Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Once again, the guy who has no defense resorts to his typical personal attack mode.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

6B5E4949427B49494245492C0 wrote: Once again, the guy who has no defense resorts to his typical personal attack mode.
Personal attack?!?!?! :D :D :D

You being overly sensitive over the fact I pointed out how all of a sudden Chasen Shreve became oh so important to you when you know for a fact you couldn't drudge up more than one comment all season stating along the lines of, "This guy is a keeper. BC really needs to find a way to keep him" isn't an attack old sage. It's pointing out the obvious.

On the other hand, I also pointed out that Shreve was among the group of 28 and older somethings, a group of 29 on the Pirates, of who only TWO had a WAR indicating MLB starter material, and Shreve wasn't one of them. The "prime of their career guys" post if you will. Shreve however did post a 1.1, which means he was just about league average. In his prime. He's part of the purge I predicted was going to happen, and lo and behold it's already started.

You don't make a team better by keeping 60 percent of a 40 man roster populated with guys who should be in their prime on a team that lost 100 games. If they were prime time players, the Pirates would have been too.

Not an attack.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

One would think that you'd come up with a different schtick by now.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

0134232328112323282F23460 wrote: One would think that you'd come up with a different schtick by now. 
My dad always said it's good to have a lot of schticktoitiveness
BellevueBuc

Off Season Thread

Post by BellevueBuc »

Yerry De Los Santos and Cristofer Melendez were both resigned to one year minor league deals.

De Los Santos seems like he has a good chance to contribute next year, had lots of injuries early in his career. Melendez did not have a great ERA, and has control issues, but he throws 100
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

406661747D71667078130 wrote: One would think that you'd come up with a different schtick by now. 
My Father used to say " no matter how much Mayonnaise you use, you can't make Chicken Salad out of Chicken SH$T."
DemDog

Off Season Thread

Post by DemDog »

7D43464E5D45454E6E4B5C4F182A0 wrote: One would think that you'd come up with a different schtick by now. 
My Father used to say " no matter how much Mayonnaise you use, you can't make Chicken Salad out of Chicken SH$T."

I bet Penn & Teller or the Masked Magician could! :D :D :D :D
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Dodgers sign Andrew Heaney to one year and 8.5 million dollars.

Not a good omen for the Pirates, if that's the going market for low hanging fruit.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Because there isn't much in terms of other discussions, copied & pasted the summary from an article on MLB.com that's their final Power Ratings for the year and so far, heading toward next season. I dnk how they determined their rankings. They offered commentary on the top five. I didn't paste that, but you can read that on your own if you're so inclined.

1. Braves

2. Dodgers

3. Rays

4. Brewers

5. White Sox

Astros

Yankees

Giants

Red Sox

Blue Jays

Padres

Cardinals

Mariners

Mets

Phillies

A’s

Tigers

Marlins

Angels

Twins

Reds

Cleveland

Cubs

Royals

Nationals

Rockies

Rangers

Pirates

D-backs

Orioles
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

286B72697A6F7E68281B0 wrote: "Pirates All-Star CF Bryan Reynolds is drawing significant interest in the trade market, with the Yankees and Mariners among potential suitors, but the team feels no pressure to move him. He won’t be a free agent until after 2025, and an extension remains possible." - Morosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/14 ... 4805029890

"Price tag on Pirates star CF Bryan Reynolds is thought 'astronomical.' It probably should be. Outstanding two-way player with years to go before free agency. Yankees, Marlins, Phillies and many others looking at CF." - Heyman

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/14 ... 5420618756
Obviously the fan base would be in a uproar