Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Possum »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:50 pm
UtahPirate2 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:57 pm
Dutton wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:25 pm Olivares is a nice addition the 2024 team. Surprised we got him for Nadal. I thought Gorski and Celestino woukl compete for that righty OF platoon role but it's been settled.

McKinney is injury insurance, both for Suwinsky and Tellez, as arguably our best power lefty bat at Indy. I have him ahead of Shackelford and Beer. Anybody know who signed Mason Martin?

Nutting will have a fan revolt on his hands if he doesn't come up with a passable MLB starter. As others here and elsewhere have noted, many >15M per year vets have been signed by other "small market" teams. Signing the last man standing for the cheapest salary will be a PR nightmare for Nutting. I just hope he realizes that fact.

I don't know when players can be put on the 60-Day IL to free up roster spots, but we are currently full on the 40-man. Brubaker, Burrows and Rodriguez will go on the 60-Day, and I'm 99% sure Cutch will be added to the 40 as soon as there's a spot. But there should be room for what we desperately need: a veteran starter.
Room and money. Amazed by how low-cost these moves have been so far. I really like Marco myself and think he'll end up being a better addition that Hill was last year, but won't be as good as Anderson or Quintana were. And I read on analysis that said with the money passing between M's and Brave's to dump him, the price tag for us is only slightly over $3M.

KC was in a 40-man roster pinch and we got Olivares for next to nothing.

Not sure what McKinney can bring, but International money another move that keeps prospects in tact.

Tellez at $3 million looks like a good possible platoon with Joe if Tellez is healthy and can rediscover some thunder.

These aren't earth-shatteriing, but do move the needle a bit. Now it's time for some shattered earth for a SP (and for me, one trade for a young SP) and we should have the funds and prospects.
I wish I could remember what the story was about on MLB site, one of those, "something every team" type stories. Had to do with prospects. McKinney was the guy for the Yankees. So I was kind of excited for this, but he may just be part of the OF stable between the Bucs and AAA.
Good thought Surg. It depends on the options these guys have left. It still sucks that this is the kind of player the Bucs are expected to use during the season.
Let's Go Bucs
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The way the Pittsburgh two other professional teams have played lately the time could be perfect for the Pirates to grab some sports headlines by signing a couple free agent pitchers as well as Cutch prior to Christmas. According to Jason Mackey there is a good possibility that Cutch will be officially signed this week, but adding a starting pitcher or two would make a statement to the Pirate fan base.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

It's almost comical that the 2040 Dodgers have a higher payroll then the Pirates 2024 roster at the current moment. LA already has an $84 million payroll with Ohtani at 68, Betts at 11, Freeman at 5.

Unless there is a magical alignment of some perfect draft classes, sprinkled in with a couple of veteran all time comeback seasons, what chance does this franchise have?
mouse

Post by mouse »

Matt Carpenter was released by the Braves. First base history. Does he have anything left to be of interest?
Doc

Post by Doc »

mouse wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:50 am Matt Carpenter was released by the Braves. First base history. Does he have anything left to be of interest?
Matt Carpenter tortured Pirates pitching when he was with the Cardinals but I'm afraid his best days are behind him.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Hey Doc, don't torture us with thoughts of Carpenter becoming a Bucco. You remind me of the pimps walking on Bourbon St inviting us to see the stripers. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Post by Doc »

Possum wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:54 pm Hey Doc, don't torture us with thoughts of Carpenter becoming a Bucco. You remind me of the pimps walking on Bourbon St inviting us to see the stripers. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I remind you of pimps? I never thought I'd hear that at the holidays.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:45 pm
Osushawn wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:10 am I am surprised there hasn’t been word one regarding Trevor Bauer anywhere. Seems like this would be a perfect fit for Nutting’s 1yr/$5 mil offer with a player option for the second year to get him back in the league. You want an innings eater, there is your guy
This was talked about on the board quite a bit actually.
I know we discussed quite a bit, but there hasn't been much chatter anywhere else. Seems odd with the lack of free agent SP arms.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Even with the recent additions of Perez and Gonzales to the starting pitching staff, I still believe the Pirates need to sign, or acquire one more starting pitcher before they begin ST in mid February. Nobody knows when and if Skenes will join the team in 2024, and both Brubaker or Burrows aren’t projected to join the team until mid season. The Pirates should provide enough starting pitching depth to get through the first couple months of the season.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Possum wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:54 pm Hey Doc, don't torture us with thoughts of Carpenter becoming a Bucco. You remind me of the pimps walking on Bourbon St inviting us to see the stripers. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
there are pimps in New Orleans enticing you to see candy stripers?