Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Ecbucs »

Possum wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:02 pm This thread is creating some interesting discussion about the catching situation. We have 4 guys on the roster who can catch, Davis, Endy, Delay, and Sanchez.
Davis has his defensive deficiencies as a catcher which seem to be unsolvable. So you move him to RF where he is not much better defensively. Do the Bucs need to find an OF whisperer to teach him how to play the OF? If not do they just cut bait and get what they can for him hoping that some other team doesn't help him figure it out? I think his hitting will come around once Davis is settled in one defensive position.
Endy should be the everyday or almost everyday catcher. Of course, he could take a day or two off each week, play 1B, and let Delay move into the starting spot. If Endy is at 1B those two days, he can always move back to catcher late in the game.
I love Delay as the backup. He just does things I like defensively and can get the timely hit.
As far as Sanchez goes, I really don't know anything about him other than he is out of options. Maybe he will battle Delay for the backup slot until he pulls an Austin Hedges and they cut him and bring back Delay. That assumes DeLay has options left.
Davis in right is a million dollar question to me. Did the Bucs see enough out of him to think he can handle the position with more practice? He looked terrible out there much of the time. On the other hand if he hits well he doesn't have to be great defensively in right. I think the Bucs are getting ready to move him out of the catcher position but giving Davis this off season and at least part of spring training to prove them wrong. A plus for moving Davis is there is a chance he could hit better if he wasn't catching too.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:03 pm
mouse wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:20 pm I wonder about Davis. He doesn't seem to actually have a position. Unless his defense in right improves, he's not an outfielder, and he hasn't shown (or had opportunity to show) that he can be an ML catcher. He would be my first thought on a trade candidate if they decide to thin the catcher ranks. Sanchez, I understand, is out of minor league options, so he couldn't be stashed there. Delay seems to show solid promise as a back-up, but he may have options remaining. of the group, Davis is basically the odd man out.
If they move Davis the return better be good. I agree catching may not be his future position, I would continue to see how his play in the outfield develops. I do think his bat will play big time in the Major Leagues. I could see him hitting around 35 homers each year.
If Davis is not an OFer and not a catcher and was very disappointing as a hitter (.213), he's not much of a trade candidate. He's going to have to show prospective trade partners that he has significant value and is worth something substantial in exchange. That could happen by making huge strides at the MLB level in 2024 or going back to AAA and tearing it up there. But right now, the return for him would be disappointing for a 1st overall pick just 2 years ago, and if he reaches his potential with another team, the Pirates would regret getting so little for him.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I’m curious as to why Davis’s skills as a catcher are now considered to be so poor. I thought I’d read leading up to him being drafted that he was pretty good behind the plate. So what happened? How is it that he became so bad at it that they won’t let him continue to catch?

I still believe he’s going to be a pretty good hitter, and one with power to boot. I hope the Front Office hasn’t given up on him completely. I’d like to see him in the line-up everyday. If RF is to be where they try to hide him, so be it. He’s demonstrated an outstanding work ethic since high school so there’s a chance he can make himself serviceable out there.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Doc wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:34 pm I’m curious as to why Davis’s skills as a catcher are now considered to be so poor. I thought I’d read leading up to him being drafted that he was pretty good behind the plate. So what happened? How is it that he became so bad at it that they won’t let him continue to catch?

I still believe he’s going to be a pretty good hitter, and one with power to boot. I hope the Front Office hasn’t given up on him completely. I’d like to see him in the line-up everyday. If RF is to be where they try to hide him, so be it. He’s demonstrated an outstanding work ethic since high school so there’s a chance he can make himself serviceable out there.
I think that Davis as a catcher came about when Endy broke out big in 2022. Endy is a much better defensive player and he switch hits. I wonder about the Bucs scouting dept and the Davis pick. I think that he was a 1st rounder but not #1 overall. Knowing Nutting, Davis was a value pick who signed below slot so they could pay over-slot money to lower-round prospects. You make some great points about Davis' work ethic and how he cheers his teammates on when they help get a win.
Let's Go Bucs
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I'm not jumping to any conclusions about Davis. The situation was confusing enough after they brought him up.

Shelton was on MLB Network with Brian Kenney today. About the most significant thing he said was Cruz was in the DR playing, hitting, running, stealing bases, playing short stop and moving well.

He was asked two players who should be in the HOF. His two picks were Dave Parker and Bobby Grich. Two excellent choices.

He likes the pitch clock the way it is, he doesn't feel it necessary to reduce it two more seconds. He's not in favor of robo umps, but is okay with a challenge system, however he pointed out that it could cause some dillemas if there are only three challenges, and one player could do it in one AB.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

# 9 spot In the draft. Time to get to work. Might be many long years before Pirates draft this high again. Need to take advantage.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Pirates pick up pitcher - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/ ... zales.html

No word I've seen on who the player to be named later may be.
Possum

Post by Possum »

mouse wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:10 am Pirates pick up pitcher - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/ ... zales.html

No word I've seen on who the player to be named later may be.
This deal sounds like Nutting's desire to avoid any risk. The guy is coming cheap because Seattle and Atlanta ate some of his salary. He looks like a young version of Rich Hill who might be able to move him at the deadline for some scrap. Typical Nutting type deal.
Let's Go Bucs