The Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

The Roster

Post by Surgnbuck »

That's six outfielders on the roster now, without counting Cutch. I know Joe spells Santana at first, and Bae can play 2nd or SS, but he's an error machine like Castro.

Pirates roster right now has only 12 pitchers, is Shelton okay with that? It looks like Ortiz is here to stay. Pirates were just doing a story on their site about Mlodzinski pitching from the bullpen now.

I wonder if Zastryzny ends up getting moved to the 60 day. His last injury update he was throwing from 100-105 feet, but that was last updated April 27th according to the Pirates site.

He was put on the 15 day IL on April 16th, so he's easily going to hit 30 days on the IL next week. He still has to throw off the mound, simulated games, then a rehab stint. Maybe they figure give it another month and a week. That would clear a spot on the 40 man for Mlodzinski.

Or, maybe they're going to go with a 12 man pitching staff. If that's the case, then why not a third catcher who plays another position, like say, Endy Rodriguez instead of another OF?

Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

I expect Andujar to be optioned now that they have Palacios and only 12 pitchers.

Mathias, Andujar, Owings and Palacios were all recalled after getting hot at Indy. The problem is the Pirates seem to do this as a reward but don't have a plan for using them. They recalled Owings because they need consistency at SS. But Owings is on the bench tonight while Marcano gets another start at SS. If Marcano is a serious candidate for SS, what is Owings' role? They had to know Mathias was slow and had no range. He hit fairly well while here but they had no use for him. Andujar seems to have no role, especially with Palacios being recalled. But what will be the role of Palacios with Reynolds, Suwinski, Joe and Cutch and, at least for the moment, Andujar? Seems like whoever gets hot at Indy gets to have a short stay on the MLB roster with no defined role.
IABucFan

The Roster

Post by IABucFan »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: I expect Andujar to be optioned now that they have Palacios and only 12 pitchers.

Mathias, Andujar, Owings and Palacios were all recalled after getting hot at Indy. The problem is the Pirates seem to do this as a reward but don't have a plan for using them. They recalled Owings because they need consistency at SS. But Owings is on the bench tonight while Marcano gets another start at SS. If Marcano is a serious candidate for SS, what is Owings' role? They had to know Mathias was slow and had no range. He hit fairly well while here but they had no use for him. Andujar seems to have no role, especially with Palacios being recalled. But what will be the role of Palacios with Reynolds, Suwinski, Joe and Cutch and, at least for the moment, Andujar? Seems like whoever gets hot at Indy gets to have a short stay on the MLB roster with no defined role.

Mathias didn't really hit all that well, IMO. Take away one game where he went 4-5, he was 7-35, a .200 average. He did draw a few walks, but only had two XBHs.

Offensively, I think they can kind of cover for Cruz being injured. But where losing him really hurts is on defense. He's not a great defensive SS, but from what I've seen, he can at least be serviceable there. Plus, it keeps Castro at second where he's decent, and Bae on the bench where I think he's best suited. And I mean that in the best sense. He can pinch hit and, perhaps more importantly, pinch run if needed.
fjk090852-7

The Roster

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Lefty Rob Z is back on the roster, and Andujar has been designated for assignment.
Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

505C5D060F060E03041B01360 wrote: Lefty Rob Z is back on the roster, and Andujar has been designated for assignment.
That's one less lineup change available to Shelton. He needs to be protected from himself.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Roster

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

It’s too bad about Andujar. I had hopes that when he got away from the Yankees he’d find his way back to that productive season he had a few years ago. As it is, the team won’t miss him.
DemDog

The Roster

Post by DemDog »

I share your feelings about Andujar Doc. It's a shame that he could not continue on the path of greatness even if it was with the Yankees.
Ecbucs

The Roster

Post by Ecbucs »

376177636C76666D6077456268646C692B66050 wrote: It’s too bad about Andujar.  I had hopes that when he got away from the Yankees he’d find his way back to that productive season he had a few years ago.  As it is, the team won’t miss him.

Josh Palcios breathes a sigh of relief.
fjk090852-7

The Roster

Post by fjk090852-7 »

022425322434470 wrote: It’s too bad about Andujar.  I had hopes that when he got away from the Yankees he’d find his way back to that productive season he had a few years ago.  As it is, the team won’t miss him.

The roster is now at 39 players so he might want to be looking over his shoulder.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Roster

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6E48495E48582B0 wrote: It’s too bad about Andujar.  I had hopes that when he got away from the Yankees he’d find his way back to that productive season he had a few years ago.  As it is, the team won’t miss him.

;D