Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

6B5E4949427B49494245492C0 wrote:

Not bad for junk!  :))))))

Oh brother ::)
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

486E697C75796E78701B0 wrote: The Pirates claim RHP Eric Hanhold from the Orioles.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/ ... ioles.html
This looks like a GIGO kind of move. I guess reading the article on DK's site, he at least has 2 pitches that are above average. For a reliever, makes me wonder how he hasn't had any success if he has two pitches that good.

Maybe it's the ties to Neil Walker, I read he's the guy the Brewers traded to the Mets to get him.

https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2021/11/ ... b-news-ajs
Not much difference between the Orioles and Bucs ;D
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Cahill, Yoshi, and Shelby Miller released. I guess they'll be added to "The Departed" heap now.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

5D687F7F744D7F7F74737F1A0 wrote: Cahill, Yoshi, and Shelby Miller released.  I guess they'll be added to "The Departed" heap now.
They were all under contract only thru 2021 and are FAs now. Hopefully, they will try to sign Yoshi.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: Cahill, Yoshi, and Shelby Miller released.  I guess they'll be added to "The Departed" heap now.
They were all under contract only thru 2021 and are FAs now. Hopefully, they will try to sign Yoshi.

Of course, they will "try."
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

576275757E4775757E7975100 wrote: Cahill, Yoshi, and Shelby Miller released.  I guess they'll be added to "The Departed" heap now.

Of course, they will "try."

I'm not optimistic. I doubt it was Yoshi's dream to come to MLB and play for a bad team. After failing with TB and LA I'm sure he was glad to get a chance with the Pirates to show he belonged in MLB. I think he accomplished that and will now get offers from teams that he would rather play for.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I think we agree that we hope that the Bucs WILL (not just try to) sign Yoshi.  Like you, I'm less than 50% optimistic that they'll do it. 

I'm not all that confident that Ben will sign anyone worth crowing about externally this off-seasaon.  I'm thinking that if there any major external acquisitions they would come in the form of a trade.  By "major," I mean soneone a litttle more than a reclamation project- someone that a few of the better clubs might want.

Since we don't have all that much to offer, I'm thinking that we'll be forced to endure MOTSOSO, except that maybe both sides will come through with an internal extension or two.

I've been wrong for most of the playoff predictions.  I'm hoping that I'm wrong with this now.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

73716B6D7B1E0 wrote: I don't see them devoting enough to the DH role, either. Also, they may have Mason Martin plans in that direction.

If the DH comes to the NL, the Pirates will be forced by Nutting's payroll restrictions to use their 4th outfielder in that role.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Knowing Cherington- oops!  It will be more like Cole Tucker.

Except when he orders Shelton to rest him.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4F7A6D6D665F6D6D66616D080 wrote: I think we agree that we hope that the Bucs WILL (not just try to) sign Yoshi.  Like you, I'm less than 50% optimistic that they'll do it. 

I'm not all that confident that Ben will sign anyone worth crowing about externally this off-seasaon.  I'm thinking that if there any major external acquisitions they would come in the form of a trade.  By "major," I mean soneone a litttle more than a reclamation project- someone that a few of the better clubs might want.

Since we don't have all that much to offer, I'm thinking that we'll be forced to endure MOTSOSO, except that maybe both sides will come through with an internal extension or two.

I've been wrong for most of the playoff predictions.  I'm hoping that I'm wrong with this now.
Freddie Freeman is available :D