Minor Leagues

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Minor Leagues

Post by DemDog »

The way I understand this topic, it is not limited to the Bucs but it is rampant throughout any MLB team's minor leaguers.
GreenWeenie

Minor Leagues

Post by GreenWeenie »

I took it to mean all of MLB, too.

"Come try out for our team.  It will only cost you $1,000 a month (or whatever)."

You know what I call THAT?

Fantasy Camp with a chance.
WildwoodDave2

Minor Leagues

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1F2A3D3D360F3D3D36313D580 wrote: This much, you can take to the bank:

Whatever it is, it will never be enough!

First, it's housing. 

Then, utilities.

Then, furnishings.

Then, appliances.

Then, food.

Then, PCs.

Then, a nice, big BIG SCREEN.

And, of course, gotta have that FIRESTICK!

With all that being taken care of, why bother busting ass to become a MLB player? 
Of course a Firestick- but not in your case. As I said before, one must have a TV to effectively use a firestick
WildwoodDave2

Minor Leagues

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: I visited extended spring training a few years ago at Pirate City in Bradenton. Talked to one of the players who talked about housing. These were recently signed players, mostly low draft picks or undrafted out of HS and not yet assigned to a minor league team. They played games at Pirate City to get evaluated and would then be assigned to whichever league they were deemed ready for. They were housed in the dorms at the Pirate City complex and only the high draft picks had their room and board paid by the Pirates. The others living there had their parents paying the Pirates for room and board or lived "off campus." Talked to one of the fathers who said it was expensive but he was trying to help his son's dream come true. But he realized most of those kids weren't going to make it in MLB. Now that the Pirates will have to pay, they will probably be more selective about the undrafted kids they sign and bring to Pirate City since instead of making money off them it will cost the Pirates money.

Whoa!  That changes things in my eyes.  I was under the assumption that these were minor leaguers- who are paid to play. 

What you're talking about here reminds me of "recruitment"- kids who are drafted or undrafted and aren't part of the system yet.  They're just trying to make it.

Do I read this correctly- that kids/parents had to PAY before- that a Henry Davis gets a free ride, but Benchwarmer Dave has to PAY?  I guess that's the way it is, but I don't like that. 

It's professional baseball, not the typical summer camp.
I don't know if they received pay at that point since they weren't yet assigned to a minor league team (other than those who were there on a rehab or just to work on something). Of course if they technically are not considered minor leaguers yet, they might be exempt from the new rule requiring the team pay their housing. When I was there Stephen Tarpley, who was acquired with Brault in the Travis Snider trade was there on a rehab but was assigned to the Bradenton Marauders. But for a lot of the players there it seemed like an extended tryout. And the father I talked to said he was paying his son's room and board to the Pirates without mentioning any money coming from the Pirates to pay his son.   
I know this changes from year to year but give me a ballpark figure what the average salary is for a major league baseball player
Ecbucs

Minor Leagues

Post by Ecbucs »

4A7471796A727279597C6B782F1D0 wrote: I visited extended spring training a few years ago at Pirate City in Bradenton. Talked to one of the players who talked about housing. These were recently signed players, mostly low draft picks or undrafted out of HS and not yet assigned to a minor league team. They played games at Pirate City to get evaluated and would then be assigned to whichever league they were deemed ready for. They were housed in the dorms at the Pirate City complex and only the high draft picks had their room and board paid by the Pirates. The others living there had their parents paying the Pirates for room and board or lived "off campus." Talked to one of the fathers who said it was expensive but he was trying to help his son's dream come true. But he realized most of those kids weren't going to make it in MLB. Now that the Pirates will have to pay, they will probably be more selective about the undrafted kids they sign and bring to Pirate City since instead of making money off them it will cost the Pirates money.

Whoa!  That changes things in my eyes.  I was under the assumption that these were minor leaguers- who are paid to play. 

What you're talking about here reminds me of "recruitment"- kids who are drafted or undrafted and aren't part of the system yet.  They're just trying to make it.

Do I read this correctly- that kids/parents had to PAY before- that a Henry Davis gets a free ride, but Benchwarmer Dave has to PAY?  I guess that's the way it is, but I don't like that. 

I don't know if they received pay at that point since they weren't yet assigned to a minor league team (other than those who were there on a rehab or just to work on something). Of course if they technically are not considered minor leaguers yet, they might be exempt from the new rule requiring the team pay their housing. When I was there Stephen Tarpley, who was acquired with Brault in the Travis Snider trade was there on a rehab but was assigned to the Bradenton Marauders. But for a lot of the players there it seemed like an extended tryout. And the father I talked to said he was paying his son's room and board to the Pirates without mentioning any money coming from the Pirates to pay his son.   
I know this changes from year to year but give me a ballpark figure what the average salary is for a major league baseball player

4.17 million in 2021 according to this site: https://www.statista.com/statistics/236 ... -baseball/

here is minor league info: https://fanbuzz.com/mlb/minor-league-baseball-salary/

We know that minor league salaries are minuscule, but just how low they are might shock you. According to The Athletic, the average player salary for a minor league player was $6,000 in Single-A, $9,350 in Double-A and $15,000 in Triple-A in 2018

GreenWeenie

Minor Leagues

Post by GreenWeenie »

735554435545360 wrote: I visited extended spring training a few years ago at Pirate City in Bradenton. Talked to one of the players who talked about housing. These were recently signed players, mostly low draft picks or undrafted out of HS and not yet assigned to a minor league team. They played games at Pirate City to get evaluated and would then be assigned to whichever league they were deemed ready for. They were housed in the dorms at the Pirate City complex and only the high draft picks had their room and board paid by the Pirates. The others living there had their parents paying the Pirates for room and board or lived "off campus." Talked to one of the fathers who said it was expensive but he was trying to help his son's dream come true. But he realized most of those kids weren't going to make it in MLB. Now that the Pirates will have to pay, they will probably be more selective about the undrafted kids they sign and bring to Pirate City since instead of making money off them it will cost the Pirates money.

4.17 million in 2021 according to this site:  https://www.statista.com/statistics/236 ... -baseball/

here is minor league info:  https://fanbuzz.com/mlb/minor-league-baseball-salary/

We know that minor league salaries are minuscule, but just how low they are might shock you. According to The Athletic, the average player salary for a minor league player was $6,000 in Single-A, $9,350 in Double-A and $15,000 in Triple-A in 2018

Some of that can be a little misleading. Part of the reason that the Average MLB salary is 4.2 million is because we have guys making 30m that force the bottom up.

It's probably better to look at the Mean salary. Half of the players make below this number, and the other half make above it. In a lot of cases, it's because the lower-paid guys don't have as much service time for various reasons. In theory, the better a guy is, the longer they'll stay on the job.
WildwoodDave2

Minor Leagues

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

072120372131420 wrote: I visited extended spring training a few years ago at Pirate City in Bradenton. Talked to one of the players who talked about housing. These were recently signed players, mostly low draft picks or undrafted out of HS and not yet assigned to a minor league team. They played games at Pirate City to get evaluated and would then be assigned to whichever league they were deemed ready for. They were housed in the dorms at the Pirate City complex and only the high draft picks had their room and board paid by the Pirates. The others living there had their parents paying the Pirates for room and board or lived "off campus." Talked to one of the fathers who said it was expensive but he was trying to help his son's dream come true. But he realized most of those kids weren't going to make it in MLB. Now that the Pirates will have to pay, they will probably be more selective about the undrafted kids they sign and bring to Pirate City since instead of making money off them it will cost the Pirates money.

4.17 million in 2021 according to this site:  https://www.statista.com/statistics/236 ... -baseball/

here is minor league info:  https://fanbuzz.com/mlb/minor-league-baseball-salary/

So lets average that out to

10,500. I will go on the low side and say the apartment is $1000 fo a month plus utilities for six months. Doesn't leave much, does it?

Now lets look at the average salary of a major league player. 4.27 I am not sure what the league minimum is. Around 450,000 if I remember correctly. It's probably more.

I am sure you all know that a major league player gets MEAL MONEY when they are on the road. I know what some will say. That's a perk for being in the majors. The bottom line is, most of them DON'T NEED it. On the flip side, those picked after round 3 in most cases need it
BellevueBuc

Minor Leagues

Post by BellevueBuc »

1B363B2A2D3C2B6B68590 wrote: I visited extended spring training a few years ago at Pirate City in Bradenton. Talked to one of the players who talked about housing. These were recently signed players, mostly low draft picks or undrafted out of HS and not yet assigned to a minor league team. They played games at Pirate City to get evaluated and would then be assigned to whichever league they were deemed ready for. They were housed in the dorms at the Pirate City complex and only the high draft picks had their room and board paid by the Pirates. The others living there had their parents paying the Pirates for room and board or lived "off campus." Talked to one of the fathers who said it was expensive but he was trying to help his son's dream come true. But he realized most of those kids weren't going to make it in MLB. Now that the Pirates will have to pay, they will probably be more selective about the undrafted kids they sign and bring to Pirate City since instead of making money off them it will cost the Pirates money.

The smart thing to do would be to build an apartment complex, players stay free. I am sure they could at worst, break even. All of their minor league teams are also in towns with a college or in/close to decent sized cities, should not be hard to fill.

I assume teams will decide that is too risky and pass.
fjk090852-7

Minor Leagues

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read that Jared Triolo won a gold glove as a third baseman in the minor leagues. Mason Martin appears to be the future first baseman for the Bucs, but he does have some high strikeout totals. If he doesn’t pan out, possibly Triolo could move across the diamond to play first base. If I remember Tiolo hit rather well this past season at Greensboro. All the Pirates prospects will not become big league players, but if a team has a number of them, you can move some of the better ones around the diamond to fill a position of need.
Ecbucs

Minor Leagues

Post by Ecbucs »

464A4B1019101815120D17200 wrote: Just read that Jared Triolo won a gold glove as a third baseman in the minor leagues. Mason Martin appears to be the future first baseman for the Bucs, but he does have some high strikeout totals. If he doesn’t pan out, possibly Triolo could move across the diamond to play first base. If I remember Tiolo hit rather well this past season at Greensboro. All the Pirates prospects will not become big league players, but if a team has a number of them, you can move some of the better ones around the diamond to fill a position of need.

that is certainly a possibility. Triolo has played a little shortstop too.

Here are his stats: https://www.milb.com/player/jared-triol ... &year=2021