The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

The Departed

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

072A27363120377774450 wrote: Adam Frazier with seven hits in his last two games.  He's struggled since the trade.
In a lineup with Tatis, Machado and Hosmer yesterday, Frazier was batting cleanup!  :o

I saw that, and he hit in that spot on Wednesday, too.  I guess it shows that other managers besides Shelton do some weird things.
[highlight]Thursday was his first time hitting 4th.[/highlight] On Wednesday he hit 6th but had 4 hits.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 9150.shtml

It was an unusual move by the manager but I can see the logic of someone who lacks power but gets hits frequently being in a spot where singles and doubles are likely to produce runs if the top third of the lineup are getting on base. That might be more logical than a cleanup hitter who has power but a low BA and is much less likely to get a hit.

It's a rarely seen strategy but in 1985 the Cardinals batted Tom Herr 3rd in 151 games. Herr had only 28 HRs in a 13 year career and hit only 8 (his career high) that year. But he had 180 total hits, batted .302 and drove in 110 runs (3rd in the NL). With Vince Coleman and Willie McGee getting on base in front of Herr and often stealing bases, Herr's frequent singles and doubles produced runs more often than someone who might have hit .230 with a lot of HRs. 

Oops, I misread the box score. Damn reading comprehension.
shedman

The Departed

Post by shedman »

Polanco is batting .320 with 4 HR's and 4 SB for the Toronto farm club! But at least we have Cole Tucker.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

706B66676E626D030 wrote: Polanco is batting .320 with 4 HR's and 4 SB for the Toronto farm club!  But at least we have Cole Tucker.
Looks like Polanco has found his level.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Departed

455E53525B5758360 wrote: Polanco is batting .320 with 4 HR's and 4 SB for the Toronto farm club!  But at least we have Cole Tucker.

For the FARM CLUB!?! Is that the best you can do? HAHAHAHA
Surgnbuck

The Departed

Post by Surgnbuck »

243F32333A3639570 wrote: Polanco is batting .320 with 4 HR's and 4 SB for the Toronto farm club!  But at least we have Cole Tucker.
We only score major leaguers in the departed thread ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

312A27262F232C420 wrote: Polanco is batting .320 with 4 HR's and 4 SB for the Toronto farm club!  But at least we have Cole Tucker.
Hoy Park hit .327 with 10 HRs and 8 SBs for the AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders before the Yankees traded him to the Pirates.

I'm almost tempted to believe there's a significant difference between AAA and MLB pitching.

But what really puzzles me is, since the Pirates only got rid of Polanco to dump his salary, why didn't the Blue Jays put him on their MLB roster since money was not the issue. They would only be paying him the MLB minimum prorated over the last month (now down to just 2 weeks) of the season?
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Departed

624F42535445521211200 wrote: Polanco is batting .320 with 4 HR's and 4 SB for the Toronto farm club!  But at least we have Cole Tucker.
Hoy Park hit .327 with 10 HRs and 8 SBs for the AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders before the Yankees traded him to the Pirates.

I'm almost tempted to believe there's a significant difference between AAA and MLB pitching.

But what really puzzles me is, since the Pirates only got rid of Polanco to dump his salary, [highlight]why didn't the Blue Jays put him on their MLB roster[/highlight] since money was not the issue. They would only be paying him the MLB minimum prorated over the last month (now down to just 2 weeks) of the season?

It may have to do with your aforementioned difference between AAA and major league pitching, which Polanco is proving to be true.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

6C3A2C38372D3D363B2C1E39333F3732703D5E0 wrote: Polanco is batting .320 with 4 HR's and 4 SB for the Toronto farm club!  But at least we have Cole Tucker.

But what really puzzles me is, since the Pirates only got rid of Polanco to dump his salary, [highlight]why didn't the Blue Jays put him on their MLB roster[/highlight] since money was not the issue. They would only be paying him the MLB minimum prorated over the last month (now down to just 2 weeks) of the season?

It may have to do with your aforementioned difference between AAA and major league pitching, which Polanco is proving to be true.
Or it could be releasing Polanco was not merely the salary dump that a certain OBN poster insisted it was. ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Departed

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: Polanco is batting .320 with 4 HR's and 4 SB for the Toronto farm club!  But at least we have Cole Tucker.

Or it could be releasing Polanco was not merely the salary dump that a certain OBN poster insisted it was.  ;)

No, it's always a salary dump. And in those cases when you think it isn't, it is. ::)
Surgnbuck

The Departed

Post by Surgnbuck »

Drew Maggi is called up to the Twins after 11 years in the minors. He was the Pirates 15th round draft choice in 2010.