Trade Deadline Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Pass on the Pirates being buyers. The Pirates did control their own destiny, seeing that the brewers immediately plummeted in the standings. But while the Pirates tanked in Colorado and SF, they are now 4.5 games behind the cubs. Chasing the Cubs is different than chasing the Brewers.

They should probably see if they can get controllable assets for the bullpen for Watson and Nicasio.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0B36312B36315F0 wrote: About Velander, if he gets dealt, Detroit will have to pick up lots of salary. I've seen some folks saying around 30 million of the 67 still owed.

So I proposed earlier Verlander and 35 million for Gage Hinsz and Oddy Nunez.  We are on the hook for 32 million. 

The only thing I'd be concerned about is some sort of 22 million vesting option for 2021.

I think RichD is on the right track, just paying to much. My guess is the Tigers eat a lot of salary. This has AJ written all over it.

I was talking with a buddy the other day and we agreed that the most important player the Pirates have had on the roster (not the BEST, the most important) under Neal is AJ. Attitude (the right kind), every play matters (even when he was sitting in the dugout), no crap from anyone and total respect from the team. At the time of the trade I had yankee fans telling me the Pirates were crazy. The rest is history.

Neal has not done a single "big" deal since. (and the team was so cheap they basically offended him out of town for a year). Go after V, make a splash and bring someone in that even a guy like Marte would have to respect. (Can you imagine if Marte stood by as a ball dropped 10 feet from him with AJ on the mound, of even in the dugout?).

How about this trade: Marte for V, one mid prospect and salary relief?

I'd do it. In a heart beat. Imagine the fans that would show up.

Neal needs to pull the trigger on something that moves the needle for both the team and the fans.

rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline Thread

4A41494540415A1F196E574F464141004D412E0 wrote: I would take Verlander, but not with Marte included.  Marte and Harrison involved will open up two holes in the outfield.  McCutchen might be on his way out.  I can't see getting rid of another all star outfielder too.  Plus, pitching depth is the Pirates strength.

If we had an All Star in LF I'd agree with you. But we've got Marte. I'd move him in an instant for the right deal.
Speedloader88

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Speedloader88 »

1F242E25094D0 wrote: I live in Tuscaloosa !

Im the only Pirate fan in this town.

Not sure many here at home realize, there are other sports besides football !

You cant find a MLB FAN anywhere in this town .Maybe an old man or women who watched the Braves on TBS . BUT THATS IT
sorry to hear that.  Being a Pirate fan should at least make you a curiosity among the crowds.

Lots of Pirates hats being worn in this town. I went up to a guy that had a Pirates hat on and started taliking about the team.

He  looked at me as a crazy old white man.  ::)

When I wear a hat .Its not for fashion . I mean it.

Hats are now used as Gang Identifiers. Different sets and cliques use the hats of different professional sports teams like the bloods and the crips use to use the red and blue bandanas. These gang members mostly know absolutely nothing about the team the hat represents because in their world that hat is "Theirs" and they will kill for it. Depending on what neighborhood, city or region you are in, I would recommend some level of caution when trying to cozy up with a fellow Pirate fan if you are uncertain or inexperienced in that environment. Just wanted to share for awareness.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Good post about Burnett. I agree about his leadership. Adding Martin was huge too. Burnett did tell the bullpen to sit down once and they did. Amazing respect there. The team was winning too. Winning solves a lot of problems.

Major moves weren't really needed in the past. Now, is a better time to make a major move. I just don't know what that move should be. Of course, it is a weak deadline this year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

7E796F67697E39354C6B616D6560226F63610C0 wrote: I would take Verlander, but not with Marte included.  Marte and Harrison involved will open up two holes in the outfield.  McCutchen might be on his way out.  I can't see getting rid of another all star outfielder too.  Plus, pitching depth is the Pirates strength.

If we had an All Star in LF I'd agree with you. But we've got Marte. I'd move him in an instant for the right deal.

Not even 100 at bats and one dropped ball and we are done with Marte? Geeez! I don't recall this position the last four years.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline Thread

262D25292C2D367375023B232A2D2D6C212D420 wrote: I would take Verlander, but not with Marte included.  Marte and Harrison involved will open up two holes in the outfield.  McCutchen might be on his way out.  I can't see getting rid of another all star outfielder too.  Plus, pitching depth is the Pirates strength.

Not even 100 at bats and one dropped ball and we are done with Marte?  Geeez!  I don't recall this position the last four years. 

I really hate to rag on players, Marte deserves it. And you know that this year alone there is way more than 1 dropped ball. He let this team down for 81 games before he dropped that ball. And he's been guilty of taking plays off since he's been in the majors. I'm convinced he's been a bad role model for Polanco.

He should be an All Star. He's capable of being an MVP. The fact is, however, he's neither.

And That one ball - lost them a critical game BTW.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, you can make the argument that he's personally responsible for torpedoing the whole season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

He was an All Star last year. He has been the best defender in LF for a few years now. He just got back from a suspension.

I agree, he killed this season for the Pirates. But that doesn't mean he isn't talented and a super star on the rise.

Big misplay on a ball, I saw the replay. Players make errors all the time. Even the great ones. If it continues, yeah there is a problem. He has played in 22 games. Sorry, I will give him more time before I call him a bum and give up on him.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline Thread

78737B777273682D2B5C657D747373327F731C0 wrote: He was an All Star last year.  He has been the best defender in LF for a few years now.  He just got back from a suspension.

I agree, he killed this season for the Pirates.  But that doesn't mean he isn't talented and a super star on the rise.

Big misplay on a ball, I saw the replay.  Players make errors all the time.  Even the great ones.  If it continues, yeah there is a problem.  He has played in 22 games.  Sorry, I will give him more time before I call him a bum and give up on him.

I didn't call him a bum. I've said before - I don't think he has an attitude that is good for him or this team. I'd rather cash that talent in on something more dependable.