Predict the 28 man roster for next Thursday

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

First, a bit of moaning --- Why VanMeter, a player who likely has little present and clearly no future with the Pirates. Castillo continued to look good against the Red Sox yesterday, as did Madris. I don't understand wasting a roster spot on VanMeter.

With respect to position players, I assume that Alford will be assigned to the IL to start the season, and I would like to see the Bucs put Hayes on the IL (let him mend and get some rehab at-bats at AAA), and add Castillo to the players identified by Surginbuck.

The pitching staff identified by Surginbuck also looks pretty spot on. Keller, Brubaker, Crowe, Quintana and Thompson as the initial 5 starters, with Peters, Underwood, Wilson and Eickhoff readily able to go more than 1 inning. That said, still a lot of replaceable arms among this group. The only thing that may keep some of these pitchers around longer than they should be is the lack of other (equal or better) arms at AA or AAA.

Lastly, nice to watch what was mostly an assortment of minor league players win out over many of the Red Sox regulars yesterday afternoon. By the end of the game, even knowledgeable Pirate fans would have been challenged to recognize all of the players who appeared for the Pirates.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

321413060F0314020A610 wrote: Not a contest, just looking to see what people are looking at. Not sure if many are TBH. There will be 28, no limit on pitchers.

Here's what I think:

Pitchers (14)- Banda, Bednar, Brubaker, Crowe, Hembree, Howard, Keller, Peters, Quintana, Stratton, Thompson, Underwood, Wilson and Jared Eickhoff will be added from the non roster invite list.

Position players (14) R. Perez, M. Perez, Tsutsugo, Vogelbach, Hayes, Chavis, Tucker, Park, Newman, Castillo, Reynolds, Gamel, Allen, VanMeter

do you think some players will go on 60 day d.l. and some may be released? 

To me, Alford's spot is in jeopardy and a spot is needed for second catcher,

I believe Alford is as good as gone. I think it's pretty telling he never set foot on the field in back to back home games this late in ST.

IDK right now if anyone is injured that they would go on the 60 day. But haven't seen some of the pitchers, most notably Kranick and Yajure. IDK if they are injured. Swaggerty I believe has the shoulder issue, I can easily see him on the 60. I just read that Alford was day to day with a hand. Swaggerty is on the 40 man roster, so yes I believe you nailed this one, and I think he starts the season there. I do believe he was DH the other day.

Shelton said today on the broadcast he'll know what the rotation will be a couple days before going to The Loo. I'm guessing they'll have made what ever moves by then. They played a lot of guys from Pirate City today after the starters all got their 3 AB's. So I try and kind of read the tea leaves a bit based on what I'm seeing with substitutions and such.

Sunday is their last home game for ST. I think it will be very telling who is playing and who isn't.
It has been announced that Brubaker will get the start in the Opener in St. Louis
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

BC just said they plan to start with 14 pitchers and 14 position players.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: BC just said they plan to start with 14 pitchers and 14 position players.
That should open a spot for Castro or Madris.Both could possibly make the team if Allen goes on DL from the hamstring injury of today.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

222E2F747D747C71766973440 wrote: BC just said they plan to start with 14 pitchers and 14 position players.
That should open a spot for Castro or Madris.Both  could  possibly make the team if Allen goes on DL from the hamstring injury of today.
That's sad, Allen looked to be part of an actual competent major league outfield for the Pirates. Him, Reynolds, and Gamel no doubt the best we've seen since at least 2 of the players were Marte and McCutchen.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1D3B3C29202C3B2D254E0 wrote: BC just said they plan to start with 14 pitchers and 14 position players.
That should open a spot for Castro or Madris.Both  could  possibly make the team if Allen goes on DL from the hamstring injury of today.
That's sad, Allen looked to be part of an actual competent major league outfield for the Pirates. Him, Reynolds, and Gamel no doubt the best we've seen since at least 2 of the players were Marte and McCutchen.
Hamstring- sound familiar doc?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7B4540485B434348684D5A491E2C0 wrote: BC just said they plan to start with 14 pitchers and 14 position players.
Hamstring- sound familiar doc?

Brutal, frustrating, nagging, debilitating injury.  I feel for anyone who suffers through one of those.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Something must be up with the backup catcher situation. Taylor Davis, M.Perez, and J.Ritchie were assigned to minor league camp today.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Greg Allen is going on the DL. Not yet determined if it is 10 day or 60 day DL.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

The signing of VanMeter looks even more ridiculous now. The current active roster features 1 catcher, 9 infielders, and 3 outfielders, one of whom, Allen, is going on the DL.

With both VanMeter (not announced, but I assume that he will) and Castillo making the team, Park could be headed to the minors unless the Pirates plan to regularly use him in the Of.

Unless VanMeter can suddenly master the craft (with no experience) of being the back-up catcher, this move by BC continues to baffle me.