The year of PLayoff and Wild Card berths

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

The year of PLayoff and Wild Card berths

Post by Ecbucs »

5C416567690C0 wrote: Here’s what Adam Wainwright said about Buehler on Twitter:

“I guarantee that anybody who played against or saw @buehlersdayoff pitch this season isn’t surprised at all by how he’s pitching tonight.  Hands down best stuff I saw in person all year from a starting pitcher.  Nasty.  #WorldSeries2018”

This guy should be in our rotation. How did we not sign this guy? I have to admit, when we drafted him, I said to myself, “Self, anybody with the name 'Buehler,' can’t be that great. No big deal.” Wow was I ever wrong.

We sign the Newmans and Kramers of the world while letting Trey Turner walk away. And we sign all sorts of pitchers, dozens even, and let a guy like this walk. I’m ticked tonight.

Ok, so I don't necessarily disagree.  I went back and looked at the PP coverage from back then.  It wasn't like he was a slam dunk prospect in 2012.  He was out of HS as a righty and throwing 90-94.  He was projected as a mid 2nd round guy with sign ability issues and a strong commitment to Vandy.  He fell through because of Boras/Appel wanting a ton of money...and then didn't sign.

But Buehler didn't sign until the 15th round.  Everyone else passed on him 12+ times because they thought he wouldn't sign and/or didn't see it in him.

Here's the thing.  I never get caught up in a kid saying he is a strong commitment to (insert your stud college program).  It wouldn't disuade me from picking him.  Josh Bell was a strong verbal to Texas, right?

Completely agree.  It looks like he was asking for about $1million out of HS.  In hindsight, the Pirates should have saved every penny elsewhere to make that happen.  However, I think they were hamstrung waiting for the Appel shoe to drop.  Unfortunately, it sounds like Appel waiting so long screwed over their shot at Buehler.

for some of these guys they may only be worth 500k compared to to other high school players. Yet they want a million or more to sign. That is part of the risk factor. Maybe 50% of those that want the million are worth it. I don't know for sure how Buelher compared to others in the draft to make a comparison. In hindsight he was worth more than most. But who knows how much was gained by his college experience.