Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

3pirates3

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by 3pirates3 »

Doc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:26 am
I wonder why they list him as a relief pitcher/first baseman when he’s only had two plate appearances in his pro career since 2016? Maybe he’s going to be our Ohtani.
I noticed that too, strange.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Royals are close to signing Lugo. He is no longer a possibility for the Pirates. I hope they do something soon regarding their starting pitching situation. It appears to be a three year deal in the neighborhood of $45 million. These salaries may be too high for the Pirates to sign a starting pitcher.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:13 pm The Royals are close to signing Lugo. He is no longer a possibility for the Pirates. I hope they do something soon regarding their starting pitching situation. It appears to be a three year deal in the neighborhood of $45 million. These salaries may be too high for the Pirates to sign a starting pitcher.
I'd argue that the salaries are not too high, fjk. It's that the Pirates ownership chooses not to spend that much. Pirates fans have to stop believing that the franchise is poor and can't make these kinds of signings. They can easily afford a $15 million/year contract. They could sign Cody Bellinger and maybe barely exceed a $100 million payroll. If the Pirates spent enough time trying to build a winning ball club, and less time convincing the fan base that they have no money, we'd have a real team to root for.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:24 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:13 pm The Royals are close to signing Lugo. He is no longer a possibility for the Pirates. I hope they do something soon regarding their starting pitching situation. It appears to be a three year deal in the neighborhood of $45 million. These salaries may be too high for the Pirates to sign a starting pitcher.
I'd argue that the salaries are not too high, fjk. It's that the Pirates ownership chooses not to spend that much. Pirates fans have to stop believing that the franchise is poor and can't make these kinds of signings. They can easily afford a $15 million/year contract. They could sign Cody Bellinger and maybe barely exceed a $100 million payroll. If the Pirates spent enough time trying to build a winning ball club, and less time convincing the fan base that they have no money, we'd have a real team to root for.
You are correct Doc. I wish they would stop sitting on their hands, and announce a MLB player contract. They know they need pitching, and at least a platoon at first base, and as each day passes by they lose a player who would help them compete. It has become frustrating being a long time Pirate fan.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:10 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:24 pm
You are correct Doc. I wish they would stop sitting on their hands, and announce a MLB player contract. They know they need pitching, and at least a platoon at first base, and as each day passes by they lose a player who would help them compete. It has become frustrating being a long time Pirate fan.
I’ve largely been supportive of Cherington since his arrival. He’s been rebuilding the organization in general, and the major league team in particular, from the ground up. He’s now had a handful of drafts, players who will serve as the core of the team, as they do for almost all organizations. But, for me, my patience is wearing thin and it’s time to see action.

Because now the heavy lifting must begin, the time when the owner needs to loosen the purse strings in order to fill gaps and take the team to a competitive level. We’ve been told that’s what will happen. And frankly, this is the year that it should happen. The young players will be under team control over the next several years. Now is the time to bring in proven veterans to lead the way. But instead, while we’ve seen some minor acquisitions, there’ve been no aggressive moves in the free agency market.

The Pirates need to be out front, showing players and agents they’re serious, especially at the very beginning, when most of the players are still available. Opportunities are being lost. Sadly, as in the past, the Pirates won’t be active until the end, when only the questionable players remain. It’d be easy to blame BC for not signing free agents but, if he’s given little money to do it, then it really doesn’t matter who sits in the GM chair.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Doc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:32 pm
I’ve largely been supportive of Cherington since his arrival. He’s been rebuilding the organization in general, and the major league team in particular, from the ground up. He’s now had a handful of drafts, players who will serve as the core of the team, as they do for almost all organizations. But, for me, my patience is wearing thin and it’s time to see action.

Because now the heavy lifting must begin, the time when the owner needs to loosen the purse strings in order to fill gaps and take the team to a competitive level. We’ve been told that’s what will happen. And frankly, this is the year that it should happen. The young players will be under team control over the next several years. Now is the time to bring in proven veterans to lead the way. But instead, while we’ve seen some minor acquisitions, there’ve been no aggressive moves in the free agency market.

The Pirates need to be out front, showing players and agents they’re serious, especially at the very beginning, when most of the players are still available. Opportunities are being lost. Sadly, as in the past, the Pirates won’t be active until the end, when only the questionable players remain. It’d be easy to blame BC for not signing free agents but, if he’s given little money to do it, then it really doesn’t matter who sits in the GM chair.
You're right on all those points, Doc. Cherington can't force Nutting to spend money. We've seen what happens when previous GM's tried that (Archer, M. Morris) and soon found themselves on the unemployment line. We've heard the old lines of spending when the time is right or following the model of other markets (until they start spending and go on the FO's naughty list). We've heard the big "wait and see" boasts at the beginning of each offseason followed by the "time to move on"/"talk baseball" lectures at the end of the same. We've seen fringe players being given guaranteed major league contracts in exchange for telling "the guys in the room" (Gomez) or "the whole city of Pittsburgh" (Donnelly) how great the FO is.

"If the Pirates worried half as much about winning as public perception then they wouldn't have to worry about public perception." - Perrotto
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:10 pm
You are correct Doc. I wish they would stop sitting on their hands, and announce a MLB player contract. They know they need pitching, and at least a platoon at first base
They picked up a 1B for you.

https://twitter.com/JMackeyPG/status/17 ... 0201292177

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ro01.shtml
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

Pirates get Rowdy sign Tellez to a 1 year 3 Million dollar contract.
Just another budget signing that probably does not improve the team or move the needle
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

JollyRoger8 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:29 am Pirates get Rowdy sign Tellez to a 1 year 3 Million dollar contract.
Just another budget signing that probably does not improve the team or move the needle
I think this signing does improve the team. He was hurt last season, but in 2022 he hit over 30 homers. He is a lefty hitter, and I can see him hitting several home runs at PNC Park. Possible Lineup:
Cruz ss
Reynolds lf
Cutch DH
Tellez 1b
Hayes 3b
Suwinski cf
Endy c
Davis rf
Peguero 2b

I am assuming Cutch resigns, Davis is the right fielder most days, and Peguero becomes the full time second baseman. This lineup has some length, with the possibility of at least 5 players to hit at least 20 homers per year.