Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

340A0F07140C0C0727021506630 wrote: Bucs win again!  Oh my god!  Can we count this wins in the regular season?  The bullpen guys that count did a great job today.  Although Burdi gave up a solo shot in the 9th he went on K 2 of the last 3 hitters with 100mph stuff.  Have we found a new "Nighmare" in our midst?

Bucs vs Jays Boxscore

Are they putting World Series tickets on sale yet?

Well doc, you will have to ask Shedman that question.

When the day comes that the Pirates put World Series tickets on sale, I know Shedman will beat me to the ticket window.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

022B2D21234E0 wrote: I did not get a chance to post anything yesterday but wanted to touch on Cruz's home run which was a long one to right-center. If this kid starts to consistently hits this year in the minors it is going to be hard for the Pirates to keep him there next year. [highlight]I wonder if Tucker goes to Indianapolis what they will do with Cruz.[/highlight] Will he go back to Altoona or will they find him another position.

I heard this morning that they plan to send Cruz to Altoona to start the year.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

604149604B43240 wrote: Keller sucks today.  3 runs, 3 hits in 2.1 innings.
I know it is ST but Keller has not been very good in his 3 starts so far. I hope he can put a couple good starts together before they break camp.
MaineBucs

Spring Training Thread

Post by MaineBucs »

I know it is 'only' spring training, but ---

Keller does not look like a great option for the starting rotation, Brault is out, and Holmes also is down. The depth for the starting rotation is rapidly disappearing, unless folks are really counting on Holland.

I am not expecting this team to win much this year, but I do want them to have enough healthy starting pitching options that it eliminates the need to burn through a minor league pitcher who has some long-term upside but who is not really ready for the level of competition in the majors.

While there aren't a lot of options remaining on the free agent market, the near-term and long-term prospects of this franchise would benefit from a bit more starting pitcher depth for the major league level.
WildwoodDave

Spring Training Thread

Post by WildwoodDave »

1F333B3C3710273121520 wrote: I know it is 'only' spring training, but ---

Keller does not look like a great option for the starting rotation, Brault is out, and Holmes also is down.  The depth for the starting rotation is rapidly disappearing, unless folks are really counting on Holland.

Looks like my bet on under 691/2 is looking real goodf

I am not expecting this team to win much this year, but I do want them to have enough healthy starting pitching options that it eliminates the need to burn through a minor league pitcher who has some long-term upside but who is not really ready for the level of competition in the majors.

While there aren't a lot of options remaining on the free agent market, the near-term and long-term prospects of this franchise would benefit from a bit more starting pitcher depth for the major league level. 
WildwoodDave

Spring Training Thread

Post by WildwoodDave »

5F61646C7F67676C4C697E6D080 wrote: I know it is 'only' spring training, but ---

Keller does not look like a great option for the starting rotation, Brault is out, and Holmes also is down.  The depth for the starting rotation is rapidly disappearing, unless folks are really counting on Holland.

I think you mean suspects rather than prospects
shedman

Spring Training Thread

Post by shedman »

043A3F37243C3C3717322536530 wrote: I know it is 'only' spring training, but ---

I think you mean suspects rather than prospects
______

Why can't you get GW to join this site. This site is the best site we have been on.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Trevor Williams outing today was his best so far this spring. That is a good sign. The Pirates need to have their rotation give them quality starts when the season begins. If the game today was a regular season game, they probably would have won with their regular bullpen.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

212D2C777E777F72756A70470 wrote: Trevor Williams outing today was his best so far this spring. That is a good sign. The Pirates need to have their rotation give them quality starts when the season begins. If the game today was a regular season game, they probably would have won with their regular bullpen.

I agree he pitched pretty well although he did give up a home run but that stuff happens. The wind was blowing out yesterday but BR's home run as well as JB 's would have been home runs regardless. BR also had really good at-bats as he worked two walks after having two strikes on him. He seems to be finding himself now hopefully that continues.

Moran tripled but the right fielder actually misplayed the ball that allowed him to get to third. I also agree that the Pirates had the game in hand until the kids went in toward the end of the game.

I forgot to add that Polanco played right field but again had no urgent throws to the infield. I will not be convinced his arm is back until I actually see it. If anyone has seen him throw I am sure your thoughts would be interesting to the group.
DemDog

Spring Training Thread

Post by DemDog »

434F4E151C151D10170812250 wrote: Trevor Williams outing today was his best so far this spring. That is a good sign. The Pirates need to have their rotation give them quality starts when the season begins. If the game today was a regular season game, they probably would have won with their regular bullpen.

I watched the game on a hit or miss thing. Had a few things to do around the house with the Mrs so I did not see too much of Williams but did see JB's shot and the kids in the BP giving away the game. This is the kind of game they need to win during the regular season. Unfortunately, there won't be many of them.