Nicassio and LeBlanc placed on Irrevoccable Waivers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7E757D7174756E2B2D5A637B7275753479751A0 wrote: Oh, so it is a getting a leg up on the free agent market?  That's what I said too that was laughed at. 

Also why I said "It's a waste of money if he is not offered an extension".

I don't buy the other things you mentioned. Would you (we) want the Pirates to pick up the same type of player/cost/control for a month?  The Pirates would be laughed at if they did that (see Benoit). 
The Phillies have injuries in their BP and Nicasio simply fell into their lap for practically nothing in MLB dollars. To Nutting, it's about $100,000 more than it will cost for their 25th player on the team next year when the minimum salary raises to $545,000. Phillies will still be a bad team the last month. But for that chump change there was no reason not to grab him when they were shorthanded. It's not a gamble that he'll sign with them but it can't hurt. The whole issue is that any team would be silly not to grab him even for a month for the same money Nutting feels he desperately has to save.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5A51595550514A0F097E475F565151105D513E0 wrote: Oh, so it is a getting a leg up on the free agent market?  That's what I said too that was laughed at. 

I don't buy the other things you mentioned. Would you (we) want the Pirates to pick up the same type of player/cost/control for a month?  The Pirates would be laughed at if they did that (see Benoit). 

Sorry, the Pirates should be laughed at with the acquisition of Benoit for starters.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

15050433252529460 wrote: Oh, so it is a getting a leg up on the free agent market?  That's what I said too that was laughed at. 

Sorry, the Pirates should be laughed at with the acquisition of Benoit for starters.

And they were laughed at and questioned. It was a weird move. And Benoit had similar stats to Watson, why he was added (people probably didn't like that reasoning):

42.0 IP, 43 K, 5 HR, 1.143 whip, 4.07 ERA

46.2 IP, 35 K, 7 HR, 1.521 whip, 3.66 ERA

Not sure why this isn't a weird move for the Phillies? They really want that veteran leadership? Nicasio has never made it to the post season.

This whole thing was weird: The Pirates giving him away to save money, then a last place team with September call ups coming, picking him up.

It was like trading Watson and Nicasio for Benoit, Cruz, and German.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Could the Phills be doing some unnamed team a favor by blocking anyone else from taking Nicassio? Later on, said unnamed team sweetens some other, seemingly unrelated deal a little bit?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6E6B6C6A6268716C6576707D040 wrote: Could the Phills be doing some unnamed team a favor by blocking anyone else from taking Nicassio?  Later on, said unnamed team sweetens some other, seemingly unrelated deal a little bit?

I think they could be doing that. But would that be collusion? This is the rumor on Twitter.