The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

4C484077617144636C020 wrote: A few playing Indy ball on the East Coast

Moskos and Milledge - Lancaster Barn Stormers

Jerry Sands - Somerset Patriots (also has former Cub All Star Bryan LaHair)

Albaladejo - Bridgeport Bluefish

Beimel - New Britain Bees

What do these guys make where they are still playing?  Joe Beimel is 40 years old and made over $7 million in his career.

I don't know what baseball players make the independent Southern Professional Hockey Assn has a $5000 a week salary cap which means players average around 300 a week. Don't know if they get any housing or meal money on top of it.

definitely playing independent ball mostly for fun rather than money.

As a former pseudo-semi-professional guitarist, I figure it's got to be similar to music in that even doing it for next to nothing is a good life if you truly love it. I think it was Penn Jillette who said that a bad day in show business is better than a good day doing anything else.
When in doubt I always go with Penn Jillette. ;)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I just wondered if its enough to make a living or if they get paid as they bring in the fans: Come see former MLB Player ________.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: I just wondered if its enough to make a living or if they get paid as they bring in the fans:  Come see former MLB Player ________. 
I don't think they can make a living off their pay. I knew a former Oriole who was playing in an independent league but he had a regular job too.
NJBucsFan

The Departed

Post by NJBucsFan »

The Atlantic League is basically the king of the independent leagues, and as of a few years ago the maximum salary was $3,000 a month. They don't really market the former major leaguers unless they're well known. Pete Incaviglia and Jose Canseco played there for a while at the end of their careers. The major leaguers who play there most are guys like Will Pennyfeather, who played in the Atlantic League for years, but it's not like he sold a lot of tickets on his name.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/service ... /n-3379254
Jerseykc

The Departed

Post by Jerseykc »

7C777F7376776C292F586179707777367B77180 wrote: I just wondered if its enough to make a living or if they get paid as they bring in the fans:  Come see former MLB Player ________. 

Sparky Lyle managed the Somerset Patriots team (NJ) for years. So that would bring fans out. They ususally pack the place and its a nice ballpark. We went with my neice's little league team years ago and she got to throw out the first pitch. My wife, a huge Yankee fan, went with her to the dugout. She said to Sparky "You always had a great slider". He laughed and said "Well, that was a long time ago" and gave them a couple of signed baseballs.

Many years ago, I worked in the college summers in the factory that used to sit on the site (American Cyanamid). We also used their baseball fields when we were kids. Now it is all big box retail stores and this ballpark.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports reports Pedro Alvarez is planning to opt out of his minor league deal with the Orioles. Apparently the Orioles have no plans to recall him from Norfolk (AAA) where he's hitting poorly (.223/.296/.456) and not playing well in the outfield.
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Jeff Locke went 5 2/3 last night vs Dbacks gave up one run and had 7 k's . Sounds like the Marlins are very happy with his first outing of 2017.
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

537E73626574632320110 wrote: Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports reports Pedro Alvarez is planning to opt out of his minor league deal with the Orioles. Apparently the Orioles have no plans to recall him from Norfolk (AAA) where he's hitting poorly (.223/.296/.456) and not playing well in the outfield.

Korean League here we come
DemDog

The Departed

Post by DemDog »

02303C3C281A39303D383730510 wrote: Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports reports Pedro Alvarez is planning to opt out of his minor league deal with the Orioles. Apparently the Orioles have no plans to recall him from Norfolk (AAA) where he's hitting poorly (.223/.296/.456) and not playing well in the outfield.

Not just yet Sammy according to MLBTR Alvarez and Os come to temp extention
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

7F5E567F545C3B0 wrote: Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports reports Pedro Alvarez is planning to opt out of his minor league deal with the Orioles. Apparently the Orioles have no plans to recall him from Norfolk (AAA) where he's hitting poorly (.223/.296/.456) and not playing well in the outfield.

Not just yet Sammy according to MLBTR  Alvarez and Os come to temp extention
I had to chuckle at this line from the article, "Alvarez’s experiment in the outfield hasn’t gone well, and the O’s are considering him a left-handed-hitting DH at this point." So the Orioles discovered that as an outfielder, Pedro makes a good LH DH! :)