Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

Spring Training Thread

Post by WildwoodDave »

5E454849404C432D0 wrote: I know it is 'only' spring training, but ---

Keller does not look like a great option for the starting rotation, Brault is out, and Holmes also is down.  The depth for the starting rotation is rapidly disappearing, unless folks are really counting on Holland.

Looks like my bet on under 691/2 is looking real goodf

I am not expecting this team to win much this year, but I do want them to have enough healthy starting pitching options that it eliminates the need to burn through a minor league pitcher who has some long-term upside but who is not really ready for the level of competition in the majors.

While there aren't a lot of options remaining on the free agent market, the near-term and long-term prospects of this franchise would benefit from a bit more starting pitcher depth for the major league level. 

I think you mean suspects rather than prospects
______

Why can't you get GW to join this site.  This site is the best site we have been on.

GW told me that he tried twice to get on. His application was denied ; ;. Alvy is lurking somewhere
DemDog

Spring Training Thread

Post by DemDog »

734D4840534B4B4060455241240 wrote: I know it is 'only' spring training, but ---

Keller does not look like a great option for the starting rotation, Brault is out, and Holmes also is down.  The depth for the starting rotation is rapidly disappearing, unless folks are really counting on Holland.

Looks like my bet on under 691/2 is looking real goodf

I am not expecting this team to win much this year, but I do want them to have enough healthy starting pitching options that it eliminates the need to burn through a minor league pitcher who has some long-term upside but who is not really ready for the level of competition in the majors.

While there aren't a lot of options remaining on the free agent market, the near-term and long-term prospects of this franchise would benefit from a bit more starting pitcher depth for the major league level. 

I think you mean suspects rather than prospects
______

Why can't you get GW to join this site.  This site is the best site we have been on.

GW told me that he tried twice to get on. His application was denied ; ;. Alvy is lurking somewhere

Dave check your PM's please.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

Pirates win a pitchers dual 19-13.  ;D Had a friend at the away game and he told me that Archer looked really good but Musgrove only pitched 2/3 of an inning and got crushed. Lots of hits today on both sides.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would guess in the next couple of days the Pirates will announce their first group of cuts. Some of the players who have a very little chance to make the 26 man roster should be sent to minor league camp in order for Derek Shelton and his staff to determine which of the remaining players will fill out the bench, bullpen, and starting pitching staff.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

414D4C171E171F12150A10270 wrote: I would guess in the next couple of days the Pirates will announce their first group of cuts. Some of the players who have a very little chance to make the 26 man roster  should be sent to minor league camp in order for Derek Shelton and his staff to determine which of the remaining players will fill out the bench, bullpen, and starting pitching staff.

So I wonder who will be the back-up catcher to Stallings. I still think it will be Luke Maile but it is hard to look past John Ryan Murphy who has three home runs and continues to hit the ball hard.

Bobster21

Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

456C6A6664090 wrote: I would guess in the next couple of days the Pirates will announce their first group of cuts. Some of the players who have a very little chance to make the 26 man roster  should be sent to minor league camp in order for Derek Shelton and his staff to determine which of the remaining players will fill out the bench, bullpen, and starting pitching staff.

So I wonder who will be the back-up catcher to Stallings. I still think it will be Luke Maile but it is hard to look past John Ryan Murphy who has three home runs and continues to hit the ball hard.
Both are fringe major leaguers who are sound defensively. Murphy has 3 HRs but is batting .188 (which is better than his 2019 BA of .177). Maile is hitting .250 in ST but if he kept that up it would be a career high. In other words, neither can ht. I think all they want from their backup catcher is someone who will handle the pitchers well and be strong behind the plate. Those things don't show up in the boxscore so it's difficult to predict which one will make it.
Surgnbuck

Spring Training Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

The last three guys who pitched today- Marvel, Schlabach, and Economus- I swear they were character names in "History of the World Part I"

Stratton looked good except having trouble finding the plate, but his movement looked really good. I didn't realize he threw that hard. It was good watching the Yankees broadcast, because they give unbiased opinions on the opposing players. They really liked LECOM park, talked about the history and such. The one announcer, he sounded sincerely in awe when he talked about Clemente and Stargell played on this same field.

Bucs are going to tantalize us this year, but unless they get some .300 hitting guys who are double machines, runs aren't looking too plentiful. John Ryan Murphy HR into the wind, that was a legit shot today.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4C65636F6D000 wrote: I would guess in the next couple of days the Pirates will announce their first group of cuts. Some of the players who have a very little chance to make the 26 man roster  should be sent to minor league camp in order for Derek Shelton and his staff to determine which of the remaining players will fill out the bench, bullpen, and starting pitching staff.

I think you are right when you mention Maile as the backup catcher. His defense is better than Murphy, plus he is already on the roster. If Stallings or Maile get injured we might see Murphy.
Bobster21

Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

MLB network is showing a replay of today's game. (Starting at 8 pm.)
DemDog

Spring Training Thread

Post by DemDog »

Bucs tied with Rays 1-1 in the 5th inning. Keller went 3 giving up one run (on a WP) with 5 Ks.