What would another GM do?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7C41465C4146280 wrote: Did the Union and Commissioner's office just tell Perotto or did they tell others too?  It would seem to be a good story. If someone who reports it that I give credibility to, I will listen.

You would also think this would be a national story and reported on major networks. I doubt this info would be given to some blogger or even a small newspaper like the Beaver County Times.

But saying "I was told the league is mad at Nutting for hording revenue", isn't journalism.  It's middle school reporting.

Get a source that will speak on the record or don't report and write it. 

Dude was fired by the Pirates and has a beef against them.  See how easy it is making opinions into facts?

I can see why the Pirates fired him. He wasn't willing to just write propaganda about the team. Lots of political and sports reporting doesn't include sources (see Peter Gammons, Stark, etc).
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

496F6E796F7F0C0 wrote: Did the Union and Commissioner's office just tell Perotto or did they tell others too?  It would seem to be a good story. If someone who reports it that I give credibility to, I will listen.

You would also think this would be a national story and reported on major networks. I doubt this info would be given to some blogger or even a small newspaper like the Beaver County Times.

But saying "I was told the league is mad at Nutting for hording revenue", isn't journalism.  It's middle school reporting.

Dude was fired by the Pirates and has a beef against them.  See how easy it is making opinions into facts?

I can see why the Pirates fired him.  He wasn't willing to just write propaganda about the team.    Lots of political and sports reporting doesn't include sources (see Peter Gammons, Stark, etc).

Reasonably so, though.   No doubt any media person working FOR the Pirates is and should be an unfair "reporter".   If they aren't going to follow the company talking points, they will be out of a job (rightly imo).

The board here collectively hates Dejan and Peretto because they're too critical.   I don't think they're more right than anyone else, but they've been in front of a couple of big (negative) stories over the past couple years... and were lampooned each step of the way.

There's an avalanche of pro-FO writing out there to consume.   So good.   

When Forbes values my team at 17th in baseball and the owner just continues to wallow in the bottom 5 in payroll year after year, unwilling to break 100m when we should be running at 120+.... I've got a freaking axe to grind too.   

PMike

Post by PMike »

424B43525C260 wrote: Did the Union and Commissioner's office just tell Perotto or did they tell others too?  It would seem to be a good story. If someone who reports it that I give credibility to, I will listen.

I can see why the Pirates fired him.  He wasn't willing to just write propaganda about the team.    Lots of political and sports reporting doesn't include sources (see Peter Gammons, Stark, etc).

Reasonably so, though.   No doubt any media person working FOR the Pirates is and should be an unfair "reporter".   If they aren't going to follow the company talking points, they will be out of a job (rightly imo).

The board here collectively hates Dejan and Peretto because they're too critical.   I don't think they're more right than anyone else, but they've been in front of a couple of big (negative) stories over the past couple years... and were lampooned each step of the way.

There's an avalanche of pro-FO writing out there to consume.   So good.   

When Forbes values my team at 17th in baseball and the owner just continues to wallow in the bottom 5 in payroll year after year, unwilling to break 100m when we should be running at 120+.... I've got a freaking axe to grind too.   

Your last point is a good one. I think everyone here agrees. I get tired of that point being made incessantly in every thread.

To your earlier point about Dejan and Perotto. I don't think everyone hates them. Far from it. I think they are evaluated quite differently.

Perotto seems to have some issue with the Pirates. It's not hard to feel an overwhelmingly bad vibe about the Pirates from him. When a journalist doesn't come close to capturing the fullness of a topic they cover, that will make people lose respect for the writer. I think that's Perotto's issue.

Dejan, OTOH, seems much more balanced and I actually think he does a fair job. He did write a couple of really bad, axe-to-grind type pieces. For some people, I think they discounted him forever for those couple pieces. Personally, I think he was mad at the time and that's how he responded. I also think journalists have to write SO MUCH stuff, that inevitably, they are going to do some real crap. There needs to be space in the wide repertoire for a journalist to miss badly once in awhile.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

It is one thing to report and another to add your opinion. Reporting with sources in hand, will open people's eyes and make you more credible.

Perotto claimed his replacements were "spies" for the Pirates Ownership in the press box. He tweeted or blogged that and left it with no follow up. He doesn't even use his own name as a Twitter handle.

Perotto also personally emailed and attacked many at the Beaver County Times because they didn't want to buy all of his free lanced articles. Sorry, I do not have any respect for that man.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

7F42455F42452B0 wrote:   See how easy it is making opinions into facts?

There's a website dedicated to Pirate prospects completely based on this.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

6F646C6065647F3A3C4B726A6364642568640B0 wrote: It is one thing to report and another to add your opinion.  Reporting with sources in hand, will open people's eyes and make you more credible. 

Perotto claimed his replacements were "spies" for the Pirates Ownership in the press box.  He tweeted or blogged that and left it with no follow up.  He doesn't even use his own name as a Twitter handle.

Perotto also personally emailed and attacked many at the Beaver County Times because they didn't want to buy all of his free lanced articles.  Sorry, I do not have any respect for that man.

What about Dejan?
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Unfortunately for the Pirates, there is a lot of smoke surrounding the question of their own integrity. To blow off Perotto regarding the MLB quote is to call him a liar, something I'm not willing to do without a solid reason. That's not to say I believe him, it says that I don't know the truth and I can freely admit there is indeed enough smoke on the Pirate's side that could point to Perotto telling the truth. Or not. But I'm not going to proclaim him a liar about his MLB quote.

I just think that type of thinking is very dangerous in general. And very often it's flat out unfair.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

474E465759230 wrote: It is one thing to report and another to add your opinion.  Reporting with sources in hand, will open people's eyes and make you more credible. 

Perotto claimed his replacements were "spies" for the Pirates Ownership in the press box.  He tweeted or blogged that and left it with no follow up.  He doesn't even use his own name as a Twitter handle.

Perotto also personally emailed and attacked many at the Beaver County Times because they didn't want to buy all of his free lanced articles.  Sorry, I do not have any respect for that man.

What about Dejan?

Dejan was good when he first started covering the Pirates. He got too big headed and became too much of a know-it-all for me. That was also the time I stopped reading the paper in general (lost access at work). He is a now a big baby as he blocks everyone on Twitter who disagrees with him. First, he rips on you personally, then blocks you so you can't reply. I do think he is doing quite well with his own page money wise.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I had the sense he didn't want to cover the Pirates. He wanted to cover hockey. That and do travel pieces. His column got to be a little Pirates and a long description of the places he visited. I stopped reading before he got to the point of abusing people who disagreed with him, but I recall complaints about that.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

2E252D2124253E7B7D0A332B2225256429254A0 wrote: It is one thing to report and another to add your opinion.  Reporting with sources in hand, will open people's eyes and make you more credible. 

What about Dejan?

Dejan was good when he first started covering the Pirates.  He got too big headed and became too much of a know-it-all for me.  That was also the time I stopped reading the paper in general (lost access at work).  He is a now a big baby as he blocks everyone on Twitter who disagrees with him. First, he rips on you personally, then blocks you so you can't reply.  I do think he is doing quite well with his own page money wise.   

OK so Peretto is out, Dejan is out. Who do you like reporting wise that's not on the Pirates payroll or might as well be?