Let the rumor mill begin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I know one thing: I’d sure like to have DeGrom available to pitch a WildCard Game. And to get multiple starts in a longer series.

I would trade Meadows and Keller for 2 1/2 years of DeGrom.

But only if they also extend Dickerson.

Polanco + Marte + Dickerson + DeGrom = what in 2019? 2020?

2019 = maybe $50M-$55M?

2020 = maybe $65M?

If they sneak into the Playoffs this year they could be a surprise team. And they would have a three year window.
Ecbucs

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Ecbucs »

6562747C7265222E57707A767E7B3974787A170 wrote: I know one thing: I’d sure like to have DeGrom available to pitch a WildCard Game.  And to get multiple starts in a longer series.

Polanco + Marte + Dickerson + DeGrom = what in 2019?  2020?

2019 = maybe $50M-$55M?

2020 = maybe $65M?

If they sneak into the Playoffs this year they could be a surprise team.  And they would have a three year window.

I would make that deal too.
SCBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SCBucco »

6463757D7364232F56717B777F7A3875797B160 wrote: I know one thing: I’d sure like to have DeGrom available to pitch a WildCard Game.  And to get multiple starts in a longer series.

2019 = maybe $50M-$55M?

2020 = maybe $65M?

If they sneak into the Playoffs this year they could be a surprise team.  And they would have a three year window.

If the Mets are smart, they would be asking for much more than Meadows and Keller.

If the Pirates are looking to add a starter that might not cost a lot in return ... Mike Fiers; Dan Strailey or Sonny Gray.
Kovalwat

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Kovalwat »

Now that we re winning, we don't want to add players and upset the team chemistry.  However, if we start losing, we don't want to add players because we aren't ready to compete.
iabucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by iabucco »

5750464E4057101C654248444C490B464A48250 wrote: I know one thing: I’d sure like to have DeGrom available to pitch a WildCard Game.  And to get multiple starts in a longer series.

2019 = maybe $50M-$55M?

2020 = maybe $65M?

That is kind of what I was trying to get at with my meandering post. I think Keller, Meadows, Craig and maybe someone along the lines of a 20th rated prospect. Some of the contenders' farm systems are not stacked right now. Maybe a Glasnow could sweeten the pot.
pghpaulatl

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by pghpaulatl »

Since DeGrom will replace a current starter I'd offer Meadows, Craig, Keller and Nova.

However I think Happ will be the one they'll go after, it's not in NH's DNA to trade that many top prospects, in fact he may have a heart attack if a team even asked for that.
Quail

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Quail »

5242437462626E010 wrote: I know one thing: I’d sure like to have DeGrom available to pitch a WildCard Game.  And to get multiple starts in a longer series.

2019 = maybe $50M-$55M?

2020 = maybe $65M?

If the Mets are smart, they would be asking for much more than Meadows and Keller.

If the Pirates are looking to add a starter that might not cost a lot in return ... Mike Fiers; Dan Strailey or Sonny Gray.

I'd much prefer J.A. Happ, a top of the rotation lefty to any of those three righties. Don't think the difference in payment would be much.
SyrBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SyrBucco »

2621373F3126616D143339353D387A373B39540 wrote: I know one thing: I’d sure like to have DeGrom available to pitch a WildCard Game.  And to get multiple starts in a longer series.

2019 = maybe $50M-$55M?

2020 = maybe $65M?

I'm with you, VA!
MaineBucs

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by MaineBucs »

In thinking about DeGrom I offer the following.

First, DeGrom appears to be the type of top of rotation starter that the Pirates currently are missing. I recognize that such starters typically require a significant payment in talent.

Two, DeGrom currently is earning a reasonable $7.4 mil/year and has 2 full years of control remaining. Obviously, the next 2 years will cost quite a bit more than his current salary.

Three, the Mets don't really need to trade DeGrom unless they receive significant talent in return.

Four, with the exception of Nova, most of the Pirates starting rotation will continue to be 'cheap' next year, and the Bucs can try to move/not resign some players (Harrison, Mercer, Rodriguez, Freese for starters) to make it easier to pay DeGrom's higher salary.

Five, that said, I am really hesitant to trade Keller. I know he is the team's top rated prospect and is the type of top of the line talent that likely needs to be traded to try and land deGrom. And, I know that many Pirate prospect hurlers have failed to pitch up to their pedigrees in the majors. However, 'if' Keller develops, he could help to form a formidable starting staff for several years.

Six, I have no qualms in trading Meadows, Hayes, Tucker, Kramer, Baz or other top Pirate prospects for real talent. And while I recognize that the number of prospects does not make up for top tier talent, I suggest that the Bucs try the following:

4 of any prospects in the system not named Keller and either Williams or Glasnow from the major league staff.
skinnyhorse

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by skinnyhorse »

527E76717A5D6A7C6C1F0 wrote: In thinking about DeGrom I offer the following.

First, DeGrom appears to be the type of top of rotation starter that the Pirates currently are missing.  I recognize that such starters typically require a significant payment in talent.

Two, DeGrom currently is earning a reasonable $7.4 mil/year and has 2 full years of control remaining.  Obviously, the next 2 years will cost quite a bit more than his current salary.

Three, the Mets don't really need to trade DeGrom unless they receive significant talent in return.

Four, with the exception of Nova, most of the Pirates starting rotation will continue to be 'cheap' next year, and the Bucs can try to move/not resign some players (Harrison, Mercer, Rodriguez, Freese for starters) to make it easier to pay DeGrom's higher salary.

Five, that said, I am really hesitant to trade Keller.  I know he is the team's top rated prospect and is the type of top of the line talent that likely needs to be traded to try and land deGrom.  And, I know that many Pirate prospect hurlers have failed to pitch up to their pedigrees in the majors.  However, 'if' Keller develops, he could help to form a formidable starting staff for several years.

Six, I have no qualms in trading Meadows, Hayes, Tucker, Kramer, Baz or other top Pirate prospects for real talent.  And while I recognize that the number of prospects does not make up for top tier talent, I suggest that the Bucs try the following:

4 of any prospects in the system not named Keller and either Williams or Glasnow from the major league staff.   
I would give them Meadows, and Williams, and Nova and pay half his salary for DeGrom, that's would be reasonable for both clubs.