The Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

5F79786F79691A0 wrote:

You definitely don't want a net loss.  To be a good team overall you have to be over average.  At this stage I think Endy and Davis share the catching position, if one is a good enough hitter then he is DH or first base.  One thing that has surprised over the past few years is how poor the first base position has been over all.  Perhaps this is because players over the hill are there (like Santana, who is 23rd in ops with an ops of 668, = first base median is around 780.) The Bucs couldn't afford him but with Freddie Freeman rather than Santana the Bucs would probably have won at least a couple more games this season.
It's hard to ignore that the 2 best prospects in AAA are catchers and the weakest position on the Pirates roster is catcher. I know that Hedges draws raves for his framing, pitch calling and working with the pitchers. But he can't hit, has a weak arm and commits interference too often. And he's signed for only this year. i don't believe his contributions in this one season are going to be so valuable that it's worth not giving 1 of the 2 top catching prospects a shot. Hedges' best contribution could be mentoring Endy or Davis while he's here this year.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Roster

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

171F1C2B3D183F305E0 wrote: I'm just thinking out loud about Davis and Rodriguez. Both profile as well-above average bats, but at what position? I know some don't like the idea of a good-hitting catcher or shortstop or whatever. But, there's always been an understanding that premium defensive positions allow for a certain deficiency in offensive production. So, a catcher who posts an .800 OPS is elite, but a right fielder who puts up numbers like that is a little more pedestrian.

I'm a little uneasy with the idea that we're going to move Davis and Rodriguez around the diamond in order to get their bats in the lineup. If Davis is an elite hitting catcher, but only middle of the road in right field, what's that gain? Same with Rodriguez at first base. If they want to put him at second on occasion, I question how a catcher can be quick and agile enough to play second in terms of range, turning double plays, and other things asked of middle infielders that aren't expected of any other player on the field.

Here's the point...I don't think it's in the Pirates best interest to move these guys from behind the plate. That's where their bats profile as being elite-level.

The trouble is, there’s only one catcher’s position.  For them both to have their bats in the line-up, one will have to move elsewhere, unless they also share the DH spot.  If their catching skills are equal, and Endy makes a better 1Bman than Henry makes a better outfielder, then Henry should catch and Endy should permanently play 1B.  This team needs more offense so both of their bats need to be in the line-up as often as possible.

What I'm suggesting is that perhaps both their bats don't need to be in the lineup. Maybe they're the best options for this year. But my point is really that if the plan is for Endy to be the everyday first baseman, and he's below average for a first baseman, but well above average for a catcher, then it's still a net loss for the team.

Both have shown in their careers so far that they’re good offensive players. I’d try to have both in the line-up daily for that reason. The one who’s the best catcher should probably catch because of the importance of the position. Sharing it doesn’t allow either of them to become the best they can be defensively.
IABucFan

The Roster

Post by IABucFan »

0F594F5B544E5E55584F7D5A505C5451135E3D0 wrote: I'm just thinking out loud about Davis and Rodriguez. Both profile as well-above average bats, but at what position? I know some don't like the idea of a good-hitting catcher or shortstop or whatever. But, there's always been an understanding that premium defensive positions allow for a certain deficiency in offensive production. So, a catcher who posts an .800 OPS is elite, but a right fielder who puts up numbers like that is a little more pedestrian.

I'm a little uneasy with the idea that we're going to move Davis and Rodriguez around the diamond in order to get their bats in the lineup. If Davis is an elite hitting catcher, but only middle of the road in right field, what's that gain? Same with Rodriguez at first base. If they want to put him at second on occasion, I question how a catcher can be quick and agile enough to play second in terms of range, turning double plays, and other things asked of middle infielders that aren't expected of any other player on the field.

Here's the point...I don't think it's in the Pirates best interest to move these guys from behind the plate. That's where their bats profile as being elite-level.

The trouble is, there’s only one catcher’s position.  For them both to have their bats in the line-up, one will have to move elsewhere, unless they also share the DH spot.  If their catching skills are equal, and Endy makes a better 1Bman than Henry makes a better outfielder, then Henry should catch and Endy should permanently play 1B.  This team needs more offense so both of their bats need to be in the line-up as often as possible.

What I'm suggesting is that perhaps both their bats don't need to be in the lineup. Maybe they're the best options for this year. But my point is really that if the plan is for Endy to be the everyday first baseman, and he's below average for a first baseman, but well above average for a catcher, then it's still a net loss for the team.

Both have shown in their careers so far that they’re good offensive players.  I’d try to have both in the line-up daily for that reason.  The one who’s the best catcher should probably catch because of the importance of the position.  Sharing it doesn’t allow either of them to become the best they can be defensively. 

I'm good with this, so long as we're not saying, "They're good offensive players (relative to other catchers)." If we're saying, "They're good offensive players, period," then we're good.
Ecbucs

The Roster

Post by Ecbucs »

032E23323524337370410 wrote:

You definitely don't want a net loss.  To be a good team overall you have to be over average.  At this stage I think Endy and Davis share the catching position, if one is a good enough hitter then he is DH or first base.  One thing that has surprised over the past few years is how poor the first base position has been over all.  Perhaps this is because players over the hill are there (like Santana, who is 23rd in ops with an ops of 668, = first base median is around 780.) The Bucs couldn't afford him but with Freddie Freeman rather than Santana the Bucs would probably have won at least a couple more games this season.
It's hard to ignore that the 2 best prospects in AAA are catchers and the weakest position on the Pirates roster is catcher. I know that Hedges draws raves for his framing, pitch calling and working with the pitchers. But he can't hit, has a weak arm and commits interference too often. And he's signed for only this year. i don't believe his contributions in this one season are going to be so valuable that it's worth not giving 1 of the 2 top catching prospects a shot. Hedges' best contribution could be mentoring Endy or Davis while he's here this year.

no doubt, there is no plan for Hedges to come back next year, it has to be Endy or Davis or both.
ChillinStation

The Roster

Post by ChillinStation »

Endy is only 5`9 , not exactly what you want at 1st. Cherrington likes  these shorter players soon we will have a team of Altuve wannabees.  :-/
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Roster

070F0C3B2D082F204E0 wrote: I'm just thinking out loud about Davis and Rodriguez. Both profile as well-above average bats, but at what position? I know some don't like the idea of a good-hitting catcher or shortstop or whatever. But, there's always been an understanding that premium defensive positions allow for a certain deficiency in offensive production. So, a catcher who posts an .800 OPS is elite, but a right fielder who puts up numbers like that is a little more pedestrian.

Both have shown in their careers so far that they’re good offensive players.  I’d try to have both in the line-up daily for that reason.  The one who’s the best catcher should probably catch because of the importance of the position.  Sharing it doesn’t allow either of them to become the best they can be defensively. 

I'm good with this, so long as we're not saying, "They're good offensive players (relative to other catchers)." If we're saying, "They're good offensive players, period," then we're good.

I’ll go along with that.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Roster

Reynolds halfway to the cycle.
ChillinStation

The Roster

Post by ChillinStation »

Pirates have Reynolds and Suwinski locked up in OF and Crews on the way.

Davis needs to play 1B/C at AAA and let Endy catch in MLB, end of story. They need to do this now to get Davis some 1b exp. Rotating them around the field sucks!!!! Or trade one, everyone wants a catcher and should land a haul.
GreenWeenie

The Roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

Would an untested guy land a haul? Depends on what's meant by a haul.

But, I agree with everything else.
ChillinStation

The Roster

Post by ChillinStation »

Mlodzinski on the way as predicted.