Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

517C71606776612122130 wrote: "Todd Frazier has exercised his opt-out from the Pirates and will be a free agent. Led PIT with 3 HR this spring and had .996 OPS playing 1B & 3B. Healthy, still plans to play, will find best fit." - Heyman

this is surprising to me.  Shocked he didn't make the team.

Did the Pirates cut him or is this Frazier's decision to leave?  It makes little sense if he was released because he was set to platoon and be that veteran presence the young guys could use.  Why'd they bother to sign him?  If this was his decision, why was he quoted in the Post-Gazette, just this week, about how much he liked being with the organization?  Something stinks.

I think the Bucs told him he wasn't going to make the team so he opted out so he has more time to find another team.

He even pitched a scoreless inning for Mets last year.

The team must have a lot of confidence in Evans but I have a hard time believing he is the real deal. Now its up to him to prove me wrong (as so many have done before)

I thought Frazier was brought in for two reasons:  to be that veteran example for the young guys, and to hope he'd perform well enough to return a decent prospect in a trade at the Deadline.  So what happened?  He was having a good spring.  Things seemed to be going as planned.

Was it because Phil Evans convinced management that he was a better platoon option at 1B?  I like Evans and would've preferred both he and Frazier make the roster instead of one of the marginal outfielders who haven't done well so far, have no future here, and wouldn't return anything in a trade.

[highlight]The 4 man bench (which I think is a terrible idea) really hamstrings them.[/highlight] Gonzalez and a catcher will be there. Evans can play 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, RF. And Difo can play INF and OF including SS and CF. So I think the need for 3 versatile reserves (plus the catcher) on the bench will give Difo a spot. It doesn't bode well for Fowler or Goodwin because the don't play INF and Frazier was only 1B, 3B. 

I agree that I'd prefer five guys on the bench but I wonder if their reason for keeping an additional pitcher is because the rotation is so thin and they're anticipating using the bullpen way more than they normally would, that they'll be needing that extra arm. Even though there are five off days in April, there's also a stretch of nine consecutive days with a game.

So it looks like it's come down to either Evans or Difo being the fourth bench player.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

693F293D322838333E291B3C363A323775385B0 wrote: "Todd Frazier has exercised his opt-out from the Pirates and will be a free agent. Led PIT with 3 HR this spring and had .996 OPS playing 1B & 3B. Healthy, still plans to play, will find best fit." - Heyman

Did the Pirates cut him or is this Frazier's decision to leave?  It makes little sense if he was released because he was set to platoon and be that veteran presence the young guys could use.  Why'd they bother to sign him?  If this was his decision, why was he quoted in the Post-Gazette, just this week, about how much he liked being with the organization?  Something stinks.

I think the Bucs told him he wasn't going to make the team so he opted out so he has more time to find another team.

The team must have a lot of confidence in Evans but I have a hard time believing he is the real deal. Now its up to him to prove me wrong (as so many have done before)

I thought Frazier was brought in for two reasons:  to be that veteran example for the young guys, and to hope he'd perform well enough to return a decent prospect in a trade at the Deadline.  So what happened?  He was having a good spring.  Things seemed to be going as planned.

Was it because Phil Evans convinced management that he was a better platoon option at 1B?  I like Evans and would've preferred both he and Frazier make the roster instead of one of the marginal outfielders who haven't done well so far, have no future here, and wouldn't return anything in a trade.

[highlight]The 4 man bench (which I think is a terrible idea) really hamstrings them.[/highlight] Gonzalez and a catcher will be there. Evans can play 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, RF. And Difo can play INF and OF including SS and CF. So I think the need for 3 versatile reserves (plus the catcher) on the bench will give Difo a spot. It doesn't bode well for Fowler or Goodwin because the don't play INF and Frazier was only 1B, 3B. 

I agree that I'd prefer five guys on the bench but I wonder if their reason for keeping an additional pitcher is because the rotation is so thin and they're anticipating using the bullpen way more than they normally would, that they'll be needing that extra arm.  Even though there are five off days in April, there's also a stretch of nine consecutive days with a game.

So it looks like it's come down to either Evans or Difo being the fourth bench player.   
I think they both make it: catcher, Gonzalez, Evans, Difo.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

755855444352450506370 wrote: "Todd Frazier has exercised his opt-out from the Pirates and will be a free agent. Led PIT with 3 HR this spring and had .996 OPS playing 1B & 3B. Healthy, still plans to play, will find best fit." - Heyman

I agree that I'd prefer five guys on the bench but I wonder if their reason for keeping an additional pitcher is because the rotation is so thin and they're anticipating using the bullpen way more than they normally would, that they'll be needing that extra arm.  Even though there are five off days in April, there's also a stretch of nine consecutive days with a game.

That's likely the best combination. The extra outfielders haven't done anything to earn a spot.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

114751454A50404B465163444E424A4F0D40230 wrote: "Todd Frazier has exercised his opt-out from the Pirates and will be a free agent. Led PIT with 3 HR this spring and had .996 OPS playing 1B & 3B. Healthy, still plans to play, will find best fit." - Heyman

That's likely the best combination.  The extra outfielders haven't done anything to earn a spot.

It's also (and probably more important IMHO) that Fowler and Goodwin lack the versatility they need with a 4-man bench. Gonzalez, Evans and Difo all can play both infield and outfield. They have to hold back the #2 catcher in case the starter gets injured and they will need to PH at least once or twice for the pitchers. So whoever is left on the bench will have to fill in at any position as needed. Too bad Brault is out or he could have been the first PHer off the bench whenever he didn't pitch.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: "Todd Frazier has exercised his opt-out from the Pirates and will be a free agent. Led PIT with 3 HR this spring and had .996 OPS playing 1B & 3B. Healthy, still plans to play, will find best fit." - Heyman

That's likely the best combination.  The extra outfielders haven't done anything to earn a spot.

It's also (and probably more important IMHO) that Fowler and Goodwin lack the versatility they need with a 4-man bench. Gonzalez, Evans and Difo all can play both infield and outfield. They have to hold back the #2 catcher in case the starter gets injured and they will need to PH at least once or twice for the pitchers. So whoever is left on the bench will have to fill in at any position as needed. Too bad Brault is out or he could have been the first PHer off the bench whenever he didn't pitch. 
Just read Jason Mackey's article concerning Pirates starting pitching in today's PG. Not naming a starter 4 days before the Opener, speaks for itself. After reading the article, maybe the bucs should approach the season like an All Star Game. Everyone pitches one or two innings
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

1826232B3820202B0B2E392A7D4F0 wrote:

Just read Jason Mackey's article  concerning Pirates starting pitching in today's PG. Not naming a starter 4 days before the Opener, speaks for itself. After reading the article, maybe the bucs should approach the season like an All Star Game. Everyone pitches one or two innings

It seems pretty clear it will be either Anderson or Brubaker. They're the only two who remotely have a shot. No one else has even gone over 2IP. Looking at the schedule, I'm guessing they go veteran Anderson against the Cubs and the 3rd game in Cincy, Brubaker will get the nod in the home opener and start game 2 in Chicago. Cahill has been getting stretched out on the side I have read, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him do the home opener.

Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

Cherington off season acquisitions Perez and Fowler have made the team.
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Chad Kuhl starting the opener against the Cubs.....so much for obvious!
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

5E737E6F68796E2E2D1C0 wrote: Cherington off season acquisitions Perez and Fowler have made the team.
Do they get scored then?
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

The Angels get Watson and Cishek for a pair of 1's and the Pirates get Perez and Fowler for a pair of 1's.

Padres - O'Grady(.5),Snell(4.5),Kim(1).,Darvish(4.5),Caratini(.5).

--Kim(1.5),Musgrive(2,5),Profar(2),Melancon(2.5)

--Davies(3.5),Kela(2.5),Tatis(4)................................29.5

Mets - Stroman(3.5),Williams(1),May(2.5),McCann(2.5),Lindor(4.5)

--Carrascvo(3),Luchesi(1),Loup(2),Almora(1.5),Villar(2)

--Pillar(3),Walker(3)................................................29.5

Phillies - Neris(3),Alvarado(2.5.)Coonrod(0.5),Bradley(3)

--Realmuto(5),Moore(2),Gregorius(3),Anderson(2)

--Miller(2.5)............................................................24.5

Yankees - Britton(3),Kuber(4.5),Taillon(2),)'Day(2),Lemahieu(4)

Giants - Vosler(1),Gausman(2),Wisler(2),Desclafini(2.5).......

--Brebbia(1),Casale(2),Wood(1.5),LaStella((2.5)

--McGee(2.5),Sanchez(2),Alvarez(2).............................21

--Wilson(2.5),Gardner(2.5)........................................20.5

Blue Jays- Dolis(2),Ray(1),Chatwood(2),Yates(3),Springer(5)

--Semien(3.5),Matz(1),Phelps(2.5)...............................20

Marlins - Marte(3),Detwiler(1.5),Bass(2)Duvall(3),Floro(2)

--Curtis(2.5)Duvall(3)...................................................17

Athletics-Andrus(2.5),Fiers(2),Ko;arek(2),Petit(2.5),Romo(2)

--Rosenthal(3.5),Moreland(2.5).....................................17

Angels-Iglesias(2).Iglesias(3),Claidio(2),Suzuki(1),Quintana(2.5)

--Cobb(2),Fowler(1.5)Slegers(1),Watson(1),Cishek(1).....17

Cubs - Rizzo(3),Romine(1),Stewart(.5),Williams(1.5),Chafin(1.5)

--Pederson(2),Marisnick(1),Arrieta(2.5),Workman(1)

--Tepera(1.5).............................................................15.5

Astros - Gurriel(3),Baez(2.5),Brantley(3),Castro(1),Odorizzi(3)

--McCullers(3)...........................................................15.5

Dodgers Knebel(1),Kahnle(2.5),Treinen(3),Bauer(5),Turner(3.5).15

Indians - Perez(2.5),Gimenez(2),Rosario(1.5),Hernandez(2.5)

--Rosario(3.5),Perez(2)................................................14

Braves - Almonte (.5),Tomlin(2),Smyly(3),Morton(2.5),Ozuna(5)

--Lamb(1)...................................................................14

Nationals - Harrison(1),Clay(1),Bell(2),Schwarber(3),Lester(2)

--Zimmerman(1),Hand(3),Avila(.5)...............................13.5

Rays - Zunino(2),Wacha(2),Mejia(1),Archer(2)

--Hill(2.5),McHugh(1),Drake(1),Roe(2)..........................13.5

Red Sox Renfroe(2),Andriese(2),Perez(2),Richards(3),Ottavino(1)-

--Gonzalez(2),Sawamura(1)...........................................13

Royals Minor(2.5),Taylor(1),Holland(3.5),Benintendi(1.5)

--Dyson(.5),Perez(4)................................................13

Mariners - Graveman(1),Flexen(2),Montero(2),Hernandez(2)

--Giles(2.5),Paxton(3).................................................12.5

Twins - Simmons(3.5),Cruz(3),Colome(2.5),Andersen(1.5)

--Shoemaker(1)..........................................................11.5

Rangers -,Gotto(.5),Dunning(1.5),Lowe(1),Dahl(3),Arihara(.5)

--Foltynewicz(2),Davis(2.5)........................................11

Twins - Simmons(3.5),Cruz(3),Colome(2.5),Andersen(1.5)

--Shoemaker(1)..........................................................11.5

Cardinals - Wainwrighjt(3),Arenado(5),Molina(2.5)....................10.5

Tigers Urena(1),Grossman(2),Ramos(2),Schoop(2),Mazara(1.5)

--Teheran(2)...........................................................10.5

Brewers - Maile(.5),Robertson(1),Wong(2),Anderson(2.5)

--Bradley(3).Shaw(1)...............................................10

White Sox - Lynn(4),Eaton(2.5),Hendricks(2.5),Rodon(.5)...........9.5

Diamondbacks - Kelly(2),Soria(3),Cabrera(2),Clippard(2.5)..........9.5

Orioles - Iglesias(2.5),Galvis(2),Franco(3).........................7.5

Pirates - Andersen(2.5),Cahill(3),Fowler(1),Perez(1)....................7.5

Rockies - Stephenson(.5),Gomber(2).,Owings(1),Cron(2.5)............6

Pirates - Andersen(2.5),Cahill(3),Fowler(1),Perez(1)....................7.5

Reds - Hoffman-(.5),Ramirez(1.5),Garcia(.5),Perez(1),Doolittle(1)4.5

Just 2 days to go.