Minor Leagues - 2023 Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7874752E272E262B2C33291E0 wrote: Cruz playing shortstop for Indy Indians tonight. Something interesting is that Bligh Madris is playing at first base. With the number of young outfielders in the Pirates system, they may think that Madris has an opportunity to play first base for the Pirates in the future.
Cruz las been playing SS. He occasionally gets a game in the OF but he primarily plays SS. So if they're getting him ready for something it's more likely SS than OF.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just looked at the stats for Matt Gorski who has played at Greensboro and now at Altoona this season. He is having a very good season, and since he is a right handed hitter that is in his favor for his future. Many of the young Pirate players are lefty hitters, so to balance the lineup in the future they need a couple right handed hitters which Gorski could be one of those players.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

7874752E272E262B2C33291E0 wrote: Just looked at the stats for Matt Gorski who has played at Greensboro and now at Altoona this season. He is having a very good season, and since he is a right handed hitter that is in his favor for his future. Many of the young Pirate players are lefty hitters, so to balance the lineup in the future they need a couple right handed hitters which Gorski could be one of those players.

You beat me to this (work gets in the way!). Gorski is having a great season: 22 HR, 15 SB, and hitting .290. I am sure he has the eye of management. He might be a candidate for a switch to first base.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... rd_batting
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Quite soon there will be more of the players on the opening day roster who are playing in Indianapolis than in Pittsburgh.

This season's transition to slew of the organization's minor league prospects has happened much more rapidly than I expected. Soon BC will need to decide how he is going to proceed when as many as 5 or 6 'veterans' are ready to come back from injury.

I hope that BC is shopping VanMeter, Tsutugo, Marisnick, Chang, and even Gamel and Newman hard to see if there are any takers. My guess is that only Gamel and Newman may warrant a low level prospect in return. But, the minor cash received from dealing any of others could off-set the cost of the team pursuing a player like Stroudt. The team now has suitable replacements on the current roster, and Marcano, Bae, and Swaggerty are just a phone call away.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5C70787F7453647262110 wrote: Quite soon there will be more of the players on the opening day roster who are playing in Indianapolis than in Pittsburgh.

This season's transition to slew of the organization's minor league prospects has happened much more rapidly than I expected.  Soon BC will need to decide how he is going to proceed when as many as 5 or 6 'veterans' are ready to come back from injury.

I hope that BC is shopping VanMeter, Tsutugo, Marisnick, Chang, and even Gamel and Newman hard to see if there are any takers.  My guess is that only Gamel and Newman may warrant a low level prospect in return.  But, the minor cash received from dealing any of others could off-set the cost of the team pursuing a player like Stroudt.  The team now has suitable replacements on the current roster, and Marcano, Bae, and Swaggerty are just a phone call away.

I hope very little time is devoted to the veterans who are returning from being injured. They're not the future and, in fact, will all likely be gone before next season. The final three plus months is a great opportunity to give the young guys a head start on 2023. Some of them are here before they were supposed to be so why not let them get a good foundation beneath them before next year even begins?

Beyond giving the returning players a couple of weeks of at bats to show other clubs they're healthy and can possibly help down the stretch, there's little reason to play those guys after July 4. The future is just getting started. Don't get in its way.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

3C6A7C68677D6D666B7C4E69636F6762206D0E0 wrote: Quite soon there will be more of the players on the opening day roster who are playing in Indianapolis than in Pittsburgh.

This season's transition to slew of the organization's minor league prospects has happened much more rapidly than I expected.  Soon BC will need to decide how he is going to proceed when as many as 5 or 6 'veterans' are ready to come back from injury.

I hope that BC is shopping VanMeter, Tsutugo, Marisnick, Chang, and even Gamel and Newman hard to see if there are any takers.  My guess is that only Gamel and Newman may warrant a low level prospect in return.  But, the minor cash received from dealing any of others could off-set the cost of the team pursuing a player like Stroudt.  The team now has suitable replacements on the current roster, and Marcano, Bae, and Swaggerty are just a phone call away.

I hope very little time is devoted to the veterans who are returning from being injured.  They're not the future and, in fact, will all likely be gone before next season.  The final three plus months is a great opportunity to give the young guys a head start on 2023.  Some of them are here before they were supposed to be so why not let them get a good foundation beneath them before next year even begins?

Beyond giving the returning players a couple of weeks of at bats to show other clubs they're healthy and can possibly help down the stretch, there's little reason to play those guys after July 4.  The future is just getting started.  Don't get in its way.
I certainly agree with that. Just on the horizon
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Been checking on Mason Martin. Not good. Currently hitting .199
over 61 games with 95 strikeouts in261 at bats.1 for his last
33 with 19 strikeouts. These are Cole Tucker numbers :'(
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Futures Game Participants: C Henry Davis, RHP Mike Burrows
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Does anyone know how Jack Suwinski has been doing since
being sent down?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5967626A7961616A4A6F786B3C0E0 wrote: Does anyone know how Jack Suwinski has been doing since
being sent down?

In one game he is 0-4 with 2 Ks.