, they talked about Correa and other free agents may wait to see what happens with the CBA and a floor.

Because if a floor occurs, low spending teams who are arguably in a rebuild, may just go ahead and try and obtain a Correa, a serious impact player, even if it means a year or two before the team is supposedly "ready".

This goes in contrast to the thought that what some think will occur, that those teams will just overpay a bit for veterans to be 4th outfielders and back up infielder types instead of using LMG's. Talk of a floor is supposedly a way for those mid level vets who probably were really good at one point but have become one or two dimensional (Andrew McCutchen anyone?).

It would (pun intended) positively floor the union if teams went the way of "we'll spend for one super star, and not pay for a team full of nearly washed up vets".

I'm guessing having heard this, that thought process has long been out there. What better way to enhance your contract when you bring in the bottom feeders to the dance now, and with serious conviction? Sure guys want to go to winners, but if they see they will be the centerpiece of a completed rebuild in a year or two, why not take the shot of not if it makes them a few extra million to suffer a season at the bottom?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

You raise good food for thought here, Surg.  Other than the dollars and teams involved, I'm not sure how much of a change would be seen.

I think that there would be (I say "would" because I'm not sure how likely a significant change is going to happen this time around.) some change in competitive balance because some guys will move to franchises that they would have disregarded in the past.   

We've seen clubs going after one or two "studs" and other teams spreading money more widely for years.  So, we'll see that, just more of it because more teams should be in the mix than today.

My question is- how much will any of this affect the MINOR leagues (that I otherwise couldn't care less about)?  If clubs are required to put more money toward the MLB roster, how much would it affect what they do with minor league signings, etc.? 

As for surprising the union?  I doubt that much surprises the union/players anymore.  They know the owners/clubs well enough by now to expect just about anything and every thing.   

All in all, I expect that, as in past "changes," the benefit is more likely to be seen by the upper-tier guys than by the "average" or lesser guys. Pretty much as it should be. The top drives the bottom, not the other way around.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

December 2, 2021 - The lockout begins. The discussion in this thread should be very interesting. This may be the "Battle of All Battles" in professional sports.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

I have been saying this for a while now. Until a true salary cap, that includes a base, is implemented, baseball will still consist of the great majority of the franchises not having a chance to compete. Let’s face it, the Pirates, without this cap for 2022, will again, in all probability, again have the worst record in baseball, again getting the #1 pick in the draft. A base and max would be good for us. If not, I could care less following the Pirates or Major League Baseball. Plus, if the base would be high, Nutty Nutting would sell. They are, along with the Steelers, are going to be irrelevant in the city next year because of upper level decisions. Don’t be surprised of the “no shows” this Sunday at the game. Don’t be surprised if there are more Ravens fans at the game. Watching the Pirates home games last year, you would see more people wearing the opposing teams jerseys and hats. Shut baseball down for the year.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Where are the problems?  Oakland?  Two Florida teams?  Pittsburgh?

Let's look at some attendances.  Oakland.  Two Florida teams.  Pittsburgh.  Baltimore's low, too, but most likely temporary.  That's less typical than these four other places. 

Here, we have the same issues, year in, year out- for not just years.  Decades.  Each one, a bunch of talk.  I can't remember when I HAVEN'T heard about the A's stadium issues.  Florida and Pittsburgh's attendance has been lower-tier for a long time.  Pittsburgh has an owner who won't pony up.  It says something.  Should the Dodgers have to make up for that?

So, I don't blame the other 26 franchises when they don't want to give even more money to these competitors if the money they're already giving them isn't being used productively.

No problem in large market Milwaukee.  While they haven't won a World Series or even a league pennnant in a while, at least they're in the game.

Let's open the books and see who's doing what before we expect other franchises to limit what they do. 
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I think you have stated your opinion on how cheap BN is time and time again on this site. I respect your opinion on that part of the CBA.

Now give us your opinion on some of the other parts of the CBA that need to be discussed. I am looking forward to them.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

How the MLB Luxury Tax Thresholds Have Changed by Year. Per MLBTRs.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

07262E072C24430 wrote: I think you have stated your opinion on how cheap BN is time and time again on this site.  I respect your opinion on that part of the CBA.

Now give us your opinion on some of the other parts of the CBA that need to be discussed.  I am looking forward to them.

My comments are in relation to other members who, more often than I comment on the Pirates payroll issues, talk about some need for a salary cap and floor.  I don't see any criticism of that, but go ahead, call me out.  Since they bring it up, I counter it.  If it isn't brought up, I haven't. 

I'm not in the discussios and no one here that I know of is.  I've read articles that deal iwith disagreements over players' service time, post-season structure, league realignment, and the designated hitter.  I'm not interested enough to make a first comment on them, but if someone else has opinions, I may or may not offer them.

Do you have thoughts on any?

I have no idea how far apart the parties are.  I'm not favoring either side.  I hope for a resolution quickly and assume that they can live with the outcome.  I love the sport enough that I don't get very hung up on certain matters.  It all comes down to a guy on the mound trying to get the guy at the dish out.  May the best men win. May those best men, of course, be the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 2022 and every year!