general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

GreenWeenie

The Roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

I wonder what is meant at the end where it says that "the Pirates are looking for stability...."

Are they expecting the new guy to provide stability? Is he the guy?

Are they looking (externally) for it? Obviously, this is internal.

Are they auditioning others to see if anyone in development has it?

I guess it just lead to questions.

Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

4B7E6969625B69696265690C0 wrote: I wonder what is meant at the end where it says that "the Pirates are looking for stability...."

Are they expecting the new guy to provide stability?  Is he the guy?

Are they looking (externally) for it?  Obviously, this is internal.

Are they auditioning others to see if anyone in development has it?

I guess it just lead to questions.
I took that line to just mean they don't have stability in the rotation but would like to find it. After Keller, Hill and Oviedo, it's a crapshoot. They need an upgrade over Ortiz but don't have it and they don't even have a #5. Losing Velasquez to injury and Contreras to performance issues has resulted in the addition of Ortiz at #4 with #5 unsettled. Bido is getting the first opportunity to win a spot but that's all it is: an opportunity. Even Ortiz' spot is tenuous and he seems to have it only by default.

As for Bido, he has failed to demonstrate either at AA or AAA that he belongs in MLB. But the ranks at Indy are thin. Alldred hasn't pitched a lot of innings. Only Priester has more starts and more innings than Bido. Priester has been inconsistent. 2 of his last 4 starts have not gone well. But they have high hopes for Priester and don't want to throw him to the wolves just because they need a warm body in the rotation. But Bido is expendable. So he'll get a chance just to eat some innings and if/when he crashes and burns against MLB hitters they aren't losing much. If Priester can but together a few strong starts, he will probably get recalled. Or they can look outside the organization, but a waiver pickup or a minor trade for a marginal starter won't be much help. It's not a good situation unless Contreras rebounds with some work from the BP and goes back in the rotation. It worked for Keller last year.
IABucFan

The Roster

Post by IABucFan »

Bido is the type of guy who, if he were making his MLB debut against the Pirates, would go seven innings, give up two walks and two hits, no runs, with eight K's. But since he's pitching FOR the Pirates and not against them, he'll go two innings, give up eight runs on ten hits, walk four, hit a guy, and get one token strikeout.
ChillinStation

The Roster

Post by ChillinStation »

A real GM would go after a real starter if He really wanted to win. Make a play NOW before the deadline !!!!

GreenWeenie

The Roster

Post by GreenWeenie »

Make a deal before a competitor takes a guy off the table.
IABucFan

The Roster

Post by IABucFan »

I'm just thinking out loud about Davis and Rodriguez. Both profile as well-above average bats, but at what position? I know some don't like the idea of a good-hitting catcher or shortstop or whatever. But, there's always been an understanding that premium defensive positions allow for a certain deficiency in offensive production. So, a catcher who posts an .800 OPS is elite, but a right fielder who puts up numbers like that is a little more pedestrian.

I'm a little uneasy with the idea that we're going to move Davis and Rodriguez around the diamond in order to get their bats in the lineup. If Davis is an elite hitting catcher, but only middle of the road in right field, what's that gain? Same with Rodriguez at first base. If they want to put him at second on occasion, I question how a catcher can be quick and agile enough to play second in terms of range, turning double plays, and other things asked of middle infielders that aren't expected of any other player on the field.

Here's the point...I don't think it's in the Pirates best interest to move these guys from behind the plate. That's where their bats profile as being elite-level.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Roster

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

494142756346616E000 wrote: I'm just thinking out loud about Davis and Rodriguez. Both profile as well-above average bats, but at what position? I know some don't like the idea of a good-hitting catcher or shortstop or whatever. But, there's always been an understanding that premium defensive positions allow for a certain deficiency in offensive production. So, a catcher who posts an .800 OPS is elite, but a right fielder who puts up numbers like that is a little more pedestrian.

I'm a little uneasy with the idea that we're going to move Davis and Rodriguez around the diamond in order to get their bats in the lineup. If Davis is an elite hitting catcher, but only middle of the road in right field, what's that gain? Same with Rodriguez at first base. If they want to put him at second on occasion, I question how a catcher can be quick and agile enough to play second in terms of range, turning double plays, and other things asked of middle infielders that aren't expected of any other player on the field.

Here's the point...I don't think it's in the Pirates best interest to move these guys from behind the plate. That's where their bats profile as being elite-level.

The trouble is, there’s only one catcher’s position.  For them both to have their bats in the line-up, one will have to move elsewhere, unless they also share the DH spot.  If their catching skills are equal, and Endy makes a better 1Bman than Henry makes a better outfielder, then Henry should catch and Endy should permanently play 1B.  This team needs more offense so both of their bats need to be in the line-up as often as possible.
IABucFan

The Roster

Post by IABucFan »

6D3B2D39362C3C373A2D1F38323E3633713C5F0 wrote: I'm just thinking out loud about Davis and Rodriguez. Both profile as well-above average bats, but at what position? I know some don't like the idea of a good-hitting catcher or shortstop or whatever. But, there's always been an understanding that premium defensive positions allow for a certain deficiency in offensive production. So, a catcher who posts an .800 OPS is elite, but a right fielder who puts up numbers like that is a little more pedestrian.

The trouble is, there’s only one catcher’s position.  For them both to have their bats in the line-up, one will have to move elsewhere, unless they also share the DH spot.  If their catching skills are equal, and Endy makes a better 1Bman than Henry makes a better outfielder, then Henry should catch and Endy should permanently play 1B.  This team needs more offense so both of their bats need to be in the line-up as often as possible.

What I'm suggesting is that perhaps both their bats don't need to be in the lineup. Maybe they're the best options for this year. But my point is really that if the plan is for Endy to be the everyday first baseman, and he's below average for a first baseman, but well above average for a catcher, then it's still a net loss for the team.
Ecbucs

The Roster

Post by Ecbucs »

535B586F795C7B741A0 wrote: I'm just thinking out loud about Davis and Rodriguez. Both profile as well-above average bats, but at what position? I know some don't like the idea of a good-hitting catcher or shortstop or whatever. But, there's always been an understanding that premium defensive positions allow for a certain deficiency in offensive production. So, a catcher who posts an .800 OPS is elite, but a right fielder who puts up numbers like that is a little more pedestrian.

What I'm suggesting is that perhaps both their bats don't need to be in the lineup. Maybe they're the best options for this year. But my point is really that if the plan is for Endy to be the everyday first baseman, and he's below average for a first baseman, but well above average for a catcher, then it's still a net loss for the team.

You definitely don't want a net loss. To be a good team overall you have to be over average. At this stage I think Endy and Davis share the catching position, if one is a good enough hitter then he is DH or first base. One thing that has surprised over the past few years is how poor the first base position has been over all. Perhaps this is because players over the hill are there (like Santana, who is 23rd in ops with an ops of 668, = first base median is around 780.) The Bucs couldn't afford him but with Freddie Freeman rather than Santana the Bucs would probably have won at least a couple more games this season.