Possible start to season in May-

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0920262A28450 wrote: I would be willing to accept any Division realignment, playoff structure, and even the DH in the National League in exchange for a strict enforcement of a salary floor in baseball.  There just has to be some way to get Nutting to pay up or get out!

We know he's not going to pay up.  He has to be run out of the game.  We as fans won't be able to do it.  The other owners have to force him out, which probably won't happen, a very rich person has to make him an offer he can't turn down, or he has to be involved in an unseemly scandal.  As long as he maintains ownership, it's unlikely this city will ever see a World Series again.

Yeah, it sounds like Mark Cuban did some due diligence on buying the team and walked away.

Cuban could definitely afford them, so I don't know what it would take for Nutting to walk away. If anything. Especially since the bulk of his wealth (newspapers) peaked last century.

I haven't read anything as to why Cuban declined to seriously pursue trying to obtain the Pirates.  Maybe he never said why.  But he's about as shrewd a businessman as there is.  I can't imagine him ever making a bad deal for himself.  I wonder if he got as far as talking with Nutting about a potential deal?  If so, and talks ended, I wonder what the price Nutting asked, or the price Cuban offered?

These are the reason Cuban has little interest in the Pirates as well as MLB IMO!   
No. For a few reasons,” Cuban wrote. “First is my kids are too much fun. I inquired when I was still single.

“Second, baseball is in a heap of hurt. It’s not just that attendance is falling, but rather they seem to fight any new idea that does not have a clock assigned to it. It’s a shame. Maybe gambling will bring in new fans. But right now, young kids are not interested in baseball unless their parents force them in that direction.”

Thanks, Lecom.  As to Cuban's second point, I understand why some people, especially younger ones, don't like baseball.  Compared to other sports, it looks like a sleepy game.  But for those of us who appreciate the pace and the decisions that are made in between pitches, it remains a wonderful game.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

79626F6E676B640A0 wrote: That's a matter of opinion.

What's fact is that he doesn't pay up on bets.  :)
-----
it's hard to believe that Wildwood is a welcher.

Depends on your definition.

He paid a small fraction. Very small.

One would think that he was a NYC real estate developer in his previous life.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Bad news for BOB. MLB just announced that players will be paid through May 31st!!!
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

BOB? You gotta be kidding. It's bad news for him if players would get paid throguh April 15. The man's TIGHT, I'm telling ya.
2drfischer@gmail.c

233835343D313E500 wrote: Bad news for BOB.  MLB just announced that players will be paid through May 31st!!!

But what wasn't announced was that he has the players working at his Wheeling mansion manicuring the grounds, and up at Seven Springs repairing the ski lifts.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

3E687E6A657F6F64697E4C6B616D6560226F0C0 wrote: Bad news for BOB.  MLB just announced that players will be paid through May 31st!!!

But what wasn't announced was that he has the players working at his Wheeling mansion manicuring the grounds, and up at Seven Springs repairing the ski lifts.
He has to get the grounds ready fo you and Shedman
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

4E70757D6E76767D5D786F7C190 wrote: Bad news for BOB.  MLB just announced that players will be paid through May 31st!!!

Wonder if Bob got his Stimulus Check?
2drfischer@gmail.c

7947424A5941414A6A4F584B2E0 wrote: Bad news for BOB.  MLB just announced that players will be paid through May 31st!!!

Even if Nutting let us play for free, there's no way we'd ever play golf at a course he owned. He'd charge us to drive out of the parking lot.
shedman

Post by shedman »

1D4B5D49465C4C474A5D6F48424E4643014C2F0 wrote: Bad news for BOB.  MLB just announced that players will be paid through May 31st!!!

Even if Nutting let us play for free, there's no way we'd ever play golf at a course he owned.  He'd charge us to drive out of the parking lot.
_____
I'll second that!
2drfischer@gmail.c

3E252829202C234D0 wrote: Bad news for BOB.  MLB just announced that players will be paid through May 31st!!!

Even if Nutting let us play for free, there's no way we'd ever play golf at a course he owned.  He'd charge us to drive out of the parking lot.
_____
I'll second that!

You and I have standards, low as they are.