Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just saw a note from Jason Mackey saying that Cutch is officially coming back for 2024. Contract is another 5 million dollars.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:42 pm Just saw a note from Jason Mackey saying that Cutch is officially coming back for 2024. Contract is another 5 million dollars.
Mackey also noted there could be another announcement whenever they officially announce that Cutch is returning. Possibly another pitcher ?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ecbucs wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:10 pm
Possum wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:54 pm Hey Doc, don't torture us with thoughts of Carpenter becoming a Bucco. You remind me of the pimps walking on Bourbon St inviting us to see the stripers. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
there are pimps in New Orleans enticing you to see candy stripers?
HAHA. I didn’t even notice the misspelling. My mind was, uh, wandering.
Dutton

Post by Dutton »

I didn't think the Pirates would officially re-sign Cutch until the 60-day IL reopened. But with his signing, and the Martin Perez addition - both good moves - we have to trade or DFA 2 players. A trade would possibly be ideal, but if we end up taking two players off the 40-man, who goes? I'll argue for one pitcher and one position player.

Position player candidates:
Alika Williams is a major league shortstop as a fielder, but a minor league hitter. Where would be if someone grabbed him? You could argue that there's not much difference between Williams and Alcantara, who the Bucs signed on a minor league contract. Longer term, Cheng is arguably a better SS prospect. So I don't think there's much risk in DFA'ing Alika Williams. The only other position player candidates that could even be considered would be Josh Palacios or Canaan Smith-Njigba. But Palacios was our best PH last year, and Smith-Njigba projects as the only OF available for callup if anyone on the 26-man gets hurt,

Pitcher is not a tougher decision. The Bucs thought enough of Max Kranick to carry him all year on the IL. Now that he's ready to return, why would we cut him? He appears to be out of options but I wonder if the club could petition for an extra option due to Kranick's injury.Whether or not Kranick is DFA'ed may hinge on it. While Kranick has been a starter, the Bucs have a few righty relievers - the most fungible of any MLB position - that they would like to keep but could survive their loss. The best example is Colin Selby. A 9.00 ERA last season should be enough to keep him from being grabbed if DFA'ed, but even if he is, we have some minor league free agents who would probably be better anyway. Ben Heller or Ryder Ryan would be good options.

So there you have it: DFA Alika Williams and Colin Selby, and enjoy our new signings!
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

C Joey Bart might be traded or released. I can see him being a target.BC loves former 1st rounders. I wouldnt mind that.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

PooperScooper ! wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:39 pm C Joey Bart might be traded or released. I can see him being a target.BC loves former 1st rounders. I wouldnt mind that.
I could see them signing Stallings to a Minor League contract, with an invitation to ST.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates are a little under 20 million dollars with player acquisition so far this offseason. They probably have another 12 to 15 million to spend if they want to exceed what they spent last offseason.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I see no reason to keep Williams, Cruz is back and the bucs have a large stable
of infielders
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am a little surprised the Pirates signed Jake Lamb to a Minor League contract. I assume he is being signed as depth, but I wonder if teams have asked the Pirates about Triolo ? Triolo is the perfect backup for third base and first base, so are teams asking if the Pirates would move him for pitching. If so, Lamb could be the back up for Hayes, and could play first base on occasion.