Minor Leagues

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Minor Leagues

Post by Ecbucs »

5F5A5D5B5359405D5447414C350 wrote: Article I was reading was saying that the total cost for housing all minor league players would be less than a million dollars a season.  Knowing that, it's a bit pathetic that they've not been doing it already and have to be forced by MLB.

yes, all the talk of good nutrition taking care of your body and no team decided this was a good way to do it. I can see older players wanting a stipend but for lowest level team housing makes more sense to me.

Someone posted earlier that players that aren't drafted but are invited to try out at spring training are charged room and board if they stay in the team's facilities (I don't think that comment was specific to Pirates).
WildwoodDave2

Minor Leagues

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

093C2B2B20192B2B20272B4E0 wrote: O'Neill Cruz hit his first Triple A HR last night.
I read today that beginning in  2022 the owners will foot the bill for housing costs incurred by players. Approx. 60% of their monthly paycheck goes for housing. This will certainly take the

pressure off those who didn't get big signing bonuses. Who said Bob was cheap? :D

I could've sworn that I saw a similar post by 3 in TOST.  DNK what's happening.

Not sure how I feel on this.

I certainly agree that minor league guys should earn more.  I'm just not sure who should fit the bill for housing.

If they're paid more, they can pay their rent. 

But, who should do the paying- the minor league club...or the major league affiliate?  The money has to come from somewhere.  The more that MLB clubs are required to give their minor league clubs, the less they'll have for MLB talent.

It doesn't matter who should be doing the paying. The Owners are doing the paying. I agree with wvbucco-long overdue.
DemDog

Minor Leagues

Post by DemDog »

Here is a link from MLTRs with full details.

MLB to Require Teams to Provide Housing for Minor Leaguers
GreenWeenie

Minor Leagues

Post by GreenWeenie »

Not trying to be argumentative; only wondering:

I'm all in on housing and minor league players having a reasonable life. I only wonder where the money should come. In the end, I know. That's fine by me.

If <1 mpy, then why not just raise Wilmington Blue Rocks tix by a little? I'll still go, and possibly even more often. Who knows?

I worked for a (highly profitable) company that could more than afford to provide housing to employees who needed it. But, that was our own company, not some other.

And, the housing was better for this group than adding money to their compensation.

I'm the kind of guy who'd prefer to have a pay increase so that I can rent my own place or share it with a guy or two.

I wonder what the plans will be for this.
WildwoodDave2

Minor Leagues

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5065727279407272797E72170 wrote: Not trying to be argumentative; only wondering:

I'm all in on housing and minor league players having a reasonable life.  I only wonder where the money should come.  In the end, I know.  That's fine by me.

If <1 mpy, then why not just raise Wilmington Blue Rocks tix by a little?  I'll still go, and possibly even more often.  Who knows?

I worked for a (highly profitable) company that could more than afford to provide housing to employees who needed it.  But, that was our own company, not some other.

And, the housing was better for this group than adding money to their compensation.

I'm the kind of guy who'd prefer to have a pay increase so that I can rent my own place or share it with a guy or two.

I wonder what the plans will be for this.
I would like to know the amount each player will be given.
GreenWeenie

Minor Leagues

Post by GreenWeenie »

This much, you can take to the bank:

Whatever it is, it will never be enough!

First, it's housing.

Then, utilities.

Then, furnishings.

Then, appliances.

Then, food.

Then, PCs.

Then, a nice, big BIG SCREEN.

And, of course, gotta have that FIRESTICK!

With all that being taken care of, why bother busting ass to become a MLB player?
Bobster21

Minor Leagues

Post by Bobster21 »

I visited extended spring training a few years ago at Pirate City in Bradenton. Talked to one of the players who talked about housing. These were recently signed players, mostly low draft picks or undrafted out of HS and not yet assigned to a minor league team. They played games at Pirate City to get evaluated and would then be assigned to whichever league they were deemed ready for. They were housed in the dorms at the Pirate City complex and only the high draft picks had their room and board paid by the Pirates. The others living there had their parents paying the Pirates for room and board or lived "off campus." Talked to one of the fathers who said it was expensive but he was trying to help his son's dream come true. But he realized most of those kids weren't going to make it in MLB. Now that the Pirates will have to pay, they will probably be more selective about the undrafted kids they sign and bring to Pirate City since instead of making money off them it will cost the Pirates money.
GreenWeenie

Minor Leagues

Post by GreenWeenie »

002D20313627307073420 wrote: I visited extended spring training a few years ago at Pirate City in Bradenton. Talked to one of the players who talked about housing. These were recently signed players, mostly low draft picks or undrafted out of HS and not yet assigned to a minor league team. They played games at Pirate City to get evaluated and would then be assigned to whichever league they were deemed ready for. They were housed in the dorms at the Pirate City complex and only the high draft picks had their room and board paid by the Pirates. The others living there had their parents paying the Pirates for room and board or lived "off campus." Talked to one of the fathers who said it was expensive but he was trying to help his son's dream come true. But he realized most of those kids weren't going to make it in MLB. Now that the Pirates will have to pay, they will probably be more selective about the undrafted kids they sign and bring to Pirate City since instead of making money off them it will cost the Pirates money.

Whoa! That changes things in my eyes. I was under the assumption that these were minor leaguers- who are paid to play.

What you're talking about here reminds me of "recruitment"- kids who are drafted or undrafted and aren't part of the system yet. They're just trying to make it.

Do I read this correctly- that kids/parents had to PAY before- that a Henry Davis gets a free ride, but Benchwarmer Dave has to PAY? I guess that's the way it is, but I don't like that.

It's professional baseball, not the typical summer camp.
Bobster21

Minor Leagues

Post by Bobster21 »

063324242F1624242F2824410 wrote: I visited extended spring training a few years ago at Pirate City in Bradenton. Talked to one of the players who talked about housing. These were recently signed players, mostly low draft picks or undrafted out of HS and not yet assigned to a minor league team. They played games at Pirate City to get evaluated and would then be assigned to whichever league they were deemed ready for. They were housed in the dorms at the Pirate City complex and only the high draft picks had their room and board paid by the Pirates. The others living there had their parents paying the Pirates for room and board or lived "off campus." Talked to one of the fathers who said it was expensive but he was trying to help his son's dream come true. But he realized most of those kids weren't going to make it in MLB. Now that the Pirates will have to pay, they will probably be more selective about the undrafted kids they sign and bring to Pirate City since instead of making money off them it will cost the Pirates money.

Whoa!  That changes things in my eyes.  I was under the assumption that these were minor leaguers- who are paid to play. 

What you're talking about here reminds me of "recruitment"- kids who are drafted or undrafted and aren't part of the system yet.  They're just trying to make it.

Do I read this correctly- that kids/parents had to PAY before- that a Henry Davis gets a free ride, but Benchwarmer Dave has to PAY?  I guess that's the way it is, but I don't like that. 

It's professional baseball, not the typical summer camp.
I don't know if they received pay at that point since they weren't yet assigned to a minor league team (other than those who were there on a rehab or just to work on something). Of course if they technically are not considered minor leaguers yet, they might be exempt from the new rule requiring the team pay their housing. When I was there Stephen Tarpley, who was acquired with Brault in the Travis Snider trade was there on a rehab but was assigned to the Bradenton Marauders. But for a lot of the players there it seemed like an extended tryout. And the father I talked to said he was paying his son's room and board to the Pirates without mentioning any money coming from the Pirates to pay his son.
Ecbucs

Minor Leagues

Post by Ecbucs »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: I visited extended spring training a few years ago at Pirate City in Bradenton. Talked to one of the players who talked about housing. These were recently signed players, mostly low draft picks or undrafted out of HS and not yet assigned to a minor league team. They played games at Pirate City to get evaluated and would then be assigned to whichever league they were deemed ready for. They were housed in the dorms at the Pirate City complex and only the high draft picks had their room and board paid by the Pirates. The others living there had their parents paying the Pirates for room and board or lived "off campus." Talked to one of the fathers who said it was expensive but he was trying to help his son's dream come true. But he realized most of those kids weren't going to make it in MLB. Now that the Pirates will have to pay, they will probably be more selective about the undrafted kids they sign and bring to Pirate City since instead of making money off them it will cost the Pirates money.
thanks for posting this. It must have been your post on this that I was remembering in my post above.