The year of PLayoff and Wild Card berths

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

I agree with Ben. Tampa didn't want to give up playing NY and Boston, two big draws, even though that might have given them a better shot at the playoffs. The real problem here is that you have the big market teams and the small market teams at the table, but no one representing the fans at the table.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

37352F293F5A0 wrote: I agree with Ben. Tampa didn't want to give up playing NY and Boston, two big draws, even though that might have given them a better shot at the playoffs. The real problem here is that you have the big market teams and the small market teams at the table, but no one representing the fans at the table.

but I bet Tampa owners would like it even more for a better share of the Boston or YES network television dollars.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Morton last year, Walker Buehler this year. If the Pirates trade Nova this offseason, I’m flying to Vegas and laying money on his new team to be in the Fall Classic.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Here’s what Adam Wainwright said about Buehler on Twitter:

“I guarantee that anybody who played against or saw @buehlersdayoff pitch this season isn’t surprised at all by how he’s pitching tonight.  Hands down best stuff I saw in person all year from a starting pitcher.  Nasty.  #WorldSeries2018”

This guy should be in our rotation. How did we not sign this guy? I have to admit, when we drafted him, I said to myself, “Self, anybody with the name 'Buehler,' can’t be that great. No big deal.” Wow was I ever wrong.

We sign the Newmans and Kramers of the world while letting Trey Turner walk away. And we sign all sorts of pitchers, dozens even, and let a guy like this walk. I’m ticked tonight.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

585053647257707F110 wrote: Here’s what Adam Wainwright said about Buehler on Twitter:

“I guarantee that anybody who played against or saw @buehlersdayoff pitch this season isn’t surprised at all by how he’s pitching tonight.  Hands down best stuff I saw in person all year from a starting pitcher.  Nasty.  #WorldSeries2018”

This guy should be in our rotation. How did we not sign this guy? I have to admit, when we drafted him, I said to myself, “Self, anybody with the name 'Buehler,' can’t be that great. No big deal.” Wow was I ever wrong.

We sign the Newmans and Kramers of the world while letting Trey Turner walk away. And we sign all sorts of pitchers, dozens even, and let a guy like this walk. I’m ticked tonight.

Frustrating isn't it? But like me, you will be coming back for more of the SOS (Same Old Stuff) in 2019.
mouse

Post by mouse »

We are now at a point where teams have an exclusive window until Friday to sign their free agents?
PMike

Post by PMike »

191112253316313E500 wrote: Here’s what Adam Wainwright said about Buehler on Twitter:

Ok, so I don't necessarily disagree. I went back and looked at the PP coverage from back then. It wasn't like he was a slam dunk prospect in 2012. He was out of HS as a righty and throwing 90-94. He was projected as a mid 2nd round guy with sign ability issues and a strong commitment to Vandy. He fell through because of Boras/Appel wanting a ton of money...and then didn't sign.

But Buehler didn't sign until the 15th round. Everyone else passed on him 12+ times because they thought he wouldn't sign and/or didn't see it in him.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Oops. Does baseball have a problem?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2513 ... tings-down
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7A78626472170 wrote: Oops. Does baseball have a problem?

I wonder how many Yankee fans watched?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4F4D575147220 wrote: Oops. Does baseball have a problem?

Interesting. It's always believed that MLB wants the big market teams like Boston, LA and NY in the WS for greater fan interest. This should have been an ideal matchup for ratings. And yet ratings were down 25% from from last year and the 4th lowest ever.

The article adds that the only WS with fewer average viewers were Philadelphia vs Tampa Bay in 2008, SF vs Detroit in 2012 SF vs KC in 2014. Those were matchups that predictably would not appeal to a more widespread audience as they lacked the big market appeal. But now it looks like people are tuning out the marquee matchups MLB loves so much. Either because they are tired of money being the major difference in MLB or else they are just losing interest in MLB. Maybe MLB should see this as a wake up call and try to bring parity to the game instead of having a system that all but guarantees the same few teams will be in the hunt each year.