The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

It was.

I wonder why ST was delayed so long. The only reason I can think of is that everyone agrees that the differences are far enough apart.

March 5. Seems excessive to me, if for any other reason.
mouse

Post by mouse »

March 5 seems a negotiating ploy to me. It's the owners saying we don't mind losing a few games or more if need be. The union, whose players will start to lose checks are then supposed to give in and take what the owners are offering. The players are also negotiating when they say that if the season doesn't start as scheduled, they just don't see being able to add playoff games later. Losing playoff money means a lot more to the owners than losing April game money. So now the two can stare at each other and, presumably this week coming up, get serious.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

292B313721440 wrote: March 5 seems a negotiating ploy to me. It's the owners saying we don't mind losing a few games or more if need be. The union, whose players will start to lose checks are then supposed to give in and take what the owners are offering. The players are also negotiating when they say that if the season doesn't start as scheduled, they just don't see being able to add playoff games later. Losing playoff money means a lot more to the owners than losing April game money. So now the two can stare at each other and, presumably this week coming up, get serious.

I don't think that either side minds losing some games all that much. Players were informed to be prepared.

I don't think that either side wants to lose them, though. They know that it's a bad look when there's constant labor unrest. People grow weary of it.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1A2F3838330A38383334385D0 wrote: March 5 seems a negotiating ploy to me. It's the owners saying we don't mind losing a few games or more if need be. The union, whose players will start to lose checks are then supposed to give in and take what the owners are offering. The players are also negotiating when they say that if the season doesn't start as scheduled, they just don't see being able to add playoff games later. Losing playoff money means a lot more to the owners than losing April game money. So now the two can stare at each other and, presumably this week coming up, get serious.

I don't think that either side minds losing some games all that much.  Players were informed to be prepared. 

I don't think that either side wants to lose them, though.  They know that it's a bad look when there's constant labor unrest.  People grow weary of it. 

Good article in today's PG ( 2-21) concerning the effect of the lockout on Bradenton's Economy. I am sure it's the same throughout Florida and Arizona
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

645A5F57445C5C577752455601330 wrote: March 5 seems a negotiating ploy to me. It's the owners saying we don't mind losing a few games or more if need be. The union, whose players will start to lose checks are then supposed to give in and take what the owners are offering. The players are also negotiating when they say that if the season doesn't start as scheduled, they just don't see being able to add playoff games later. Losing playoff money means a lot more to the owners than losing April game money. So now the two can stare at each other and, presumably this week coming up, get serious.

I don't think that either side minds losing some games all that much.  Players were informed to be prepared. 

I don't think that either side wants to lose them, though.  They know that it's a bad look when there's constant labor unrest.  People grow weary of it. 

Good article in today's PG ( 2-21) concerning the effect of the lockout on Bradenton's Economy. I am sure it's the same throughout Florida and Arizona
The effect on the Bradenton economy is very important. Whenever the Pirates or another team training in ST city want to update their facilities they have their hand out looking for the city to pay for all or some of the updates. The 6 weeks of ST are times when additional revenue comes into the city by visitors who attend ST, as well as players and team representatives who are involved in ST. It is time for both sides to get a deal done ASAP.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

If it bleeds, it leads.

It's the same story we see every time there's any kind of strike. Innocent third parties are affected. Just change the names and businesses.

Not every year is going to be boom. Life has its ups and downs. It's hard sometimes to be prepared for the tougher days, but this is why folks should make every effort to. It's especially hard on the folks who bought their businesses after ST 2021. This their first ST in business.

The owners didn't think about the AirBNB owners when they were kicking around whether to lock the players out.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

From various sources there was little progress made with the labor negotiations today. The sides are scheduled to meet again tomorrow, and one would hope that we would begin to hear that progress is being made. If an agreement is not reached by the February 28th date, I could see the sides not getting back to the bargaining table for a few weeks. This would not be good for the sport.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

333F3E656C656D60677862550 wrote: From various sources there was little progress made with the labor negotiations today. The sides are scheduled to meet again tomorrow, and one would hope that we would begin to hear that progress is being made. If an agreement is not reached by the February 28th date, I could see the sides not getting back to the bargaining table for a few weeks. This would not be good for the sport.

the biggest part of the negotiations is that none of the topics discussed are going to help the Pirates. Having a desire to win, no matter the obstacles is what is going to push the Pirates to the top. The question is whether Bob Nutting wants that enough to go for it.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6D4B4A5D4B5B280 wrote: From various sources there was little progress made with the labor negotiations today. The sides are scheduled to meet again tomorrow, and one would hope that we would begin to hear that progress is being made. If an agreement is not reached by the February 28th date, I could see the sides not getting back to the bargaining table for a few weeks. This would not be good for the sport.

the biggest part of the negotiations is that none of the topics discussed are going to help the Pirates.  [highlight]Having a desire to win, no matter the obstacles is what is going to push the Pirates to the top.  The question is whether Bob Nutting wants that enough to go for it.[/highlight]

With all I've read about Cherington and the people he's hired, I believe the management within the organization has that necessary desire to succeed. But, as you pointed out, the roadblock will be Nutting.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7D2B3D29263C2C272A3D0F28222E2623612C4F0 wrote: From various sources there was little progress made with the labor negotiations today. The sides are scheduled to meet again tomorrow, and one would hope that we would begin to hear that progress is being made. If an agreement is not reached by the February 28th date, I could see the sides not getting back to the bargaining table for a few weeks. This would not be good for the sport.

the biggest part of the negotiations is that none of the topics discussed are going to help the Pirates.  [highlight]Having a desire to win, no matter the obstacles is what is going to push the Pirates to the top.  The question is whether Bob Nutting wants that enough to go for it.[/highlight]

With all I've read about Cherington and the people he's hired, I believe the management within the organization has that necessary desire to succeed.  But, as you pointed out, the roadblock will be Nutting. 
I agree. Nutting doesn't want to lose. But he draws the line at spending money. Ideally for him, he would hire a Cherington who would make significant and necessary improvements throughout the system and create a winning team despite the lack of funding provided by Nutting. Nutting thought Huntington could be that guy but ultimately decided he needed an upgrade over Huntington. If Nutting didn't care, there would have been no reason to replace him. We may never know Cherington's motives for taking the job but I suspect he saw a challenge of building an organization from the ground up with minimal financial support. I think he and the people he has brought on want to win. The problem is that their desire to win is stronger than Nutting's and at some point he will become a roadblock when the team needs to increase payroll enough to retain and/or add more talent to get over the hump.