Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

487D6A6A61586A6A61666A0F0 wrote: The PPG has an article about the Pirates post season plans.
I just read it. What do you think of the mentioning of possibly bringing back Cutch or Marte as a fourth outfielder?

What are you?  A wannabe shedman?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Even Shed knows better.  Marte- fourth in The Burgh?  Come on.  That's like asking Tomlin if he's thinking of coaching in college.  ;) 
HEY!!! DON'T ASK HIM!!!! ;)
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

112F2A22312929220227302374460 wrote: The PPG has an article about the Pirates post season plans.
I just read it. What do you think of the mentioning of possibly bringing back Cutch or Marte as a fourth outfielder?
I think the need to protect players from Rule 5 will limit bringing in FAs (including even dumpster dives) to crowd the 40 man roster. I think some prospects earmarked for AAA will get a good chance in ST to make the 26 man roster instead of adding veterans.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

153835242332256566570 wrote: The PPG has an article about the Pirates post season plans.
I think the need to protect players from Rule 5 will limit bringing in FAs (including even dumpster dives) to crowd the 40 man roster. I think some prospects earmarked for AAA will get a good chance in ST to make the 26 man roster instead of adding veterans.
I see where Harper and Ohtani have been voted the Outstanding Player Award in their respective leagues by the players.Can't remember if this is something new. Regardless, do you think this influences the MVP voting. As far as I'm concerned, the players have a much better insight because they compete against each other and see the players first hand unlike some of these knucklehead sports writers
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

There aren't some knucklehead players? We just never hear how THEY vote.

Since some writers talk with some players, maybe there is some influence. Whether that's enough to influence them enough to affect the vote isn't likely.

In the end, these awards are subjective. Everybody has an opinion, and there's only so much to make of them.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7A4F5858536A58585354583D0 wrote: There aren't some knucklehead players?  We just never hear how THEY vote.

Since some writers talk with some players, maybe there is some influence.  Whether that's enough to influence them enough to affect the vote isn't likely.

In the end, these awards are subjective.  Everybody has an opinion, and there's only so much to make of them.
The awards may be subjective but the players have the ability to more objective since they compete with each other. Especially in their own division, they play each other 18 times
Ecbucs

Off Season Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

192C3B3B30093B3B30373B5E0 wrote: There aren't some knucklehead players?  We just never hear how THEY vote.

Since some writers talk with some players, maybe there is some influence.  Whether that's enough to influence them enough to affect the vote isn't likely.

In the end, these awards are subjective.  Everybody has an opinion, and there's only so much to make of them.

the players didn't use to pay too much attention. The Sporting News used a vote by players to select its post season teams. In 1973 Willie Stargell didn't make the team because the players split their votes for him between left field and first base. He didn't play any first that season. He did play mostly first in 1072.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

022425322434470 wrote: There aren't some knucklehead players?  We just never hear how THEY vote.

the players didn't use to pay too much attention.  The Sporting News used a vote by players to select its post season teams.  In 1973 Willie Stargell didn't make the team because the players split their votes for him between left field and first base.  He didn't play any first that season. He did play mostly first in 1072. 
Buster Posey has announced his retirement
Surgnbuck

Off Season Thread

Post by Surgnbuck »

Sigh.....as soon as the World Series is over it's like the end of The Truman Show-"what do I watch now?"

Soon options will be picked up and declined. Free agency filing. 40 man rosters have to become 40 man rosters. And in about a month the CBA expires. I find it interesting that I haven't heard much about it at all.

Let's hope they get an agreement. My feeling is no matter what they agree on won't favor small markets competitively but will financially
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

64424550595542545C370 wrote: Sigh.....as soon as the World Series is over it's  like the end of The Truman Show-"what do I watch now?"

Soon options will be picked up and declined. Free agency filing. 40 man rosters have to become 40 man rosters. And in about a month the CBA expires. I find it interesting that I haven't heard much about it at all.

Let's hope they get an agreement. My feeling is no matter what they agree on won't favor small markets competitively but will financially

There were the glorious days when I looked forward to TOST as much as the RS & PS..  That ship's sailed. It's here, but I don't look forward to it as much.
ChillinStation

Off Season Thread

Post by ChillinStation »

Yes the guy has warts, but the power is there and he could get better as he gets older. I hope the NL goes with a DH this guy fits the bill . I like the DH, watching pitchers hit is awful. I don`t care about the underlying managerial skills it takes to do yada yada etc.

Give Kyle 5 years /100 mill .  29-33 years old seasons. Thats a solid offer .We can then get 27 -45 hr. per year from the 5th spot. But NL must go DH , cuze we dont want him in the field much.

We need to sign a FA player of standing to let everyone know we are serious. That the plan is in motion full force. Sure a starting pitcher would be a better idea,but a big power hitter is better for fans and the Pirates need one.