MLB Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

MLB Draft

Post by Surgnbuck »

73414D4D596B48414C494641200 wrote: WHAT? 

The Angels drafted 20 pitchers.
They'll need that so they can trade half of them for Nelson Cruz, then sign him to a 10 year, 350 million dollar deal.

Ohtani, Trout, Cruz for the next 10 years they'll say. What could go wrong?
SammyKhalifa

MLB Draft

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Did I accidentally disappear this thread? Hope this brings it back.
SammyKhalifa

MLB Draft

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Fangraphs:

Pittsburgh Pirates

The Pirates ended up taking several seniors to help try to accommodate the big upside high schoolers they took in rounds two through four, including Dallas Baptist second baseman Jackson Glenn (fifth round), who I thought was one of the best seniors available. He hit 20 bombs in 2021. Pittsburgh ended up with four of our top 54 prospects — Henry Davis (first), Anthony Solometo (second), Lonnie White (comp B), and Bubba Chandler (third), who was announced as a pitcher. This was our third-ranked farm system but they may have pushed themselves past Toronto with this draft. Davis was our second-ranked prospect. He has big power, feel for contact, and a plus-plus arm. Solometo has a long, low arm action, very advanced east/west command, and his slider projects to plus at peak. He needs to find a better changeup but his chances seem pretty good, despite his long arm action, because he has such good feel to pitch already, and his changeup’s movement will mimic his fastball’s since he’s a lower slot guy.

Fourth-round high school pitcher Owen Kellington was a participant in the Draft League and combine. He has a delivery similar to Ubaldo Jiménez’s, where his front side flies way open and he tilts out, which helps Kellington get to a vertical arm slot. That creates backspin and carry on his fastball and big depth on his curve. He sits in the high-80s but has promising underlying traits.
rucker59@gmail.com

MLB Draft

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

54666A6A7E4C6F666B6E6166070 wrote: Fangraphs:

Pittsburgh Pirates

The Pirates ended up taking several seniors to help try to accommodate the big upside high schoolers they took in rounds two through four, including Dallas Baptist second baseman Jackson Glenn (fifth round), who I thought was one of the best seniors available. He hit 20 bombs in 2021. Pittsburgh ended up with four of our top 54 prospects — Henry Davis (first), Anthony Solometo (second), Lonnie White (comp B), and Bubba Chandler (third), who was announced as a pitcher. This was our third-ranked farm system but they may have pushed themselves past Toronto with this draft. ....

Gotta admit - I've been so focused on the sinking Pirate ship that I have not paid nearly enough attention to things down the system. I know of a couple of the bigger prospects, but I figured that when Hayes moved up the remaining farm was unimpressive. Over the past few weeks I've become aware that the system is actually top 10 and lately I've seen ranking of 4th and now 3rd. possibly soon to be #1.

WOW, that happened quickly!

Well done Ben C!
DemDog

MLB Draft

Post by DemDog »

6562747C7265222E57707A767E7B3974787A170 wrote: Fangraphs:

Pittsburgh Pirates

The Pirates ended up taking several seniors to help try to accommodate the big upside high schoolers they took in rounds two through four, including Dallas Baptist second baseman Jackson Glenn (fifth round), who I thought was one of the best seniors available. He hit 20 bombs in 2021. Pittsburgh ended up with four of our top 54 prospects — Henry Davis (first), Anthony Solometo (second), Lonnie White (comp B), and Bubba Chandler (third), who was announced as a pitcher. This was our third-ranked farm system but they may have pushed themselves past Toronto with this draft. ....

Gotta admit - I've been so focused on the sinking Pirate ship that I have not paid nearly enough attention to things down the system.  I know of a couple of the bigger prospects, but I figured that when Hayes moved up the remaining farm was unimpressive.  Over the past few weeks I've become aware that the system is actually top 10 and lately I've seen ranking of 4th and now 3rd.  possibly soon to be #1.

Well done Ben C!

All the more reason to subscribe to the site Pirates Prospect now called Pittsburgh Baseball Network aka PBN at: https://pittsburghbaseball.com/
rucker59@gmail.com

MLB Draft

507179507B73140 wrote: Fangraphs:

Pittsburgh Pirates

Gotta admit - I've been so focused on the sinking Pirate ship that I have not paid nearly enough attention to things down the system.  I know of a couple of the bigger prospects, but I figured that when Hayes moved up the remaining farm was unimpressive.  Over the past few weeks I've become aware that the system is actually top 10 and lately I've seen ranking of 4th and now 3rd.  possibly soon to be #1.

Well done Ben C!

All the more reason to subscribe to the site Pirates Prospect now called Pittsburgh Baseball Network aka PBN at: https://pittsburghbaseball.com/

Thanks Possum, I think I will do just that.

All the best to you and yours (hope you're having a great trip!)
shedman

MLB Draft

Post by shedman »

The stupid Angels drafted all pitchers. Their GM has no idea what he is doing. It is small wonder that they have only won 5 Division Championships!!!
PMike

MLB Draft

Post by PMike »

77565E775C54330 wrote: Fangraphs:

Pittsburgh Pirates

Well done Ben C!

We also paid for the MiLB video app. It's like $13-14 per month and it allows you to watch pretty much all of the minor league games in HD (listening to their announcers). I have really enjoyed watching our prospects play this year in lieu (largely) of watching the Pirates. I have watched Greensboro the most. That team has lots of reasons to be optimistic about the future.
IABucFan

MLB Draft

Post by IABucFan »

Have to say, from what I've read, I'm impressed with this draft. I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about any of these guys, so I'm just going off what the experts say. By one account, Bucs got four of the top 32 players, five of the top 100.

However, it sounds like Braylon Bishop isn't going to sign and is going to go to Arkansas. I'd love to see them work out a deal with him, but at least on his Twitter feed, he seems pretty set on being a Razorback.
rucker59@gmail.com

MLB Draft

4B4340776144636C020 wrote: Have to say, from what I've read, I'm impressed with this draft. I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about any of these guys, so I'm just going off what the experts say. By one account, Bucs got four of the top 32 players, five of the top 100.

However, it sounds like Braylon Bishop isn't going to sign and is going to go to Arkansas. I'd love to see them work out a deal with him, but at least on his Twitter feed, he seems pretty set on being a Razorback.

I don't know: if a kid posts a tweet expressing excitement about joining his college team, and then takes the tweet down, which side (the Razorbacks or the Pirates) should feel the most encouraged?  Who knows what is going through his mind, but I think the Pirates have the better reason to feel encouraged.