The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

The Departed

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

173A37262130276764550 wrote: I asked this question on the Harvey Haddix Thread. Does anyone know how many pitches Harvey Haddix( the Kitten, how many knew that?) threw in that game?
The best I can find with Google is that he had only thrown 104 through 12 innings. I guess with no base runners and if he was ahead of most hitters, his pitch count would have been pretty low. Through 12 innings, 36 batters that would only be about 3 pitches per batter.
Thanks Bobster- That's darn good
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

112F2A22312929220227302374460 wrote: I asked this question on the Harvey Haddix Thread. Does anyone know how many pitches Harvey Haddix( the Kitten, how many knew that?) threw in that game?
The best I can find with Google is that he had only thrown 104 through 12 innings. I guess with no base runners and if he was ahead of most hitters, his pitch count would have been pretty low. Through 12 innings, 36 batters that would only be about 3 pitches per batter.

no relief pitchers either, Burdette pitched a complete game 12 hit shut out. Haddix had 8 strikeouts and Burdette only 2. Just think if a similar game happened this year there would be zombie runners.
WildwoodDave2

The Departed

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

042223342232410 wrote: I asked this question on the Harvey Haddix Thread. Does anyone know how many pitches Harvey Haddix( the Kitten, how many knew that?) threw in that game?

no relief pitchers either, Burdette pitched a complete game 12 hit shut out.  Haddix had 8 strikeouts and Burdette only 2.  Just think if a similar game happened this year there would be zombie runners.

12 hits and no runs!
GreenWeenie

The Departed

Post by GreenWeenie »

The probability of going 9 innings in a game like that have to be something like 1-Never.

In the history of the MLB Game- thousands of games- no precedent.  No reoccernce, and not even close.

One side had a perfect game through nine, then longer.

But, it was being shut out, too.

Perfect games are so rare to begin with.  Shutouts don't happen every day.  Put the two together, and we have the one Pirates/Braves/59.

So, as tough as last night's loss was, it was nothing compared to that one.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

4075626269506262696E62070 wrote: The probability of going 9 innings in a game like that have to be something like 1-Never.

In the history of the MLB Game- thousands of games- no precedent.  No reoccernce, and not even close.

One side had a perfect game through nine, then longer.

But, it was being shut out, too.

Perfect games are so rare to begin with.  Shutouts don't happen every day.  Put the two together, and we have the one Pirates/Braves/59.

So, as tough as last night's loss was, it was nothing compared to that one.

Jim Maloney pitched a ten inning no hitter

this game always fascinated me, I think I saw it mentioned on a baseball card:

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/august- ... trikeouts/

here is box score: https://www.baseball-

reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN196508191.shtml

a few weeks later he had a no-hitter through ten against the Mets and lost it on a home run in the 11th. https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 6140.shtml
GreenWeenie

The Departed

Post by GreenWeenie »

Yeah, but those 10 walks make it a long way from having been a Perfect Game.

These things just go to show how special these incredibly rare things happen in baseball, and in life as a whole.

Things that happen so few times that they're not likely to be seen in most of our lifetimes again. There are some that no one will see them again.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

0E3B2C2C271E2C2C27202C490 wrote: Yeah, but those 10 walks make it a long way from having been a Perfect Game.

These things just go to show how special these incredibly rare things happen in baseball, and in life as a whole.

Things that happen so few times that they're not likely to be seen in most of our lifetimes again.  There are some that no one will see them again. 

that is for sure, that's why Harvey Haddix is remembered and Maloney isn't. Don't remember which game but in the write up for one of the Maloney games it says he threw 187 pitches.
GreenWeenie

The Departed

Post by GreenWeenie »

My arm hurts just thinking about that. ;)
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

024158435045544202310 wrote: Russell Martin officially retires.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeG_6_SARhb/
I wonder if the Pirates considered asking him back. He might be better than any of their current catchers.
Surgnbuck

The Departed

Post by Surgnbuck »

he hasn't played in 3 years....wonder why he's finally calling it quits?