Official Game Thread - 7/18 - Bucs vs Mutts

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4E7B6C6C675E6C6C67606C090 wrote: The highs and lows of being a baseball fan.  Was tied up traveling and running errands all weekend long.  Had the opportunity to listen to most of Friday evening's game...and, today's game.  More on that.

Missed yesterday's game altogether and was so busy that it's probably the first game all year that I didn't at least read about it.  I didn't know anything about it until Accused Welcher, WWD, called to tell me all about it....and, today's Met's calliope-esque play in the first.  Figures.  The one game I miss and, of course, it has to be the most exciting. 

Then, today.  All game long, I had the uneasy feeling that the bad guys would somehow chip away at our lead, and....  :(

For most games, I like to listen to opposing announcers because I can't stand Greg (Every Game's Game 7, Even When The Season's Over) Brown and I like to hear what the "other " guys have to say about our team.  But, for these two games, I listened to Block and Walk. 

I'll be perfectly candid, and I was left asking why other guys here don't like Block.  I had no problems with anything I heard.  If I was to stretch, I'd say that maybe he isn't the most exciting guy in the world, but I found him to be pleasant.  Announcers are the least of my concentrations when it comes to baseball games, so they're not a very big deal to me.  They have to be way on the extremes of annoying (a la Brown) for me to be bothered by them.

This must be one of those areas where reasonable people differ in opionions. 

I have heard very little of Block this year because I deliberately avoid him. But maybe I'll give him another chance. My problem with him is not how he describes the game. It's that he tries to fill every second of airtime with his voice by talking about anything that comes to mind. After awhile it becomes cringe worthy when he starts a new topic not related to the game he is there to describe. Seems to me that in prior years he and Brown alternated TV and radio series but this year Brown has handled most of the TV work. So maybe AT&T has received complaints about Block. And if so, maybe Block is toning down his act. I'll have to check him out soon.

I nearly went to the radio broadcast the last 2 days because Brown and McKenry are incredibly annoying as they constantly try to be cute and funny and always praise one another. And of course McKenry includes "Brownie" or "Greg Brown" in the majority of his comments. I think Brown is fine as a PBP announcer with anyone else as his color guy but with McKenry they are unbearable.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

734651515A6351515A5D51340 wrote: The highs and lows of being a baseball fan.  Was tied up traveling and running errands all weekend long.  Had the opportunity to listen to most of Friday evening's game...and, today's game.  More on that.

Missed yesterday's game altogether and was so busy that it's probably the first game all year that I didn't at least read about it.  I didn't know anything about it until Accused Welcher, WWD, called to tell me all about it....and, today's Met's calliope-esque play in the first.  Figures.  The one game I miss and, of course, it has to be the most exciting. 

Then, today.  All game long, I had the uneasy feeling that the bad guys would somehow chip away at our lead, and....  :(

For most games, I like to listen to opposing announcers because I can't stand Greg (Every Game's Game 7, Even When The Season's Over) Brown and I like to hear what the "other " guys have to say about our team.  But, for these two games, I listened to Block and Walk. 

I'll be perfectly candid, and I was left asking why other guys here don't like Block.  I had no problems with anything I heard.  If I was to stretch, I'd say that maybe he isn't the most exciting guy in the world, but I found him to be pleasant.  Announcers are the least of my concentrations when it comes to baseball games, so they're not a very big deal to me.  They have to be way on the extremes of annoying (a la Brown) for me to be bothered by them.

We agree on the announcers to an extent. I do like hearing the other team's guys. I don't hate Block but not a fan. I like Brown when there is a lot of action in a fast paced game. His pbp craft is stellar then and he turns down the hyperbole.

I had same feeling in this game as brubaker was shaky and runs were going to happen. Pivotal moment when defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory was bases loaded no outs top of order with 2 all stars and a guy whose entire career is built on torturing the Mets. All three strike out. I would have been surprised had they not blown it at that point.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Check your In Box.

In "fairness" (perhaps not the best choice of words) to Brown, I've heard him "off" the air (as in, when he's been interviewed by others, such as MLBNR.)  I've found him to be genuine and level-headed and fair when he was asked for his opinions on the club.  He wasn't completely "homer."  He gave his thoughts that were favorable to the team, and some that weren't favorable.  I agree with you in that he's pretty good when he keeps within a certain range.  But, on those times when he doesn't...it's like screeching on a chalkboard....if they still use chalkboards thse days.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

5D707D6C6B7A6D2D2E1F0 wrote: The highs and lows of being a baseball fan.  Was tied up traveling and running errands all weekend long.  Had the opportunity to listen to most of Friday evening's game...and, today's game.  More on that.

I have heard very little of Block this year because I deliberately avoid him. But maybe I'll give him another chance. My problem with him is not how he describes the game. It's that he tries to fill every second of airtime with his voice by talking about anything that comes to mind. After awhile it becomes cringe worthy when he starts a new topic not related to the game he is there to describe. Seems to me that in prior years he and Brown alternated TV and radio series but this year Brown has handled most of the TV work. So maybe AT&T has received complaints about Block. And if so, maybe Block is toning down his act. I'll have to check him out soon.

I nearly went to the radio broadcast the last 2 days because Brown and McKenry are incredibly annoying as they constantly try to be cute and funny and always praise one another. And of course McKenry includes "Brownie" or "Greg Brown" in the majority of his comments. I think Brown is fine as a PBP announcer with anyone else as his color guy but with McKenry they are unbearable.   

Now that you've reminded me....I recall that you've mentioned this before....yes, he doesn't leave a lot of "free air." The best speakers know when to use pauses to their advantage. But, you had to remind me of this just now. Maybe if I listened to every game, I would notice it like you have.

I listened to hear how I thought of his interaction with Walk. In these two games, I thought both were pretty good together.

One thing I liked was that he used several descriptive phrases and words rather than cliches. He probably has some Thesarus memorized or something.

I've listened to most of the NL clubs' announcers in recent seasons. I'd rank these two (Block and Walk) to be as good as almost all of the others, and better than some. I've heard much fewer of the AL announcers. There are some that I enjoy.