Bryan Reynolds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Bryan Reynolds

Post by mouse »

When does his six year arb situation end? I thought that was 2025. It's not much of an extension if it doesn't add years to his deal with the Pirates.
Bobster21

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Bobster21 »

787A606670150 wrote: When does his six year arb situation end? I thought that was 2025. It's not much of an extension if it doesn't add years to his deal with the Pirates.
That's the issue. They can keep him thru 2025 via arbitration. An opt out clause after 2026 only assures the Pirates of keeping him 1 additional year. And if that's what Reynolds insists on, then he likely wants to leave ASAP after getting a big payday for 2023 thru 2026. That's a bad deal for the Pirates, who would be paying a lot of money just to keep him 1 more year beyond 2025.

I have thought all along that Reynolds wants out of this organization. He asked for a salary that would be out of character for the organization. But now that they are willing to pay him, he wants something else that they ate unlikely to agree to. I wonder if he and his agent are bargaining in good faith.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

I didn't want to come out and say it, Ster, and you can guess why, but I still have that uneasy feeling. I wouldn't know his reasons. I just have that feeling...
SammyKhalifa

Bryan Reynolds

Post by SammyKhalifa »

251007070C3507070C0B07620 wrote: Word is that he wants an opt out clause (player only option) after '25.  If that's the case I don't blame the Pirates at all for not wanting that. 

I admire Reynolds for wanting it.  I would, too.

It places value on the organization to continually improve.  History is a fact, and this FO has history.

Failure to agree sends a message to Reynolds, to his teammates, and to everyone here.

So you admire him for wanting more money for no reason while giving up next to nothing.  I mean, I guess. 

Take off the fandom hat for a minute.  What if this was some other team's deal?  There's no "message" here.  He plays here through his arb years at a bigger salary thaqn guys normally get.  If he hits like a star he'll parachute out of the deal and get more.  If he hits .150 or blows up his knee he gets free money for several more years.  There's no benefit for the team here. 

Now a mutual option?  That makes the statement you want to think this offer does and is probably where this should eventually land.   
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

One at a time...

So you admire him for wanting more money for no reason while giving up next to nothing.  I mean, I guess. 

I admire the player for requesting an opt out clause, yes.  If I was a Pirates player of his ability, I would, also.  No question.  This group cannot be trusted (by people like me.) 

He gave up over $25 million in the reported original asking price, so I would say that was giving up something.

Take off the fandom hat for a minute.  What if this was some other team's deal? 

Take "Pirates" out of the discussion and, insert the name of an equally incompetent group who has proven to not invest very much toward veteran talent retention and acquisition over some 20 years?  I will give you my same reply as I've given to the Reynolds/Pirates issue here.  No difference.

I've never once had an issue with opt out clauses, whether from player, from team, or from both.  It's a part of today's game, and I accept it.

There's no "message" here.  He plays here through his arb years at a bigger salary thaqn guys normally get.  If he hits like a star he'll parachute out of the deal and get more.  If he hits .150 or blows up his knee he gets free money for several more years.  There's no benefit for the team here. 

The message I get from Reynolds seeking the opt out clause is that he wants some reassurances that the ownership group will come through with future investments in overall team talent.  There could be some additional things that a player wants to see.  That's a message of some kind, I think.

Now a mutual option?  That makes the statement you want to think this offer does and is probably where this should eventually land.   

No article I've read mentioned anything about either side seeking a mutual option, so I felt no need to comment on it. 

That, and the Pirates have the ability to trade Reynolds at any time. They have insurance to cover player injuries.  Those three reasons are why I didn't bring "mutual" up.

I'll toss in- had the Pirates sought an opt out clause, I would have no issue with it, as per above. 
JollyRoger

Bryan Reynolds

Post by JollyRoger »

With Reynolds incredibly hot start, the Bucs better sign him before the home opener or his value will start going through the stratosphere!
WildwoodDave2

Bryan Reynolds

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

What is amazing to me is that MLB on their daily list of topics, they had surprises for the first week of the season. Reynolds is leading the majors in home runs but wasn't mentioned. Guess that is not a surprise. >:(
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

604546465378454D4F582A0 wrote: With Reynolds incredibly hot start, the Bucs better sign him before the home opener or his value will start going through the stratosphere!
I am probably dreaming, but the way Reynolds has played during this past week I wonder if both sides have an agreement in place. He is playing as if he has no distractions. I am still wondering if there will be some announcement of an extension either tomorrow,or over this weekend.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It has been well documented that it is about 6 weeks since the last home run from Reynolds, but upon comparing some of his stats from 2022 , he is only 4 doubles away from the total amount of doubles he hit during the entire 2022 season.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

Personally, I think we have bigger fish to fry than Reynolds' HRs. I see his stats and think that the only one that seems off a bit at the quarter pole is the HRs.

I see other starters who would just love to have his numbers. I'm in a good mood & want to stay that way, so I won't name any.