Pirate Moves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

1F5C455E4D58495F1F2C0 wrote: "We have reinstated INF Daniel Vogelbach from the 10-day injured list and placed INF Josh VanMeter on the 10-day injured list." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1532854268079767557
Thank goodness Chang is still on the roster. On these warm nights the fans need the breezes from his swings and misses. For the season, 12 Ks in 17 ABs> He's a 1-man air conditioning unit!
GreenWeenie

Pirate Moves

Post by GreenWeenie »

How many BTUs?

Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

Castro has been the primary SS the last 3 weeks and now he's being optioned. That leaves only utility guys Castillo and "Yu Struck Out" Chang for SS. Cruz is on a hot streak at Indy and the Pirates need a SS. Hmmm.
WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

547974656273642427160 wrote: Castro has been the primary SS the last 3 weeks and now he's being optioned. That leaves only utility guys Castillo and "Yu Struck Out" Chang for SS. Cruz is on a hot streak at Indy and the Pirates need a SS. Hmmm.
Would make sense but------
WildwoodDave2

Pirate Moves

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Question- What do the bucs do when Yoshi is ready to return? I think he should be sent to Indy. Would be surprised if he was DFA.

They are doing much better without him!
Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

1C22272F3C24242F0F2A3D2E794B0 wrote: Question- What do the bucs do when Yoshi is ready to return? I think he should be sent to Indy. Would be surprised if he was DFA.

They are doing  much better without him!
This is not just a matter of a player not performing. If it were, Yoshi would be gone yesterday. But this is the player Cherington convinced Nutting to pay 4 million to keep for a year. Because of that--and ONLY because of that--I expect Yoshi to remain on the roster and be given every chance to contribute. No matter how bad he is. If he gets back to how he hit for the Pirates last year they might move him at the TDL to a team looking for a PHer and after most of his salary has already been paid by the Pirates. it's difficult to imagine Cherington admitting that he blew 4 million of his boss's money and moving on from Yoshi while eating the contract.
GreenWeenie

Pirate Moves

Post by GreenWeenie »

I dont believe that for one split second.

Chances are- Cherington is given an annual budget and only needs Nutting's approval if Cherington wishes to exceed it.

If Cherington had the budget for it, and if he wanted to give Yoshi the money, he could do it.  Nutting isn't known to meddle, except in the more recent Reynolds case.  Nutting isn't a talent evaluator.

$4 million is nothing in MLB.  If Cherington needs approval to spend that, then he was stupid to accept this job.

No way did he have to plead the case.  No way.
Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

7A4F5858536A58585354583D0 wrote: I dont believe that for one split second.

Chances are- Cherington is given an annual budget and only needs Nutting's approval if Cherington wishes to exceed it.

If Cherington had the budget for it, and if he wanted to give Yoshi the money, he could do it.  Nutting isn't known to meddle, except in the more recent Reynolds case.  Nutting isn't a talent evaluator.

$4 million is nothing in MLB.  If Cherington needs approval to spend that, then he was stupid to accept this job.

No way did he have to plead the case.  No way.
I hope you're right. But I don't think so. As you said, Nutting is not a talent evaluator. He hired Cherington for that. Prior to the extensions to Hayes and Reynolds, Cherington made Yoshi the highest paid Pirate. I just can't believe it's a small deal for Cherington to admit he screwed the pooch on that one considering how tight-fisted the Pirates payroll is. 4 million is chump change for most MLB teams. But not for the Pirates. For them, it's the 3rd highest salary on the roster. I just don't believe Cherington can pass off the Yoshi signing as an "oopsy-daisy, I'll do better next time" and cut or option him. He needs to hang onto Yoshi in hopes that he can show signs of life and at least partially justify Cherington's decision to sign him.
ChillinStation

Pirate Moves

Post by ChillinStation »

I just love all the new fresh faces with actual talent, it seems.

Suwinski

Mitchell

T.Swag

When will Gamel be back? And who goes back to Indy? Swag has solid/elite defense and Mitchell falls short in the field. Unless he just crushes the ball I think he will be the one to go back to minors.

So much is going to happen in next few months. Things are getting clearer. :o

Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

4F6465606065625F786D786563620C0 wrote: I just love all the new fresh faces with actual talent, it seems.

Suwinski

Mitchell

T.Swag

When will Gamel be back? And who goes back to Indy? Swag has solid/elite defense and Mitchell falls short in the field. Unless he just crushes the ball I think he will be the one to go back to minors.

So much is going to happen in next few months. Things are getting clearer. :o

They are short on OFers. Right now Marcano is the only one besides Suwinski, Reynolds and Mitchell and Marcano seems to be settling in at 2B. So I don't think they will option Mitchell when Gamel returns. Currently, the one totally superfluous player on the roster is Chang. He's an infield utility guy who does nothing but strike out. He will likely be the first one to go. The tougher decisions will be when VanMeter, Yoshi, Marisnick and Newan return.