What would another GM do?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

Post by Tintin »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: Actually, I think Perotto's problem started further back than that. He used to run a Pirates web-site for Nutting, but then got fired. Perotto has been testy since then.

Exactly right. When he left the Beaver County Times, he sent everyone a nasty email and attacked them professionally and personally.

I would think more media heads would be all over the Nuttings if they were being questioned about their payroll. Perotto isn't the only media head who hates the Pirates.

I don't like pErotto because he never says anything positive about the Pirates, without offering other solutions.

I get criticizing when it's deserved, but clowns like him talk about things like payroll but never say "the Pirates should have given xx players a six year deal for 42 million".... or "the PIrates should haven been prepared for their starting 3b getting his third dui and their best outfielder injecting ostrich testestone in his pinky toe".

If you are going to do nothing but criticize, give solutions. If not, you sound like Nutting is cheap guy. Where should this money have been spent this offseason? I want details.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Who are the good writers?
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

could have had Pete Kozma to play all IF positions

I think Rangers had first shot at him?

http://www.lonestarball.com/2017/4/30/1 ... on-waivers
Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

6A57504A57503E0 wrote: Actually, I think Perotto's problem started further back than that. He used to run a Pirates web-site for Nutting, but then got fired. Perotto has been testy since then.

Exactly right. When he left the Beaver County Times, he sent everyone a nasty email and attacked them professionally and personally.

I would think more media heads would be all over the Nuttings if they were being questioned about their payroll. Perotto isn't the only media head who hates the Pirates.

I don't like pErotto because he never says anything positive about the Pirates, without offering other solutions.

I get criticizing when it's deserved, but clowns like him talk about things like payroll but never say "the Pirates should have given xx players a six year deal for 42 million".... or "the PIrates should haven been prepared for their starting 3b getting his third dui and their best outfielder injecting ostrich testestone in his pinky toe".

If you are going to do nothing but criticize, give solutions.  If not, you sound like Nutting is cheap guy.  Where should this money have been spent this offseason?  I want details.

It's weird how the good reporters crack when covering the Bucs. Perotto used to be fairly well-regarded, often reporting news and stories before others. Dejan was a top-notch reporter, then he snapped and got angry too - though I kind of understand it, as he'd reported on and followed the Bucs through much of their epic losing streak. Perotto seems to have waited until things improved to lose it.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote:

Yeah, I get that April or May is not the time to move significant parts.  This is a hypothetical discussion.  I imagine that everyone who favors building this team through trades, like myself, the FO would be forced to wait until the market is strongest. 

So while I personally think it's crazy to be determined to hold a ~.500 team together, I don't expect or advocate April or May

Trades.

Meh.  Suppose a team that fully expects to contend loses a starter tomorrow.  Maybe they lose a star outfielder for the season, or someone from high in the rotation.  In that case, there COULD be a demand now.  IF that becomes the case, we entertain offers.  IF we like the offer, we accept, if not, we wait.  Standard operating procedure, with a larger window than usual in which we're willing to entertain offers.

The season is done for the Pirates now.  You won't see me saying anything like this prior to this thread, but I'll stand by it for the rest of the season. It's not really much of a risk to do so, as I strongly believe it's an obvious and blatant situation.  From hereon out, you act with that knowledge WRT everything you do for this team. 

Also, I heard a podcast around the middle of the month where John Perotto comes right out and said that MLB was upset with the Nuttings because of the profit they're turning without putting enough back into the team, and that the MLPA feels the same way.  With that in mind, I'm more inclined than ever to turn it over and trade for new talent.  They won't be spending to improve the team, they won't even bring in mid-tier talent - just marginal guys they thing have been under performing and hoping for a bounce.

The podcast I mentioned above.  The part I'm talking about starts around the 16 minute mark.

I don't have much hope for the near future, given our apparently lackluster Latin American system right now, and the lack of high draft picks the past several years.  Heck, most of our highly-touted prospects that WERE drafted high did not turn out to be as good as we'd hoped in recent years, so I don't hold out much hope for late-round picks.

Some very interesting comments from Perotto in that podcast. He thinks the Pirates rely too much on statistical analysis and that their brain trust thinks they know more than anyone else. He also said that Nutting ordered NH to reduce payroll for 2017 because attendance went down last year.

Nutting needed that 600K he saved in letting Sano sign with the Twins.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

270C00090C0D575A630 wrote: Actually, I think Perotto's problem started further back than that. He used to run a Pirates web-site for Nutting, but then got fired. Perotto has been testy since then.

If you are going to do nothing but criticize, give solutions.  If not, you sound like Nutting is cheap guy.  Where should this money have been spent this offseason?  I want details.

It's weird how the good reporters crack when covering the Bucs.  Perotto used to be fairly well-regarded, often reporting news and stories before others.  Dejan was a top-notch reporter, then he snapped and got angry too - though I kind of understand it, as he'd reported on and followed the Bucs through much of their epic losing streak.  Perotto seems to have waited until things improved to lose it.

Dejan's Hoka Hey, complete non-issue effort to raise eyebrows and create something out of nothing is probably the worst sports reporting I've ever read. The worst. I laugh when I see anyone take him serious. But I guess you've got to get your clicks, or whatever. Keep in mind I Pirate fan from a long distance away. I don't listen to Pittsburgh sports radio or read your newspapers. I go to a couple of blogs and get their take. I read the team site sometimes. I watch and make my own judgements.

The absolute best writer I've read in the past 15 years of tracking the Bucs online was Tom Singer. He was the MLB beat writer for us the past few years and passed away last winter. That guy could write -- in the good old-fashioned turn-a-clever phase, draw a laugh, create great emotion kind of way. He was a great writer. I was always surprised how few of the posters here read his game recaps. I truly miss him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The thing is, it's too easy to just dismiss any negative reports simply because we may not like the reporter. In my case, when Perrotto opines that the Pirates' FO thinks they're smarter than everyone else, that may be his bias. But when he says he was told by people in the commissioner's office that both that office and the union are unhappy with the Pirates' use of revenue, I doubt he's flat out lying.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Did the Union and Commissioner's office just tell Perotto or did they tell others too? It would seem to be a good story. If someone who reports it that I give credibility to, I will listen.

You would also think this would be a national story and reported on major networks. I doubt this info would be given to some blogger or even a small newspaper like the Beaver County Times.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

7F747C7075746F2A2C5B627A7374743578741B0 wrote: Did the Union and Commissioner's office just tell Perotto or did they tell others too?  It would seem to be a good story. If someone who reports it that I give credibility to, I will listen.

You would also think this would be a national story and reported on major networks. I doubt this info would be given to some blogger or even a small newspaper like the Beaver County Times.

But saying "I was told the league is mad at Nutting for hording revenue", isn't journalism. It's middle school reporting.

Get a source that will speak on the record or don't report and write it.

Dude was fired by the Pirates and has a beef against them. See how easy it is making opinions into facts?
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

4F72756F72751B0 wrote: Did the Union and Commissioner's office just tell Perotto or did they tell others too?  It would seem to be a good story. If someone who reports it that I give credibility to, I will listen.

But saying "I was told the league is mad at Nutting for hording revenue", isn't journalism.  It's middle school reporting.

Get a source that will speak on the record or don't report and write it. 

Dude was fired by the Pirates and has a beef against them.  See how easy it is making opinions into facts?

Sports reporters always use protected sources. Every trade rumor, every internal story at odds with the team talking point.

Just stick with the MLB team website, Greg brown and Root Sports and you should have your wish.