Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Spring Training Thread

Post by SyrBucco »

I watched yesterday while I was doing my taxes, so no doubt I missed some things. But one experiment I hope ends IMMEDIATELY is batting Dyson leadoff. He has the speed for that spot, but he's close to an automatic out at this point in his career.

Enjoy his defense, and bat him in the 7 or 8 spot.

This part added:

Just checked Kevin Newman's stats batting leadoff last year. He had a .374 On Base % and and an OPS of .875. Seems that this is one spot in the batting order that should be settled. Also, if memory serves, Newman took a lot of pitches last year, which has to be helpful to those batting behind him.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I know these are only ST games, but I hope they soon win a few consecutive games. So far the hitting has been very poor, and some of the pitchers who you would assume will make the Opening Day roster have not been very good. Williams has not pitched very well in either of his first two starts.
shedman

Spring Training Thread

Post by shedman »

The m.o. of this organization is to always kick the can down the road.  Right now, it is this is just spring training so kick the can down the road to the regular season.  When they start losing in the regular season, it will be - well it's early in the season, so kick the can down the road to later in the season.  When the losing continues into the season - it will be we are a young team with growing pains and gaining experience that will serve us well in the future - kick the can down the road to a vague future.  Trade deadline -, nothing done - it will be we are not close to competing so we will save our financial flexibility for that future again - kick the can down the road.  Next year's off season - We need to see what the kids can do before we add any FA - kick the can down the road to next year.  As a fan, it would be so refreshing to hear or see any move that will help the team right now instead of more  kicking the can down the road.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

504B46474E424D230 wrote: The m.o. of this organization is to always kick the can down the road.  Right now, it is this is just spring training so kick the can down the road to the regular season.  When they start losing in the regular season, it will be - well it's early in the season, so kick the can down the road to later in the season.  When the losing continues into the season - it will be we are a young team with growing pains and gaining experience that will serve us well in the future - kick the can down the road to a vague future.  Trade deadline -, nothing done - it will be we are not close to competing so we will save our financial flexibility for that future again - kick the can down the road.  Next year's off season - We need to see what the kids can do before we add any FA - kick the can down the road to next year.  As a fan, it would be so refreshing to hear or see any move that will help the team right now instead of more  kicking the can down the road.

If only the Pirates played in the KCL.
WildwoodDave

Spring Training Thread

Post by WildwoodDave »

And I have to be critical of DS. What will you be saying at the trade deadline?
maher.timothy20@gm

Spring Training Thread

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

534845444D414E200 wrote: The m.o. of this organization is to always kick the can down the road.  Right now, it is this is just spring training so kick the can down the road to the regular season.  When they start losing in the regular season, it will be - well it's early in the season, so kick the can down the road to later in the season.  When the losing continues into the season - it will be we are a young team with growing pains and gaining experience that will serve us well in the future - kick the can down the road to a vague future.  Trade deadline -, nothing done - it will be we are not close to competing so we will save our financial flexibility for that future again - kick the can down the road.  Next year's off season - We need to see what the kids can do before we add any FA - kick the can down the road to next year.  As a fan, it would be so refreshing to hear or see any move that will help the team right now instead of more  kicking the can down the road.

As I said in another thread, it's hard to get a grasp on what the plan is.

I'd be kind of okay with trading away a bunch of high priced vets for a ton of AA and A talent but so far we've dumped Marte for a hope and a prayer, and I don't see that we have enough vets to trade away to get much more. You really think we're going to load up on talent by trading Archer, Frazier, Polanco, etc? We'll get a bunch of bit pieces at best.

Fast forward to 2023 and we'll be looking at that year's version of guys like Newman, Reynolds, Bell, etc. and we'd still need to supplement them with some solid free agent veterans.

"We'll spend when the time is right," we're told. Okay, sure.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

303C35382F73293430322935246F6D1D3A305D0 wrote: The m.o. of this organization is to always kick the can down the road.  Right now, it is this is just spring training so kick the can down the road to the regular season.  When they start losing in the regular season, it will be - well it's early in the season, so kick the can down the road to later in the season.  When the losing continues into the season - it will be we are a young team with growing pains and gaining experience that will serve us well in the future - kick the can down the road to a vague future.  Trade deadline -, nothing done - it will be we are not close to competing so we will save our financial flexibility for that future again - kick the can down the road.  Next year's off season - We need to see what the kids can do before we add any FA - kick the can down the road to next year.  As a fan, it would be so refreshing to hear or see any move that will help the team right now instead of more  kicking the can down the road.

As I said in another thread, it's hard to get a grasp on what the plan is.

I'd be kind of okay with trading away a bunch of high priced vets for a ton of AA and A talent but so far we've dumped Marte for a hope and a prayer, and I don't see that we have enough vets to trade away to get much more. You really think we're going to load up on talent by trading Archer, Frazier, Polanco, etc? We'll get a bunch of bit pieces at best.

Fast forward to 2023 and we'll be looking at that year's version of guys like Newman, Reynolds, Bell, etc. and we'd still need to supplement them with some solid free agent veterans.

"We'll spend when the time is right," we're told. Okay, sure.

I agree, there's little to trade in order to get quality players back. The only way the Pirates going to become relevant again is through the draft and international signings. I hope Cherington and his scouts know what they're doing.
skinnyhorse

Spring Training Thread

Post by skinnyhorse »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: I am posting early today as the saga of losing continues. They are about to go down again and here is my impression of the game since they were televising it. I finally saw Polanco throw but I think he took something off of it because the guy doubled and he was trying to get the ball back in. At least I hope so because it did not have any mustard on it. John Ryan Murphy continues to impress with his bat as he homered for the second time with this one being a grand slam. Renolds had a lousy game as he lost a fly ball in the sun and his throw from right field later game would have been in time but it was so far off line that the guy was safe. Moran booted a throw from John Ryan and let a couple runs in. The pitching was bad except for Cinderland who came in with no outs and runners on base and got them out of the inning. His first pitch did go to the backstop but he settled right down.

So it looks to me like these guys are phoning it in and I have to be critical of DS . I know it is Spring Training but this is getting hard to watch already. JT Riddle and Cole Tucker seems to be the only guys with any excitement.
_______

Don't worry Lecom, they are rebuilding so in the year 2023 they will win a spring training game.

So far our new manager is disapointing to say the least.  Seems he doesn't seem to care how poorly the team is playing.  Losing becomes contagous, and hohum.  I'd like to see him a little more serious about these games.  It time to kick it in gear and get going Derek.
I don't think we can draw any conclusions from Shelton at this point. While it sucks to lose every pre-season game, there's little value in winning them anyway. He knows he's got crap to work with and wants to get enough of a look at everyone in camp even if it means giving less time to players who give the best chance to win. But that doesn't change the fact that he's got little talent to begin with so there's little margin for error even in Grapefruit League games. It's shaping up as a horrible season (thank you, Mr. Nutting) and pre-season results don't mean much. Shelton's pitchers don't pitch and his hitters don't hit. But we could look at the roster and see that coming. Nutting has pulled the rug out from under this franchise and no change of GMs or managers will compensate for that. Shelton could turn out to get the most out of a weak lineup or (IMHO) be like Hurdle and get even less out of them than they have to offer. Either way it will be a terrible, season but the verdict on Shelton has yet to be determined.
I Agree!

DemDog

Spring Training Thread

Post by DemDog »

Damn, the Bucs finally won a ST game.  Shutout the Twinkies 2-0.  Game just over and I have not seen any box score with details.  I guess they will follow later.

As The Gunner used to say:  We had 'em all the way!

Bucs vs Twinkies Box Score
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

1E3F371E353D5A0 wrote: Damn, the Bucs finally won a ST game.  Shutout the Twinkies 2-0.  Game just over and I have not seen any box score with details.  I guess they will follow later.

As The Gunner used to say:  We had 'em all the way!

Bucs vs Twinkies Box Score

Seven hits Possum and you are right no box score as of yet!!!!