Let the rumor mill begin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

iabucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by iabucco »

5F7B627578637560140 wrote: Is there anyone really out there that excites you and would really help the Pirates make the playoffs and make a run in the playoffs?  I like Happ but I don't think he really excites me that he will make the pirates legitimate.  That should be NH's job to search and find a piece to help this team.  If they don't do it now they better do it during the off season. 
---

And if they don't do it this off season, they better do it at next year's trade deadline.

:), I see what you did there...
SCBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SCBucco »

This is going to be a status quo deadline. Everyone ahead or within shouting distance will have a good add or two, while Pittsburgh adds nothing significant at all.
SCBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SCBucco »

405E485D4A41290 wrote: It is being reported at this moment that the Yankees are acquiring JA Happ from the Jays for Brandon Drury and a minor leaguer. So, we could've easily got him. So goes the newest summer of our discontent. The Bucs miss the chance to sell and they won't buy.

So, who is equal to Drury and McKinney that Pittsburgh easily gets Happ as a rental? Do tell. Drury has good back to back years in Arizona; is young and controllable and McKinney isn't a bad prospect. Again, who?
dmetz

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by dmetz »

14040532242428470 wrote: It is being reported at this moment that the Yankees are acquiring JA Happ from the Jays for Brandon Drury and a minor leaguer. So, we could've easily got him. So goes the newest summer of our discontent. The Bucs miss the chance to sell and they won't buy.

So, who is equal to Drury and McKinney that Pittsburgh easily gets Happ as a rental?  Do tell.  Drury has good back to back years in Arizona; is young and controllable and McKinney isn't a bad prospect.  Again, who?

Market looks good for selling Nova. If we're not buying, sell
iwatch

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by iwatch »

How about either Newman or Tucker and Jordan George? No major league experience but prospects. Drury isn't exactly a top line hitter.
dmetz

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by dmetz »

3F213722353E560 wrote: How about either Newman or Tucker and Jordan George?  No major league experience but prospects. Drury isn't exactly a top line hitter.

Newman and Tucker are beloved prospects here. Beloved. Happ is a couple month rental, is he not?
iwatch

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by iwatch »

Are we trying to win?

Truth be told (from my perspective- which is pretty casual) the winning streak has deceived us. We aren't a playoff team. I'd be selling. BUT, if we're not selling then trade one of our multiple middle IF to try to improve.
dmetz

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by dmetz »

322C3A2F38335B0 wrote: Are we trying to win?

Truth be told (from my perspective- which is pretty casual) the winning streak has deceived us. We aren't a playoff team. I'd be selling. BUT, if we're not selling then trade one of our multiple middle IF to try to improve. 

We are trying to win under our terms, which is always the caveot.   I always feel like we aren't trying hard enough, others disagree.

So your question is not that easily answered. 

The caveot in the current situation being that Meadows needs to stay down to get under super two.   So we are trying to win today with SRod playing CF. 

I just read bostick has just a few days ago come off the DL for an appendicitis.   So maybe that's why he's not an option?

Of COURSE we are trying to win.   Within "reason". The season is already a success. We are in position to add. That's the goal.
mouse

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by mouse »

I'd be selling as well, and I really think that's what NH will do, given the slightest chance (i.e., any set of losses in the next few days). He's going to have a budget problem next year. His number will be lower because attendance has been down. As a practical matter, this doesn't feel like a playoff team. They seem way too sporadic.
dmetz

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by dmetz »

3133292F395C0 wrote: I'd be selling as well, and I really think that's what NH will do, given the slightest chance (i.e., any set of losses in the next few days). He's going to have a budget problem next year. His number will be lower because attendance has been down. As a practical matter, this doesn't feel like a playoff team. They seem way too sporadic.

I agree that it's unlikely a true contender this time.  Possible but seems unlikely.

Problem is this incredible stretch is going to provide cover to not buy or sell, if that's in fact what happens.