Possible start to season in May-

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Post by shedman »

6A4C4D5A4C5C2F0 wrote: I would be willing to accept any Division realignment, playoff structure, and even the DH in the National League in exchange for a strict enforcement of a salary floor in baseball.  There just has to be some way to get Nutting to pay up or get out!

I don't see how a floor is going to help the Pirates at all.  the team just would always spend a little above the floor, and contending teams will spend a lot more.
_______
The way it would help the Pirates is that if the floor was about $500 million over a 5 year period, BOB would likely sell the team before paying the $100 million per year. A salary cap would have no effect at all, because there is no way in God's green earth that BOB will ever reach that cap.
BenM

Post by BenM »

075147535C46565D5047755258545C591B56350 wrote: I would be willing to accept any Division realignment, playoff structure, and even the DH in the National League in exchange for a strict enforcement of a salary floor in baseball.  There just has to be some way to get Nutting to pay up or get out!

We know he's not going to pay up.  He has to be run out of the game.  We as fans won't be able to do it.  The other owners have to force him out, which probably won't happen, a very rich person has to make him an offer he can't turn down, or he has to be involved in an unseemly scandal.  As long as he maintains ownership, it's unlikely this city will ever see a World Series again.

Yeah, it sounds like Mark Cuban did some due diligence on buying the team and walked away.

Cuban could definitely afford them, so I don't know what it would take for Nutting to walk away. If anything. Especially since the bulk of his wealth (newspapers) peaked last century.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

BOB is on thin ice as it is with whatever base remains.

The DH forces teams to invest in quality pitching and defense- two of our Achilles heels- or run the risk of fan apathy.  Instead of eight tough outs, there are nine with the designated hitter.

So, BOB would need to buy the "bat" plus more than one "arm,"  and "gloves." That right there is enough to rid the city of that incompetent miserly carpetbagger once and for all.

He'll never field a team that can step it up enough to do much of anything.

That leaves it up to fans to make whatever decisions they will.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

554E43424B4748260 wrote: I would be willing to accept any Division realignment, playoff structure, and even the DH in the National League in exchange for a strict enforcement of a salary floor in baseball.  There just has to be some way to get Nutting to pay up or get out!

I don't see how a floor is going to help the Pirates at all.  the team just would always spend a little above the floor, and contending teams will spend a lot more.
_______
The way it would help the Pirates is that if the floor was about $500 million over a 5 year period, BOB would likely sell the team before paying the $100 million per year. A salary cap would have no effect at all, because there is no way in God's green earth that BOB will ever reach that cap.

Whatever rules might be established for spending by the owners, we know that Nutting will not only be opposed to them, but he'll do everything he can to minimize their impact on his payroll. He'll skirt them, ignore them, and even break them for as long as he can. It's simply who he is.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Is he talking about BOB......or, Dave?

Kidding.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1F3833105D0 wrote: I would be willing to accept any Division realignment, playoff structure, and even the DH in the National League in exchange for a strict enforcement of a salary floor in baseball.  There just has to be some way to get Nutting to pay up or get out!

We know he's not going to pay up.  He has to be run out of the game.  We as fans won't be able to do it.  The other owners have to force him out, which probably won't happen, a very rich person has to make him an offer he can't turn down, or he has to be involved in an unseemly scandal.  As long as he maintains ownership, it's unlikely this city will ever see a World Series again.

Yeah, it sounds like Mark Cuban did some due diligence on buying the team and walked away.

Cuban could definitely afford them, so I don't know what it would take for Nutting to walk away. If anything. Especially since the bulk of his wealth (newspapers) peaked last century.

I haven't read anything as to why Cuban declined to seriously pursue trying to obtain the Pirates. Maybe he never said why. But he's about as shrewd a businessman as there is. I can't imagine him ever making a bad deal for himself. I wonder if he got as far as talking with Nutting about a potential deal? If so, and talks ended, I wonder what the price Nutting asked, or the price Cuban offered?
shedman

Post by shedman »

1C293E3E350C3E3E35323E5B0 wrote: Is he talking about BOB......or, Dave?

Kidding.
_____
Is Wildwood a cheapskate?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

That's a matter of opinion.

What's fact is that he doesn't pay up on bets. :)
shedman

Post by shedman »

5D687F7F744D7F7F74737F1A0 wrote: That's a matter of opinion.

What's fact is that he doesn't pay up on bets.  :)
-----
it's hard to believe that Wildwood is a welcher.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

0D5B4D59564C5C575A4D7F58525E5653115C3F0 wrote: I would be willing to accept any Division realignment, playoff structure, and even the DH in the National League in exchange for a strict enforcement of a salary floor in baseball.  There just has to be some way to get Nutting to pay up or get out!

I haven't read anything as to why Cuban declined to seriously pursue trying to obtain the Pirates.  Maybe he never said why.  But he's about as shrewd a businessman as there is.  I can't imagine him ever making a bad deal for himself.  I wonder if he got as far as talking with Nutting about a potential deal?  If so, and talks ended, I wonder what the price Nutting asked, or the price Cuban offered?

These are the reason Cuban has little interest in the Pirates as well as MLB IMO!
No. For a few reasons,” Cuban wrote. “First is my kids are too much fun. I inquired when I was still single.

“Second, baseball is in a heap of hurt. It’s not just that attendance is falling, but rather they seem to fight any new idea that does not have a clock assigned to it. It’s a shame. Maybe gambling will bring in new fans. But right now, young kids are not interested in baseball unless their parents force them in that direction.”