The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Steven Brault has signed with Frederick of the Atlantic League.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

Dick Groat passed away today.
ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

406D60717667703033020 wrote: Dick Groat passed away today. 

RIP, of course.

It looks like the Pirate Hall of Fame ceremony is scheduled for August 26. It seems like four months is plenty of time to expand this circle to include Law.
GreenWeenie

The Departed

Post by GreenWeenie »

Yes, but I'm not sure how well that would be received.

"You're in now because some other guy....couldn't quite be here, so we want you in before the same thing happens to you......."

If it was my call, i wouldn't want to go there.

It's a tough situation.

ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

I don't think anyone thinks Friend, Face, Groat, and Tekulve were the only deserving candidates. Law is going to go in, Al Oliver, Wilbur Cooper's going in. As long as they're picking among qualified people, they might as well give some credit to people who are around to appreciate the compliment.
WildwoodDave2

The Departed

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Totally agree
GreenWeenie

The Departed

Post by GreenWeenie »

I agree that he should go in.  I don't think that he should go in under these circumstances; perhaps can be worded better.

Out of respect to the men who passed away, I would choose to decline.  That's not borne of spite.  It's respect to the guys who were announced. 

Like I said, It's not the easiest of situations.  I'm glad that I'm not involved in this. 
ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

I apologize if I've been brusque: I've had a sore spot about this sort of issue since Dick Allen came up one vote short in the Veterans Committee in 2015, then died five years later without his group ever getting another vote.
GreenWeenie

The Departed

Post by GreenWeenie »

His was a raw deal, too.

Back to Groat's accomplishments. I tuned in too late to capture the full detail of the discussion, but this AM on MLBNR, the hosts said that Groat was one of three men to have had certain MLB accomplishments and not be enshrined in Cooperstown. It had to do with his WS, ASGs, and MVP.

The other two?

Pete Rose, who we know is ineligible, so that makes this even more impressive.

And, Dave Parker.

That's some very thin air on that mountaintop.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Departed

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: Dick Groat passed away today. 

Very sad news. He was my first baseball hero. He signed a baseball for me last summer when I played golf at his course. I’m not into memorabilia but that’s a keeper for me.