The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4E70757D6E76767D5D786F7C2B190 wrote: $350,000,000 is not enough for Juan Soto

It’s hard for me to imagine my boss offering me $350 million and I say no.  But after reading the article, it looks like Soto was right to do so.  He could very well earn less than $27 million on average over the next three years but, as long as he remains healthy, he stands to earn a lot more after that.
I think when an already rich player (he made 8.5 million last year) turns down more than he could spend in a lifetime, he wants out of that city. There's probably no amount of money the Nats could offer to get him to sign an extension with them.

That makes sense especially for him.  In addition to the big contract, he’ll want a better chance to reach the playoffs more often and to win a World Series.  His chances of doing those two things in Washington are not nearly as great as in other cities.

Today's Labor Talks lasted 15 minutes. heck, iot takes that long to do a roll call! :'(
These meetings which last only a few minutes will not get a deal done. The parties better get into a room, and sit down and discuss the proposals, and figure out what each party can live with over the next several years.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Doesn't sound to me that they have a sense of urgency yet. So, they lose some spring training. Some think that's too long, anyway. Another week or two, and it's another story. I expect that we'll hear the same stuff for a while.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

6055424249704242494E42270 wrote: Doesn't sound to me that they have a sense of urgency yet.  So, they lose some spring training.  Some think that's too long, anyway.  Another week or two, and it's another story.  I expect that we'll hear the same stuff for a while.
IDK if it's too long ST...seems a lot has been said about the injuries with abbreviated ST. Regardless, people need to realize owners have a large bank right now. Season tickets are just about paid in full and they certainly have sold a number of individual game tickets. All the lower seating is sold for one of the Yankee games. They don't have to worry so much about losing games because they already have a good bit of income for the games. IDK what full season equivalents are for the Pirates but I would guess no less than 8 or 9 thousand. I would guess between seaso tix and single game advance tix Bob is probably sitting on 400000-500000 tickets sold already. They certainly have learned people who have a pretty spot on number of percentage of people who will take credit over refund.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

15333421282433252D460 wrote: Doesn't sound to me that they have a sense of urgency yet.  So, they lose some spring training.  Some think that's too long, anyway.  Another week or two, and it's another story.  I expect that we'll hear the same stuff for a while.
IDK if it's  too long ST...seems a lot has been said about the injuries with abbreviated ST. Regardless, people need to realize owners have a large bank right now. Season tickets are just about paid in full and they certainly have sold a number of individual game tickets. All the lower seating is sold for one of the Yankee games. They don't  have to worry so much about losing games because they already have a good bit of income for the games. IDK what full season equivalents are for the Pirates but I would guess no less than 8 or 9 thousand. I would guess between seaso tix and single game advance tix Bob is probably sitting on 400000-500000 tickets sold already. They certainly have learned people who have a pretty spot on number of percentage of people who will take credit over refund.
Question: is the CBA always for the same length of time or is that negotiable as well?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I've heard on the radio- 5 years, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Seems as though the minute a deals made, they start cranking up the next one, and that takes just as long to get done.

These are two sets of people who just don't like one another. Yet, they need each other.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

784D5A5A51685A5A51565A3F0 wrote: I've heard on the radio- 5 years, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Seems as though the minute a deals made, they start cranking up the next one, and that takes just as long to get done.

These are two sets of people who just don't like one another.  Yet, they need each other.
MLB just suspended Spring Training through March 6th-
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

714F4A42514949426247504314260 wrote: I've heard on the radio- 5 years, but it doesn't sound right to me.

These are two sets of people who just don't like one another.  Yet, they need each other.
With that announcement, I certainly don't see the season starting on time
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Manfred says that they have until the 28th for the season's start to be in question.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4A7471796A727279597C6B782F1D0 wrote: I've heard on the radio- 5 years, but it doesn't sound right to me.

With that announcement, I certainly don't see the season starting on time
Correction= March 5
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

497C6B6B60596B6B60676B0E0 wrote: Manfred says that they have until the 28th for the season's start to be in question.
I believe that was before today's announcement. If Spring Training is suspended through March 5th, there is no way the season can start on March 31