2017 Outlook

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

2017 Outlook

Post by Ecbucs »

I almost think the worst thing that could happen to the Pirates is for the Cubs to lose the World Series. They will work harder towards upgrading next year. that being said, I am rooting for the Indians.
IABucFan

2017 Outlook

Post by IABucFan »

496F6E796F7F0C0 wrote: I almost think the worst thing that could happen to the Pirates is for the Cubs to lose the World Series.  They will work harder towards upgrading next year.  that being said, I am rooting for the Indians.

Agreed. But, we're three outs from it being 3-1. Hopefully, Fowler leaves, Hendricks has a major regression, Lackey, Lester, Zobrist, and Montero all start showing their age, and the rest of them have down years.
Bobster21

2017 Outlook

Post by Bobster21 »

Good post, IABucFan. And the quote "Better to leave one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" has always been one of my favorites. The question of can't vs won't is key. Because if it's "won't" then there's reason to hope for change. But that doesn't mean change will occur. And if it's "can't" then it's hopeless. But a huge issue for NH is the question of whether the core had down years. No one can know that until they play again next year. Will Cutch, Harrison, Kang, Cole and Watson rebound? If so, they're only a few players away. If not, the core they thought they could rely on needs to be blown up. If I'm NH, I start with an assumption those guys will improve and only a few significant additions are needed. What else can they do? But if they don't even try to add significant pieces.... A lot remains to be seen.
ArnoldRothstein

2017 Outlook

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Can't help but think of 1979, down 3-1 with old, sore-armed Rooker going to the mound, and then Tanner's mom passed away. Cubs are still very much alive as long as Lester, Arrieta, and Hendricks find their way to the ballpark and remember which hand to throw with.
rucker59@gmail.com

2017 Outlook

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Ia and Bobster - good posts and I think a good analysis.  I'm going to add one more factor for NH to consider when making decisions on next year's team: heart.  I know a lot of people blow this off, but I am convinced that this team quit.  Way too many lazy plays (the Pirates must have led the league in allowing batters to turn singles into doubles because of slow and sloppy play getting the ball back into the infield; this is just one of many examples).  All three OFers regressed - they should be the heart and soul of this team. 

Personally, I think the SR needs more help then this organization can provide.  Believing that Pitching is more important the lineup, I would be aggressive. 

In any event, I'm not going to allow an owner or a anyone chase me away.  Maybe next year will be my last with season tickets, but I'll keep hoping and hollering.  I hope others can hang on as well.
NewMexicoLobo

2017 Outlook

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

And will we compete to do so?
rucker59@gmail.com

2017 Outlook

2E05172D051809030F2C0F020F600 wrote: And will we compete to do so?

I think this is one of the most important questions of the off season. I'm guessing they won't.
NewMexicoLobo

2017 Outlook

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

4443555D5344030F76515B575F5A1855595B360 wrote: And will we compete to do so?

I think this is one of the most important questions of the off season.  I'm guessing they won't.  How much do you think it might take?
Quail

2017 Outlook

Post by Quail »

I think Nova will likely command about the same kind of contract that J.A. Happ was given by Toronto last off season, 3yr/$39M. Each had roughly the same degree of success with the Pirates, and their overall respective pitching pedigrees are similar entering their free agent year.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Nova gets a longer term since he's 3 years younger than Happ. He might also get a bit more money per year due to his higher status in a relatively lower quality free agent starting pitching market this off season compared to last. Add to that the usual year to year inflation of salaries in MLB and I think it's unlikely that the Pirates will be a player in the Nova sweepstakes.
rucker59@gmail.com

2017 Outlook

I actually think the Pirates would do 3/39. But I agree, Nova will get a 4th and maybe 5th year and the Pirates won't consider the extra year.