general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Re: The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:35 pm
Doc wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:30 pm
Bobster wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:43 pm
We don't need him. We've got Suwinski (.174) and Taylor (.195).
Yeah, together they add up to .369.
For some reason , the bucs never really gave him a decent shot. you know,
Shelton and his analytics
yes, for some reason they decided he should be an outfielder, even though at the time he was hitting like a utility infielder.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Ecbucs wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:56 pm
Doc wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:30 pm

Yeah, together they add up to .369.
yes, for some reason they decided he should be an outfielder, even though at the time he was hitting like a utility infielder.
He was a .250 hitter for the Pirates. Currently they Ofers Suwinski (.173), Taylor (.195) and Olivers (.224). Even Cutch is below .250.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bobster wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:48 pm

He was a .250 hitter for the Pirates. Currently they Ofers Suwinski (.173), Taylor (.195) and Olivers (.224). Even Cutch is below .250.
we wish he was a 250 hitter for Bucs, his average with Pirates was 211 and his oba was 259 with a slugging of 314.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Ecbucs wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:35 pm

we wish he was a 250 hitter for Bucs, his average with Pirates was 211 and his oba was 259 with a slugging of 314.
I was talking about Andujar. You're talking about Cole Tucker.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bobster wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:27 pm
sorry, and I agree the Bucs never gave Andjuar a shot. The only thing I could think of at the time is that they didn't think he could play the outfield. I always wondered why if that was the case they didn't play him at first.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Ecbucs wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:15 pm
Bobster wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:27 pm

sorry, and I agree the Bucs never gave Andjuar a shot. The only thing I could think of at the time is that they didn't think he could play the outfield. I always wondered why if that was the case they didn't play him at first.
He seems to be holding up well in the OF in Oakland and he played a few games at 1b in the minors so it appears the possibility was there. Alas, tis the Bucco's front office were are talking about...
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Yes, Miguel Andujar is the savior the Pirates let get away.

Let's take a reality check, and see where he's at by the end of the season.

Honestly this fan base. Same ones that pronounced Nogowski the second coming too.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Surgnbuck wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:50 pm Yes, Miguel Andujar is the savior the Pirates let get away.

Honestly this fan base. Same ones that pronounced Nogowski the second coming too.
Not saying that at all, but would be nice to not DFA a guy that is hitting .328 as a starter the next season.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Surgnbuck wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:50 pm Yes, Miguel Andujar is the savior the Pirates let get away.

I think the problem may have been that the Pirates expected him to be a savior. After a great rookie season in 2017, Andujar was hindered by injuries and slumps. When he spent time back in AAA in 2021 and 2022 he hit very well. But when he still struggled with the Yankees, they waived him in September 2022. The Pirates selected him but the season was nearly over so he only got into 9 games, hitting a modest .250. He started 2023 in AAA and after a good start was recalled in late April. But he struggled and was optioned in mid May. This seemed to really sour Cherington on him and Andujar remained at AAA until being recalled in September despite hitting .353 with 13 HRs at AAA from mid May thru August. He played extensively for the Pirates in September and batted .302.

But despite a need for good hitting OFers Cherington waived him that November. His great stats at AAA in 2023 and the Pirates that September were somehow not enough to keep him. Maybe Cherington had just expected too much and was disappointed Andujar had not been an asset to the Bucs that season. And instead of holding onto a player who was beginning to look very promising in an area of need, they gave up on him. Based on how he hit for Indy and for the Pirates in September last year, Andujar's stats in Oakland don't seem surprising (although only 2 HRs is disappointing). Cherington talks of patience and demonstrates it to a fault with Suwinski, Tellez, Taylor and even Hayes. But he was quick to waive Andujar who appeared on the verge of becoming very productive. Makes me wonder if Cherington expected too much too soon from Andujar and became impatient.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bobster wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:38 pm

I think the problem may have been that the Pirates expected him to be a savior. After a great rookie season in 2017, Andujar was hindered by injuries and slumps. When he spent time back in AAA in 2021 and 2022 he hit very well. But when he still struggled with the Yankees, they waived him in September 2022. The Pirates selected him but the season was nearly over so he only got into 9 games, hitting a modest .250. He started 2023 in AAA and after a good start was recalled in late April. But he struggled and was optioned in mid May. This seemed to really sour Cherington on him and Andujar remained at AAA until being recalled in September despite hitting .353 with 13 HRs at AAA from mid May thru August. He played extensively for the Pirates in September and batted .302.

But despite a need for good hitting OFers Cherington waived him that November. His great stats at AAA in 2023 and the Pirates that September were somehow not enough to keep him. Maybe Cherington had just expected too much and was disappointed Andujar had not been an asset to the Bucs that season. And instead of holding onto a player who was beginning to look very promising in an area of need, they gave up on him. Based on how he hit for Indy and for the Pirates in September last year, Andujar's stats in Oakland don't seem surprising (although only 2 HRs is disappointing). Cherington talks of patience and demonstrates it to a fault with Suwinski, Tellez, Taylor and even Hayes. But he was quick to waive Andujar who appeared on the verge of becoming very productive. Makes me wonder if Cherington expected too much too soon from Andujar and became impatient.
I think you are right, and it still baffles me that they did not attempt to make him a first baseman. I would think if Connor Joe can do it, Andujar can too.