Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Spring Training Thread

Post by shedman »

6856535B4850505B7B5E495A3F0 wrote: Monday's my regular day off, so I'm actually watching the game today while I do my taxes. Williams looked OK. Offense looks horrid. Maile impressed me with a nice throw to catch a guy stealing second base.

Apparently, the Pirates are literally giving away free tickets to kids for April and May home games. All well and good. Good for them. But sheesh, if this doesn't illustrate the writing on the wall, I don't know what will. Maybe the brass is finally realizing that zero World Series wins in four decades, zero penants in the same amount of time, zero division titles in 28 years, and four winning seasons out of the last 27, isn't a good formula for making and retaining fans.

There's a very simple formula to getting butts in seats...win. Hey Bob, if you're reading this, it's a nice gesture. But people don't care about your pierogi races, guessing what's in the mystery chest, Buccaroos ask the Bucs, Francisco Cervelli's dating advice or whatever gimmick you're doing this year to replace that, catching hot dogs and t-shirts out of an air gun, or fireworks. Do you hear me? WE. DON'T. CARE. We care about winning. We want a team that we can reasonably expect to win every night, that gives us reasonable hope of seeing a World Series win in our lifetimes. That's it. That's what we want. You can give EVERY ticket away for free, and as long as the team is losing, people aren't going to come.

Well said.  I've felt like Pirates games are akin to a church carnival with all of the distractions between innings.  Baseball is secondary.  Half the people are barely aware a game is being played, yet everyone is on the edge of his/her seat when the pierogis race.  I'm so disgusted by what a ball game at PNC Park has become.

I get the church carnival atmosphere but there is one thing that helps make that possible.  That is all the sponsors that support and pay for the pierogi races, hot dog and t-shirt guns etc.  Hey Pennies needs all the money he can get so he can deposit it in the FNB of Wheeling  What I dislike so much is on Friday t-shirt nights or when there is another give away there is always a big sponsor's logo on the item.  Of course that stuff never costs Pennies anything it all falls on the sponsors.

Absolutely, these non-baseball activities are a money grab.  I realize other organization's do these things but once, just once, I'd like to go to a game where the game is actually the central reason for everyone being there. 
That's it in a Nut(ting)shell, Doc. All teams do these things. They do them to enhance the ballpark experience in addition to the game itself. But the Pirates do it to entertain fans despite the actual game for which minimal effort is made.

Right, the between-innings stuff serves as a distraction from the poor effort that goes into the baseball operation, not as an added feature to the game.
Wow, you are now beginning to sound like our distinguished friend from Ohio. AKA Shedman
________

I have been told that people who won't watch the pierogi races are childish.
Bobster21

Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

627974757C707F110 wrote: Monday's my regular day off, so I'm actually watching the game today while I do my taxes. Williams looked OK. Offense looks horrid. Maile impressed me with a nice throw to catch a guy stealing second base.

Apparently, the Pirates are literally giving away free tickets to kids for April and May home games. All well and good. Good for them. But sheesh, if this doesn't illustrate the writing on the wall, I don't know what will. Maybe the brass is finally realizing that zero World Series wins in four decades, zero penants in the same amount of time, zero division titles in 28 years, and four winning seasons out of the last 27, isn't a good formula for making and retaining fans.

There's a very simple formula to getting butts in seats...win. Hey Bob, if you're reading this, it's a nice gesture. But people don't care about your pierogi races, guessing what's in the mystery chest, Buccaroos ask the Bucs, Francisco Cervelli's dating advice or whatever gimmick you're doing this year to replace that, catching hot dogs and t-shirts out of an air gun, or fireworks. Do you hear me? WE. DON'T. CARE. We care about winning. We want a team that we can reasonably expect to win every night, that gives us reasonable hope of seeing a World Series win in our lifetimes. That's it. That's what we want. You can give EVERY ticket away for free, and as long as the team is losing, people aren't going to come.

Well said.  I've felt like Pirates games are akin to a church carnival with all of the distractions between innings.  Baseball is secondary.  Half the people are barely aware a game is being played, yet everyone is on the edge of his/her seat when the pierogis race.  I'm so disgusted by what a ball game at PNC Park has become.

I get the church carnival atmosphere but there is one thing that helps make that possible.  That is all the sponsors that support and pay for the pierogi races, hot dog and t-shirt guns etc.  Hey Pennies needs all the money he can get so he can deposit it in the FNB of Wheeling  What I dislike so much is on Friday t-shirt nights or when there is another give away there is always a big sponsor's logo on the item.  Of course that stuff never costs Pennies anything it all falls on the sponsors.

Absolutely, these non-baseball activities are a money grab.  I realize other organization's do these things but once, just once, I'd like to go to a game where the game is actually the central reason for everyone being there. 
That's it in a Nut(ting)shell, Doc. All teams do these things. They do them to enhance the ballpark experience in addition to the game itself. But the Pirates do it to entertain fans despite the actual game for which minimal effort is made.

Right, the between-innings stuff serves as a distraction from the poor effort that goes into the baseball operation, not as an added feature to the game.
Wow, you are now beginning to sound like our distinguished friend from Ohio. AKA Shedman
________

And they should be made to take a time out in a corner of the ballpark. :)
SyrBucco

Spring Training Thread

Post by SyrBucco »

5E737E6F68796E2E2D1C0 wrote: Cruz and Craig to AAA. RHP Blake Weiman and Cs Delay and Pabst to minor league camp.
I know the site listed Weiman as a RHP, but we should know he's a lefty. We have so few, let's not misstate that!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

56686D65766E6E6545607764010 wrote: Monday's my regular day off, so I'm actually watching the game today while I do my taxes. Williams looked OK. Offense looks horrid. Maile impressed me with a nice throw to catch a guy stealing second base.

Gee, Dave, I thought you liked me.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

524944454C404F210 wrote: Monday's my regular day off, so I'm actually watching the game today while I do my taxes. Williams looked OK. Offense looks horrid. Maile impressed me with a nice throw to catch a guy stealing second base.

________

Consider me a spoiled two year old brat.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

To be honest fans complaining about giveaways, fireworks, etc., has always been one of my biggest pet peeves in all of Pirates fandom (aside from the team itself).  EVERY TEAM DOES THESE THINGS.  To not do them would be negligence on the Marketing Team's part.  I'm under the assumption that the baseball operations and the people who run the marketing/stadium are pretty independent of each other and it's not some super duper secret coverup to hide the play of the team. 

The Dodgers are going to have 18 Bobblehead Giveaways. 

I mean seriously, there are enough real issues without having to invent ones that aren't real.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

6E5C50504476555C51545B5C3D0 wrote: To be honest fans complaining about giveaways, fireworks, etc., has always been one of my biggest pet peeves in all of Pirates fandom (aside from the team itself).  EVERY TEAM DOES THESE THINGS.  To not do them would be negligence on the Marketing Team's part.  I'm under the assumption that the baseball operations and the people who run the marketing/stadium are pretty independent of each other and it's not some super duper secret coverup to hide the play of the team. 

The Dodgers are going to have 18 Bobblehead Giveaways. 

I mean seriously, there are enough real issues without having to invent ones that aren't real.

I have no issue with promotions and giveaways, until they take front and center over the baseball being played.  The Pirates have done that because they don't want to do what it takes to put a winning team on the field.  It's much easier and far less expensive, which is in line with, and meets, the owner's primary goal of making/saving money.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The one that annoys me these days is actually the Pierogi race, mostly because it's just so unoriginal.

But none of the team generated things bug me as much as The Wave.  At least the team waits until the inning is over before they play their silly video or whatever.
Bobster21

Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

11232F2F3B092A232E2B2423420 wrote: The one that annoys me these days is actually the Pierogi race, mostly because it's just so unoriginal.

But none of the team generated things bug me as much as The Wave.  At least the team waits until the inning is over before they play their silly video or whatever.
Agree on the wave. Hated it from day 1.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

33010D0D192B08010C090601600 wrote: The one that annoys me these days is actually the Pierogi race, mostly because it's just so unoriginal.

Wow, do I ever hate the Wave, second on my list of things I want to go away. The pierogis will always be on top.