The Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

Surg, your analogy to the backup QB is a good one. People want to see the backup when the starter is inadequate. There are so many inadequate players on the Pirates, that a roster turnover seems to be the best option. You never know what the alternative will bring, but you know when the status quo can't do the job.
3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

"The #Pirates are likely to be deadline sellers.

Andrew McCutchen, enjoying his best offensive year since 2015, is a fascinating trade candidate.

McCutchen, 36, has never played in a World Series.

One option for Bucs: a summer trade and winter reunion." - Morosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/16 ... 7343078401

"The Rangers are one team to watch with McCutchen.

They are legitimate World Series contenders who have below-average DH production this year.

In 2018, McCutchen played for current Texas manager Bruce Bochy in San Francisco." - Morosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/16 ... 9173239809
ChillinStation

The Roster

Post by ChillinStation »

Cutch must want to play for a winner ? He can come back next year, if the Pirates trade him. Just keep fipping him for players, for the next few years, lol. That`s valuable. ;D

GreenWeenie

The Roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

Interesting thought, but I don't think it flies.

You know that McCutchen would pretty much need to agree to it. Pirates would extend courtesy and run it by him.

If he was that much interested in ring chasing it would've been unlikely that he would have returned to the Pirates. 

And, with the influence he had on selling Reynolds on the benefits of agreeing to terms with the Pirates, I don't see Andrew bailing.

But....stranger things have happened.
WildwoodDave2

The Roster

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7A76772C252C24292E312B1C0 wrote: Not sure if anyone agrees, but Castro needs to be sent to AAA. Bouriki needs to be designated as well. Day off tomorrow, and changes needed to be made prior to Tuesdays game with the Padres.
I am with you
MaineBucs

The Roster

Post by MaineBucs »

If the Bucs continue to flounder (lately a complete flop) prior to the All-Star game, and fall out of any dreams of contention, management should again implement a make-over with the goal of contending in 2024.

My thoughts:

1) Dump Hedges. Catcher is one of the few positions in which the Bucs actually have high quality minor/major league talent in Davis/Rodriguez. They have caught many of the current starting pitchers (Bido, Ortiz, and Oviedo [for a short while], and Priester should be recalled when Hill is traded. Hedges is a sunk cost and it shouldn't matter that he will not garner a return.

2) Play Marcano at SS. He had a good minor league season in 2022, had a ridiculous OPS around 1.145 in 45 at-bats at the beginning of this season in AAA, and he is still young. Let's see how he develops at the major league level. Of the four 24 or younger infielders on the current roster, I believe he has the highest ceiling.

3) Play Bae in CF and see if he can build on last season's minor league stats. Bae is still raw as an outfielder, but he has made some great plays and has the speed to make up for some of his deficiencies. Perhaps Bae could develop into a future Omar Moreno.

4) Shop Santana. I would miss his great defense at 1st, but he does not have a future in Pittsburgh. In the interim, Choi (ugh), Davis, and Rodriguez can handle 1st.

5) Shop Joe. Think along the lines of a Vogey for Holderman trade, however, good relief pitching is in short supply.

6) As suggested in the media, see if McCutchen would entertain a trade to a contender, with a possible reunion next season. McCutchen is one of the few veterans who could yield a reasonable return. I was opposed to signing McCutchen, but he has turned out to be one of the best players on the team.

7) Trade Hill. He has shown that he can still fool hitters in at least half of the games in which he pitches for 5+ innings. Send some cash along in the deal if that increases the return.

8) I like Suwinski, but he is really struggling right now. Perhaps he could benefit from some time at AAA, with Bae moving to center full time, and some combination of Palacios, Mitchell, and Davis taking over in RF.

9) Castro was called up in 2021 even though he was not having a good year in the minors because the Bucs needed another body in the infield. He has more power than any of the other young infield suspects, and can get hot for short stretches, but that is about it. Perhaps he could benefit for some time at AAA to adjust to his future role as a utility player; meaning he also will need some reps in the outfield.

10) Priester should be up after the All-Star game. And, if they are not yet ready to put him in the starting rotation, use him as a long guy out of the pen.

11) With Marcano at SS and Bae in center, Gonzalez should be at 2nd to see if he sinks or swims.

12) The bullpen is a mess. Bucs need to continue to run out the younger pitchers - Moreta, Holderman, Hernandez, De Los Santos, and Modlinski to see if any of them can grow and be a potential asset next year.

13) Disappointing to hear rumblings that the Pirates may pass on Crews because of the $'s. Pirates need good hitters. I hope that they don't pass on the best hitter in this draft. The young talent on the Reds is demonstrating that high quality young hitters can make a difference.

One of the only brighter spots on the team is how the starting pitching has performed. The staff is not loaded with all-stars, but if some combination of Keller, Oviedo, Ortiz, Contreras, Bido, and Priester can grow, the team could have a serviceable starting rotation for next season.

And, looking at next year, if Hedges, Santana, Choi, Velasquez, Garcia, and perhaps Cutch are not on the team (and the GM does not feel compelled to spend $5 mil/season on a worthless catching addition like Hedges or Perez because Davis and Rodriguez are available), there should be at least some small change to throw around next season on a veteran or two and perhaps some better arms for the pen.

I hate to say it, but we are now entering the let's play the rest of this season for next season time.

3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

"We have recalled INF Jared Triolo from Triple-A Indianapolis, and placed INF Ke’Bryan Hayes on the 10-day Injured List (retro June 25)." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1674160594826543106

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... iolo000jar
Surgnbuck

The Roster

Post by Surgnbuck »

Just like I suggested....BOOM!
ChillinStation

The Roster

Post by ChillinStation »

Hayes with his annual injury, his back wouldn`t be hurting if he was hitting. :(
Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

Triolo being recalled to fill in for Hayes.