Let the rumor mill begin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates have decent prospects they can trade to get a quality starting pitcher. Let’s take a look at who they can give up. They have 3 quality middle infielders in the Minors in Tucker,Newman, and Kramer who they can definitely part with one. They have a guy like KeBryan Hayes who is a 3rd baseman and can bring back value for him. You got two pretty good starting pitchers in Taylor Hearn and Mitch Keller who you can get something decent for. You got a guy like Will Craig who looks like he can be a Major Leaguer at 1st base, and even Jason Martin who they got in the Cole deal can bring you back value looking at his Minor League  numbers. And you also have guys who have been on the  Major League team such as Meadows,Osuna and Glasnow who currently is who you can trade and probably get a good return for. So I don’t want to hear the Pirates don’t have the players, the prospects or god forbid the money to swing a deal and get a decent return back. All the names I just mentioned any combo of them can definitely bring you back a quality proven Major League starting pitcher who is affordable.
OrlandoMerced

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I didn't realize DeGrom is lights out this yearm even for him. You're looking at atleast Keller and Meadows.
Quail

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Quail »

6A4D5C585D407F4B5C5D5D40390 wrote: The Pirates have decent prospects they can trade to get a quality starting pitcher. Let’s take a look at who they can give up. They have 3 quality middle infielders in the Minors in Tucker,Newman, and Kramer who they can definitely part with one. They have a guy like KeBryan Hayes who is a 3rd baseman and can bring back value for him. You got two pretty good starting pitchers in Taylor Hearn and Mitch Keller who you can get something decent for. You got a guy like Will Craig who looks like he can be a Major Leaguer at 1st base, and even Jason Martin who they got in the Cole deal can bring you back value looking at his Minor League  numbers. And you also have guys who have been on the  Major League team such as Meadows,Osuna and Glasnow who currently is who you can trade and probably get a good return for. So I don’t want to hear the Pirates don’t have the players, the prospects or god forbid the money to swing a deal and get a decent return back. All the names I just mentioned any combo of them can definitely bring you back a quality proven Major League starting pitcher who is affordable.

Depending on the trade target (ie not a rental) I would also suggest that Moran, Bell or Kuhl could be added as a MLB ready piece that has some real value (talent and low cost) and an internal replacement available.
Bobster21

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Bobster21 »

09342A272822290B2334252322460 wrote: I didn't realize DeGrom is lights out this yearm even for him. You're looking at atleast Keller and Meadows.
The Pirates don't operate that way. But just for the sake of argument, let's say they would. DeGrom is arb eligible the next 2 years and a FA in 2021. So let's say hell freezes over and they would pay him what he could get in arb for each of 2 years. There's still no way they keep him as a FA. So we're talking about a maximum of 2 years of service. So it wouldn't be worth giving up good prospects with long futures like Keller and Meadows unless there was an overall strategy to assemble a very competitive team in those next 2 years and not one that hopes to overachieve despite expectations of 78-82 wins. That means improving the team at 1B, 2B and SS. Or at least not trying to get out of paying Harrison the next 2 years. Maybe Kang comes back and produces. Maybe Bell finds power again. We know Mercer will be replaced so that needs to be a quality addition even if internal. But where there's a weakness, it would need to be addressed. Otherwise, just adding DeGrom or another quality starter wouldn't make enough of a difference to justify trading top prospects.
SammyKhalifa

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4E636E7F78697E3E3D0C0 wrote: I didn't realize DeGrom is lights out this yearm even for him. You're looking at atleast Keller and Meadows.
The Pirates don't operate that way. But just for the sake of argument, let's say they would. DeGrom is arb eligible the next 2 years and a FA in 2021. So let's say hell freezes over and they would pay him what he could get in arb for each of 2 years. There's still no way they keep him as a FA. So we're talking about a maximum of 2 years of service. So it wouldn't be worth giving up good prospects with long futures like Keller and Meadows unless there was an overall strategy to assemble a very competitive team in those next 2 years and not one that hopes to overachieve despite expectations of 78-82 wins. That means improving the team at 1B, 2B and SS. Or at least not trying to get out of paying Harrison the next 2 years. Maybe Kang comes back and produces. Maybe Bell finds power again. We know Mercer will be replaced so that needs to be a quality addition even if internal. But where there's a weakness, it would need to be addressed. Otherwise, just adding DeGrom or another quality starter wouldn't make enough of a difference to justify trading top prospects. 

A popular name getting floated around here in speculation is the return of JA Happ
Bobster21

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Bobster21 »

53616D6D794B68616C696661000 wrote: I didn't realize DeGrom is lights out this yearm even for him. You're looking at atleast Keller and Meadows.

A popular name getting floated around here in speculation is the return of JA Happ

Happ is a FA next year so that would be a 2-month rental with the idea that they have a legit chance THIS season. So the question would be how much they would have to give up to get him in hopes of getting to the post season THIS year. That requires staying hot the rest of the season and passing 3 other teams for the 2nd WC spot, the best of which is currently 11 over .500 compared to the Pirates' 3 over. Despite the current hot streak, that's still a very uphill climb. But I'd like to have Happ and hopefully, it wouldn't take too much to get him since he's a FA at the end of the year anyway. But I would not give up one of their top prospects on a huge gamble that 2018 is going to wind up being a very special season.
OrlandoMerced

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'd trade a Jennings or Uselton for Happ, not much more than that.
iabucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by iabucco »

042924353223347477460 wrote: I didn't realize DeGrom is lights out this yearm even for him. You're looking at atleast Keller and Meadows.

I think you are right but a lot of that depends on Bell. Was last year the aberration or was this year. If you ad DeGrom, you have a starting rotation of DeGrom, Taillon, Musgrove and some combination of Kingham, Nova and Williams. Kuhl can go to the bullpen. If the Pirates deem Luplow or Martin close to Meadows then Meadows should be tradeable. If you can do a Keller and Meadows and then some prospects in the 20's that isn't a bad deal.

I agree. This should be part of a plan and if they do it the Pirates should sign Dickerson and possibly additional help. They are in an odd situation because Kang could be a big help and Newman may be an upgrade over Mercer but adding another plus player to the infield would really make this team interesting. I just think we have valued our prospects too much and if they can get a DeGrom that gives them a chance to get to the playoffs and actually win a series or one game playoff.
Bobster21

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Bobster21 »

Actually, I expect Bell to start hitting HRs anytime now. Until a few weeks ago, that was nearly impossible as he constantly chopped down on the ball or alligator armed it. But for the past few weeks, he's getting a level swing with arms extended and he's driving the ball. He's very strong. He was getting singles even with the bad swings. Now he's hitting gaps and getting the ball to the wall. I think we'll soon see the guy who hit 26 HRs last year. Getting a late start on power but he might still hit 15 or so. The problem is that he needs to swing well consistently. If he goes back to the same bad swings this year or next, he'll still be a problem with the bad as well as his defensive woes.
fjk090852-7

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by fjk090852-7 »

One prospect who most people don’t mention as a trade candidate is Will Craig. He is having a nice season at Altoona, and he is a player who they could trade. I would prefer to move Craig over Hayes. Hayes is a very good fielding third baseman, which I personally feel is a player the Pirates can use maybe in the later months of 2019. I like Moran, but Hayes has more range than Moran.