What would another GM do?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The subscription plan got some season ticket holders upset. But they are standing room, not seats. But does this mean a fire sale is coming? Are other teams doing this too? Sounds like a good plan to me, I am interested.

The Braves are doing what Littlefield did for years. Littlefield brought in so many older, past their prime players. It got fans hope up for a while because of the names, but it was never a full rebuilding process.

Quick research brought up some names: Casey, Mondesi, Bedard, Overbay, Diaz, Ward, Vasquez, Burnitz, Randa, Barajas, Stynes, Lawton, Bell, Strange, Lofton, Stairs, Sanders, and Santiago.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: The subscription plan got some season ticket holders upset.  But they are standing room, not seats.  But does this mean a fire sale is coming?  Are other teams doing this too?  Sounds like a good plan to me, I am interested.

The Braves are doing what Littlefield did for years.  Littlefield brought in so many older, past their prime players.  It got fans hope up for a while because of the names, but it was never a full rebuilding process.

Quick research brought up some names:  Casey, Mondesi, Bedard, Overbay, Diaz, Ward, Vasquez, Burnitz, Randa, Barajas, Stynes, Lawton, Bell, Strange, Lofton, Stairs, Sanders, and Santiago.

Ummmm.....NH brought in Overbay, Vazquez, Diaz, Bedard and Barajas.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

The Pirates started the season with 3 outfielders on the roster.

First --- How many teams do that?

Second --- Marte, soon after the season started, was suspended for half the year (two outfielders now on the roster).

Third --- Frazier, a utility player who has limited outfield experience and who presumably was the fourth outfielder is out for an extended period.

Fourth --- Polanco has now been out for a goodly number of games.

Fifth --- Jaso, even though his bat is picking up is NOT an outfielder, and Osuna is not much better in the field and has even less of a hitting pedigree.

Sixth --- Ortiz is called up, and he apparently can field, but he has never really hit at the minor league level.

Seventh --- The outfielders we have, with the current exception of Frazier, aren't hitting.

Conclusion --- This team has needed another outfielder since the start of the season and the lack of at least one real outfielder (someone who can play all 3 positions) is inexplicable and indefensible. I like NH and overall, I believe he is doing a good job within the significant constraints with which he must operate.

But --- If this team has $5 mil to spend, and they have disposable pieces on the roster like Hanson, Gift and Ortiz, and someone who could be optioned to the minors like Osuna (who likely would benefit from more playing time), why hasn't the team obtained an outfielder? Every day that passes without them picking someone up leads me to question how committed the organization is to winning.

Also, in contrast, the Bucs acquired Barbato from the Yanks to replace Bastardo, and when Lindblom went down, they obtained Marinez rather than recalling someone from the minors.

Really disappointing that management does not feel the same sense of urgency that I feel when watching Jaso struggle to catch even a very routine fly ball, let alone a line drive.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

052921262D0A3D2B3B480 wrote:

Conclusion --- This team has needed another outfielder since the start of the season and the lack of at least one real outfielder (someone who can play all 3 positions) is inexplicable and indefensible.   I like NH and overall, I believe he is doing a good job within the significant constraints with which he must operate.

But --- If this team has $5 mil to spend, and they have disposable pieces on the roster like Hanson, Gift and Ortiz, and someone who could be optioned to the minors like Osuna (who likely would benefit from more playing time), why hasn't the team obtained an outfielder?  Every day that passes without them picking someone up leads me to question how committed the organization is to winning. ....

DING DING DING.

Is there a commitment to winning....

I know one thing for sure- if the fans don't show their "commitment" we'll hear that the fans are to blame.
rucker59@gmail.com

Latest new excuse: team X is trying to put butts in the seats. It's not a real baseball trade. The Pirates are too good to make a non-baseball trade.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I am inclined to agree. There has to be someone languishing in AAA or on a major league bench that can play some outfield and hit a little.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

3A3D2B232D3A7D71082F25292124662B2725480 wrote: Freddy Freeman goes down, the braves acquire Matt Adams from the cards to replace him, middle of may.

I thought for sure trades don't happen this early, especially trades by teams that have no chance to compete (Braves)

Both the cards and braves should be widely criticized for trading outside of the accepted windows!   Who do they think they are?

Adams was pretty much given away.  The White Sox traded Alex Katz the same day.  There were 15 trades in May.  Only Adams was known (probably because of Pittsburgh ties).

These weren't block buster trades, which was the point.  And the point you claimed you understood when a few explained it to you. 

No, your point misses the point . I held off making the same post Dmetz posted - I figured the responses would parce the deal into a meaningless transaction.  But it's anything but meaningless.

The Braves have taken a lot of action to rebuild since last season.  They are BUILDING a team from every source.  They are not punting on this season; whatever their season is worth they are trying to be the best they can be by acquiring a credible replacement piece for Freeman.

The Pirates on the other hand have built nothing and have literally embarrassed themselves by pulling any spare part that has a heart beat. 

How folks can possible criticize the Braves, or belittle there attempts to field a competitive team is beyond astounding. 

The fact is, the Pirates did nothing.  The first excuse was that trades don't happen before July.  How that the Cards and Braves have blown that excuse up, We need a new excuse and it goes something like this: well that trade proves the Pirates right, Adams can't even play the outfield and besides he's not that good and besides no one knows of him except Pirate fans since he played at SR and beside this trade was meaningless.

When blind excuses keep following no actions the excuses begin to lose their appeal - unlike the Braves, this Pirate team claimed to have post season aspirations.  Unlike the Braves, when the Pirate team with aspirations lost two key players for a minimum of half a season the Pirates did NOTHING. 

There are no excuses for that.  And THAT's the point. 

The braves are in the middle of a rebuild that isn't working.  They have no plan and no idea except "we've got good guys coming soon".

I would have loved to have seen this board if we'd have brought in two 40 year old pitchers for 20 million or traded for another bad one that we had to pay 12 million in 2017 in Garcia.

I don't love what's happening but giving the Braves a participant  trophy for replacing Freeman is crazy.  With the exception of the Shelby Miller trade, this team rebuild hasn't worked.

rucker59@gmail.com

6855524855523C0 wrote: Freddy Freeman goes down, the braves acquire Matt Adams from the cards to replace him, middle of may.

I thought for sure trades don't happen this early, especially trades by teams that have no chance to compete (Braves)

Both the cards and braves should be widely criticized for trading outside of the accepted windows!   Who do they think they are?

Adams was pretty much given away.  The White Sox traded Alex Katz the same day.  There were 15 trades in May.  Only Adams was known (probably because of Pittsburgh ties).

These weren't block buster trades, which was the point.  And the point you claimed you understood when a few explained it to you. 

No, your point misses the point . I held off making the same post Dmetz posted - I figured the responses would parce the deal into a meaningless transaction.  But it's anything but meaningless.

The Braves have taken a lot of action to rebuild since last season.  They are BUILDING a team from every source.  They are not punting on this season; whatever their season is worth they are trying to be the best they can be by acquiring a credible replacement piece for Freeman.

The Pirates on the other hand have built nothing and have literally embarrassed themselves by pulling any spare part that has a heart beat. 

How folks can possible criticize the Braves, or belittle there attempts to field a competitive team is beyond astounding. 

The fact is, the Pirates did nothing.  The first excuse was that trades don't happen before July.  How that the Cards and Braves have blown that excuse up, We need a new excuse and it goes something like this: well that trade proves the Pirates right, Adams can't even play the outfield and besides he's not that good and besides no one knows of him except Pirate fans since he played at SR and beside this trade was meaningless.

When blind excuses keep following no actions the excuses begin to lose their appeal - unlike the Braves, this Pirate team claimed to have post season aspirations.  Unlike the Braves, when the Pirate team with aspirations lost two key players for a minimum of half a season the Pirates did NOTHING. 

There are no excuses for that.  And THAT's the point. 

The braves are in the middle of a rebuild that isn't working.  They have no plan and no idea except "we've got good guys coming soon".

I would have loved to have seen this board if we'd have brought in two 40 year old pitchers for 20 million or traded for another bad one that we had to pay 12 million in 2017 in Garcia.

I don't love what's happening but giving the Braves a participant  trophy for replacing Freeman is crazy.  With the exception of the Shelby Miller trade, this team rebuild hasn't worked.

I'm not grading the Braves, not saying they're doing a good job. I'm saying they demonstrate that moves in May are certainly doable.

I'm just getting weary of empty excuses. Cleveland and KC show that small mkts can certainly carry a greater payroll. The Braves didn't waste anytime in filling a hole.

I'm not grading whether the Indians or Royals or Braves or anybody, I'm commenting that the Excuses made by or for the Pirates are completely empty.

I have to go back to Maine's point: it seems pretty fair to question the organizations commitment to winning.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The discussion was major moves are rarely done in April or May. Teams don't trade difference makers at that time. The Pirates weren't going to get someone like Marte at that time.

The Pirates have players like Adams already in Jaso, Osuna. The Braves didn't even have that and had to go get someone. They should have planned better for when a player gets hurt. Where have we heard that before?
notes34

Post by notes34 »

464D45494C4D561315625B434A4D4D0C414D220 wrote: The discussion was major moves are rarely done in April or May.  Teams don't trade difference makers at that time.  The Pirates weren't going to get someone like Marte at that time. 

The Pirates have players like Adams already in Jaso, Osuna.  The Braves didn't even have that and had to go get someone.  They should have planned better for when a player gets hurt.  Where have we heard that before?
The problem is Jaso and Osuna are out of position. The Pirates very well could've picked up a real OF.