MLB Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

MLB Draft

Post by MaineBucs »

I know much less about the draft than many on this Board, but I am surprised that only 3 of the players the Pirates drafted are High School players, and 1 from JuCo. 17 of the 21 draft picks were college seniors.

In short, I don't see much risk taking by the Pirates or trying to chase players who would require overslot money. I sure hope that this approach didn't involve trying to save money on the total draft pool. The Bucs had the largest draft pool this year, but if they become successful, which management states is the goal, they will never have that opportunity again.

Ecbucs

MLB Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

032F27202B0C3B2D3D4E0 wrote: I know much less about the draft than many on this Board, but I am surprised that only 3 of the players the Pirates drafted are High School players, and 1 from JuCo.  17 of the 21 draft picks were college seniors. 

In short, I don't see much risk taking by the Pirates or trying to chase players who would require overslot money.  I sure hope that this approach didn't involve trying to save money on the total draft pool.  The Bucs had the largest draft pool this year, but if they become successful, which management states is the goal, they will never have that opportunity again.

some of these college seniors are because of covid I believe.
steve49

MLB Draft

Post by steve49 »

Seems to me a very bad draft after the first 3 picks. But what do I know ? I guess I just can't get excited about a slew of college pitchers with high ERAs.
3pirates3

MLB Draft

Post by 3pirates3 »

ChillinStation

MLB Draft

Post by ChillinStation »

The HS 1b slugger Cuvet looks interesting. Need to throw some cash at him. ;)
IABucFan

MLB Draft

Post by IABucFan »

I read that this year’s draft was weird because of COVID. The 2020 draft was only five rounds, so lots of guys went the college route and are now draft eligible. NIL money also seems to impact kids and make it more difficult to lure them away from college.

College baseball still isn’t on the level of basketball and still less football in terms of popularity. But it’s getting better. More and more games are on TV. NIL money is available. The landscape of college baseball, and hence the draft, has changed a lot over the last five years.
IABucFan

MLB Draft

Post by IABucFan »

I know literally nothing of the Bucs draft. Never heard of any of these guys outside of Skenes. Hopefully, he wins a few CYs and MVPs for the Pirates. If that happens, this draft is a success, independent of whatever the other players do.
ChillinStation

MLB Draft

Post by ChillinStation »

Too many rounds, they should stop at 7 and just let the rest be FA. I really think everyone should be a free agent. Must suck being told where you can work.
3pirates3

MLB Draft

Post by 3pirates3 »

Ecbucs

MLB Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

1D5E475C4F5A4B5D1D2E0 wrote: https://www.mlb.com/news/teams-with-bes ... -mlb-draft

we won't know for a couple years but I think the Pirates went for arms. Almost all are college arms and they showed they have the stuff to be suscessfull in the majors. It is now up to the Bucs coaches to make some of these players into major league pitchers.

In some ways I like the strategy. We don't really care about your results in college, we think you showed you have the stuff to be a major league pitcher and we are going to show you how to do it.