The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

The Departed

Post by johnfluharty »

426465726474070 wrote: Russell Martin officially retires.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeG_6_SARhb/
I wonder if the Pirates considered asking him back.  He might be better than any of their current catchers.

It would be difficult to be worse.
ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

J.A. Happ also retired:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/05/ ... tcher.html

He was magnificent down the stretch in 2015: 7-2, 1.85 after being acquired from Seattle. He pretty much repeated the performance with the Yankees in 2018: 7-0, 2.69.

The contract that didn't happen: Happ went 47-21, 3.44 in the three seasons after he left Pittsburgh.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

Kevin Kramer really blasted the Huntington regime for their player development practices. I know a lot of us were critical of the Pirates ability to develop their players. Kramer had first hand experience and nothing good to say about the previous regime.

https://theathletic.com/3343113/2022/06 ... velopment/
Surgnbuck

The Departed

Post by Surgnbuck »

Clay Holmes AL Reliever of the Month
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Departed

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

654845545342551516270 wrote: Kevin Kramer really blasted the Huntington regime for their player development practices. I know a lot of us were critical of the Pirates ability to develop their players. Kramer had first hand experience and nothing good to say about the previous regime.

Can you summarize and/or add quotes? When I clicked on the link, I was blocked because I don't subscribe to The Athletic. I don't want to subscribe because I get all the accurate Pirates information I need right here on this site. ::)
ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Clay Holmes

Hasn't been scored on since Opening Day.
GreenWeenie

The Departed

Post by GreenWeenie »

10233F3E3D35033E2539222534383F510 wrote: Clay Holmes

Hasn't been scored on since Opening Day.

Wow.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

1C4A5C48475D4D464B5C6E49434F4742004D2E0 wrote: Kevin Kramer really blasted the Huntington regime for their player development practices. I know a lot of us were critical of the Pirates ability to develop their players. Kramer had first hand experience and nothing good to say about the previous regime.

Can you summarize and/or add quotes?  When I clicked on the link, I was blocked because I don't subscribe to The Athletic.  I don't want to subscribe because I get all the accurate Pirates information I need right here on this site.  ::)
I don't subscribe either, so I was surprised I could access the article. Here's the highlights.

“There was a lot of (stuff) going wrong,” said Kramer, a second-round pick in 2015. “They were trying to fit everyone in a mold. If you didn’t fit in the mold, you were either buried in the minor leagues and never got the chance or you were traded, or both.”

There were club regulations about everything from the length of players’ hair to how high they wore their socks. Violators were fined or suspended. Kramer said he once was benched for three days after breaking a bat. When he played in the Arizona Fall League, Kramer was struck by how players from other clubs were baffled and amused by the long, detailed list of rules he had to follow.

“I came from a really structured college program, so I was used to it, but it still was a shock to see it in the pros,” Kramer said. “There were a (lot of) players who were better than me who didn’t thrive. One of the Pirates’ sayings one year in instructional league was, ‘Thrive, don’t survive.’ It was interesting to look at it that way, because it wasn’t a very personalized program for each player.”

During instructional league, which is held in Bradenton, Fla., after the minor-league seasons end, some players had to attend intense, pre-dawn training sessions off the Pirate City campus.

“My first year, we went to the beach at 4:40 in the morning and rolled around in the sand,” Kramer said. “The next year, which was (2016 first-rounder) Will Craig’s (draft) class, they canoed to a private island in the middle of a state park and had to stay there overnight. It was like, ‘What are we doing?’ It felt like we were focused on the wrong things.”

“There were some bad apples in the organization who didn’t seem like they were really rooting for the players,” Kramer said. “There were coaches that told me that if I ever got to the big leagues with the Pirates, they’d be embarrassed for the organization. That was two days before my (big-league) debut.”

2drfischer@gmail.c

The Departed

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Holy shnikes! If all of that is true, what a condemnation of Huntington, his ideas, and his processes. I think we all remember the Hoka Hey military stuff that was going on, but sending players to an island to spend the night? No wonder very few of his draft choices had any kind of success in the big leagues. They were working on anything but becoming better baseball players.

And I always thought the rules and limitations he imposed on the minor leaguers was ridiculous. He took all the fun out of playing.
GreenWeenie

The Departed

Post by GreenWeenie »

We're talking about Kevin Kramer.

They should have cannoed Kevin Kramer to some deserted island and left him there.

Next, he'll tell us how the Brewers did him wrong.