Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Off Season Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

58434E4F464A452B0 wrote: I'd probably bring him back if everything seems on track.  He seems like a good enough guy despite everything, and if he can get back to something near where he was it would make for a nice piece.

He was my favorite player once they sent Cutch and JHay packing. Really enjoyed his antics.

If he can't pitch anymore, I wonder if he could coach third base?

_______

In the event that no other teams wants him, then I would look at who replaces him for the Pirates.   If he is replaced by a LMG and the overall team salary drops, then it is a salary dump.  We are 29th in team payroll, there is absolutely no reason for the team salary to drop even further.  However, if he is replaced by a major league ball player and the team salary remains the same or increases then that would not be a salary dump.

If the higher paid player is replaced by someone better, I don't see how it could be called a salary dump and I'm not sure how anyone could justify keeping the more expensive player just because they make more money.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

0D3F33332715363F3237383F5E0 wrote: I'd probably bring him back if everything seems on track.  He seems like a good enough guy despite everything, and if he can get back to something near where he was it would make for a nice piece.

He was my favorite player once they sent Cutch and JHay packing. Really enjoyed his antics.

_______

In the event that no other teams wants him, then I would look at who replaces him for the Pirates.   If he is replaced by a LMG and the overall team salary drops, then it is a salary dump.  We are 29th in team payroll, there is absolutely no reason for the team salary to drop even further.  However, if he is replaced by a major league ball player and the team salary remains the same or increases then that would not be a salary dump.

If the higher paid player is replaced by someone better, I don't see how it could be called a salary dump and I'm not sure how anyone could justify keeping the more expensive player just because they make more money.

____

We are the worst team in all of baseball. I am not sure how anyone can justify an even lower team salary just so BOB can pocket more money.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

465D505158545B350 wrote: You're such a Pirates fan!

I'm referring to the decision on Chris Archer.
_______

When the Pirates salary dump Archer, I will give the team that acquires him a 1.

Wait, wait, wait!  If BC dumps Archer, you'll be angry.  Yet if another team acquires him, he's only worth a "1"?  If he's only worth a "1", why would you want him to remain a Pirate?  Don't you want the team to win?
______

1>0.  Will you not be happy until the whole team is LMG's?

I would be ecstatic if the team were full of LMGs and the Pirates were competitive and had a chance to reach the playoffs next year. Because I don't care how much the players are paid, nor how many years they've been in the league. The Pirates don't get any extra runs or wins for those things. I only care about having the best players possible. I wish you did.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

164056424D57474C4156644349454D480A47240 wrote: You're such a Pirates fan!

_______

When the Pirates salary dump Archer, I will give the team that acquires him a 1.

Wait, wait, wait!  If BC dumps Archer, you'll be angry.  Yet if another team acquires him, he's only worth a "1"?  If he's only worth a "1", why would you want him to remain a Pirate?  Don't you want the team to win?
______

I would be ecstatic if the team were full of LMGs and the Pirates were competitive and had a chance to reach the playoffs next year.  Because I don't care how much the players are paid, nor how many years they've been in the league.  The Pirates don't get any extra runs or wins for those things.  I only care about having the best players possible.  I wish you did.

______

That's the rub. How is the determination made that we have "the best players possible"? If it is determined by how many extra wins we get, then I am on board, but if it is determined that the players are "better", yet we remain the worst team in all of baseball, then I will criticize that.
SammyKhalifa

Off Season Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

253E33323B3738560 wrote: I'd probably bring him back if everything seems on track.  He seems like a good enough guy despite everything, and if he can get back to something near where he was it would make for a nice piece.

_______

____

We are the worst team in all of baseball.  I am not sure how anyone can justify an even lower team salary just so BOB can pocket more money.
Well that's the thing I guess. I don't care how much money is spent or earned.
Ecbucs

Off Season Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

has Derek Holland retired yet?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

233835343D313E500 wrote: You're such a Pirates fan!

_______

______

I would be ecstatic if the team were full of LMGs and the Pirates were competitive and had a chance to reach the playoffs next year.  Because I don't care how much the players are paid, nor how many years they've been in the league.  The Pirates don't get any extra runs or wins for those things.  I only care about having the best players possible.  I wish you did.

______

That's the rub.  How is the determination made that we have "the best players possible"?  If it is determined by how many extra wins we get, then I am on board, but if it is determined that the players are "better", yet we remain the worst team in all of baseball, then I will criticize that.

You've said that if the team wins one more game than you see that as improvement and that's what you want. So if the players are better, wouldn't they win more games? Wouldn't that meet your criteria? I'm not sure what you want.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

3A6C7A6E617B6B606D7A486F65696164266B080 wrote: You're such a Pirates fan!

_______

______

______

That's the rub.  How is the determination made that we have "the best players possible"?  If it is determined by how many extra wins we get, then I am on board, but if it is determined that the players are "better", yet we remain the worst team in all of baseball, then I will criticize that.

You've said that if the team wins one more game than you see that as improvement and that's what you want.  So if the players are better, wouldn't they win more games?  Wouldn't that meet your criteria?  I'm not sure what you want.

_____

You must be kidding me. All that Shelton talks about is how good the players are playing and how the have improved all the while we have the worst record in baseball. I don't care how good the players Shelton thinks they are,I care about winning more games.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

5A414C4D444847290 wrote: You're such a Pirates fan!

_______

______

______

You've said that if the team wins one more game than you see that as improvement and that's what you want.  So if the players are better, wouldn't they win more games?  Wouldn't that meet your criteria?  I'm not sure what you want.

_____

You must be kidding me.  All that Shelton talks about is how good the players are playing and how the have improved all the while we have the worst record in baseball.  I don't care how good the players Shelton thinks they are,I care about winning more games.

Is Shelton supposed to say out loud that the players stink? While it's true they do stink, in this age of coddling and building self esteem, I doubt we'll hear that. We're not in the Vince Lombardi era anymore.

Maybe you should start caring about whether or not the players are better. Wouldn't it take better players to win more games? Again, I'm not sure I understand what you want. Are you going to send me that User's Guide I asked for awhile back?
JollyRoger

Off Season Thread

Post by JollyRoger »

Without a doubt one of the best if not the best hockey announcer of all times. If he lives in the Burgh; the Pirates should definitely see if he is interested in doing some part time color commentary. Love the guy!! Will miss him deeply during the hockey season and playoffs