The Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

14574E554653425414270 wrote: "We have selected RHP Cody Bolton from Triple-A Indianapolis, and activated OF Bryan Reynolds from the Bereavement List.

We have also placed RHP Wil Crowe on the 15-day Injured List (retro to April 23), and optioned OF Canaan Smith-Njigba to Triple-A Indianapolis.

To make room on the 40-man roster, we have designated C Tyler Heineman for assignment." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1651343334122610688
Maggi stays?
3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

"We have selected the contract of OF Miguel Andujar from AAA Indianapolis and optioned INF Drew Maggi to AA Altoona.

To make room on the 40 man roster, RHP Wil Crowe was transferred to the 60 Day IL (still retro to 4/23).

In addition, Maggi has been appointed as the 27th man for today’s doubleheader and will be active for both games." -Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1652309471018844161
3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

"We have selected INF Chris Owings from Triple-A Indianapolis, and have optioned INF Mark Mathias to Triple-A Indianapolis.

Additionally, RHP Luis Ortiz was added to the Taxi Squad." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1655641879369637894
Surgnbuck

The Roster

Post by Surgnbuck »

It was painful watching Mathias. He has no place in the majors as a second baseman with the shift ban. He has no range or quickness.

His only way to play is to hit. He hasn't done that either.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Roster

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

567077626B6770666E050 wrote: It was painful watching Mathias. He has no place in the majors as a second baseman with the shift ban. He has no range or quickness.

I think Mathias was here for the same reason VanMeter was, and that was both had some MLB experience, little as it might be for Mathias. With Nick Gonzales not being ready yet (his injuries really set I’m back), and both Castillo and Castro not being dependable, the club needed someone who could provide at least adequate help. VanMeter and Mathias weren’t up to the task.

Next up is Owings. If he can perform better until Gonzales can get himself up to speed, that’ll be an improvement.
Ecbucs

The Roster

Post by Ecbucs »

7E283E2A253F2F24293E0C2B212D2520622F4C0 wrote: It was painful watching Mathias. He has no place in the majors as a second baseman with the shift ban. He has no range or quickness.

I think Mathias was here for the same reason VanMeter was, and that was both had some MLB experience, little as it might be for Mathias.  With Nick Gonzales not being ready yet (his injuries really set I’m back), and both Castillo and Castro not being dependable, the club needed someone who could provide at least adequate help.  VanMeter and Mathias weren’t up to the task. 

Next up is Owings.  If he can perform better until Gonzales can get himself up to speed, that’ll be an improvement.

after his first couple of games I thought Mathias had done okay, perhaps not good enough defensively though. I think the issue is that Owings is b a lot better defensively at short.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Roster

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1B3D3C2B3D2D5E0 wrote: It was painful watching Mathias. He has no place in the majors as a second baseman with the shift ban. He has no range or quickness.

I think Mathias was here for the same reason VanMeter was, and that was both had some MLB experience, little as it might be for Mathias.  With Nick Gonzales not being ready yet (his injuries really set I’m back), and both Castillo and Castro not being dependable, the club needed someone who could provide at least adequate help.  VanMeter and Mathias weren’t up to the task. 

Next up is Owings.  If he can perform better until Gonzales can get himself up to speed, that’ll be an improvement.

after his first couple of games I thought Mathias had done okay, perhaps not good enough defensively though.  I think the issue is that Owings is b a lot better defensively at short.

Agreed. Owings isn't here to play second base.  The team needs a trustworthy shortstop because, whoever plays there, he has to be able catch and throw the ball foremost, and Castro has proven he's not reliable enough doing either. 
3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

"Sources: Pirates selecting Josh Palacios. Has been raking at Triple-A. Chase De Jong DFA'd. More to come." - Mackey

https://twitter.com/JMackeyPG/status/16 ... 3150362629
Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

Bolton optioned to Indy.
Surgnbuck

The Roster

Post by Surgnbuck »

Luis Ortiz recalled.